Problem with Raceface Evolve DH crank installation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Problem with Raceface Evolve DH crank installation

Hi all.
    Tonight i was installing my new set of Evolve DH cranks. Anyway iread over instructions carefully, checked i had correct amount of spacers and such, made sure i did no cross threading and proceeded to install everything as per what it says in the included instructions. All was going well until I got to the part of installing the driveside crank onto the spindle. When i was about 3 turns in it became near impossible for both me and my dad to tighten the bloody thing. On a yellow slip that was wrapped around the spider, it says that the crank will need a high torque to get the 8 mm crankbolt to bottom in the spider. After doing it a couple of times it seemed to loosen up and was easier to tighten and install. However when the bolt is bottomed, the crank dosent spin freely, so i checked the troubleshooting in the instructions and it said to remove 1 of the white spacers on the non drive side crank and reinstall. after tightening all the way, the crank spins alot more freely, but now sounds like it is rubbing on something. Could this be a badly alligned BB? Tmoz im gonna take it all apart again and start over. did anyone else how has these cranks have to put a huge amount of force to get the darn crankbolt to bottom. Sorry if i sound vague, but im dead tired from 3hrs of trying to get these cranks working.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    this may not be related, but was the BB faced?

mtbr member
    I used that crank on my Vagrant. The Transition website stated that I had a 68mm BB shell, so I used all the spacers to make that correct. After tightening it a bit, it wasn't feeling right and the crank wouldn't turn freely. I decided to measure the BB shell. It was actually 73mm, so I removed the spacers and now everything has been peachy. Make sure you aren't having the same problem.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

Members who have read this thread: 0