Problem with 06 Kona Stinky anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Problem with 06 Kona Stinky anyone?

I wanted to know if anyone is having the same problem with their Stinky that I am having. I have an 06 Kona Stinky Primo that I have done a few upgrades with. I am a big guy at 250lbs. and the rear triangle has a lot of flex, mainly due to the rocker arms not being reinforced (i think). I LOVE this bike, but the result is that I get a lot of brake whine and it is starting to get a little soft when I really push. It comes with the Race Face Diablos cranks, so I know it's not them. I know another big guy who rides a Stinky and he is having the same problem. Has this been happening to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by imarttheman
    I wanted to know if anyone is having the same problem with their Stinky that I am having. I have an 06 Kona Stinky Primo that I have done a few upgrades with. I am a big guy at 250lbs. and the rear triangle has a lot of flex, mainly due to the rocker arms not being reinforced (i think). I LOVE this bike, but the result is that I get a lot of brake whine and it is starting to get a little soft when I really push. It comes with the Race Face Diablos cranks, so I know it's not them. I know another big guy who rides a Stinky and he is having the same problem. Has this been happening to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions?
    If it's flex in the rockers, it wouldn't explain the issue with the rotors rubbing. To help make the rear end stiffer. Go to a stepped 12mm bolt-on axle, or even a 10mm bolt-on axle will be significantly stiffer than a QR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    +1 on the axle.. going to thru-axle versus the QR is night and day. I ride a bullit and had a qr hub to start. i switched out to a solid axle and it was almost night and day.that will tie the rear end together well.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    +1 on the axle.. going to thru-axle versus the QR is night and day. I ride a bullit and had a qr hub to start. i switched out to a solid axle and it was almost night and day.that will tie the rear end together well.
    There's a difference between a thru-axle and a bolt-on axle. A thru-axle involves an axle that slides through the frame and hub and is secured on the ends and by pinch bolts. Bolt-on is just a threaded axle with two nuts. But yeah, I noticed a huge difference when I went from XT QRs to a stepped 12mm rear axle on my Coiler. Since then, I've gone to bolt-ons with all my bikes. I never really did trust QRs, because they'd always work loose.

pwn3rator
    maybe your bearings are shot...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    maybe your bearings are shot...
    Possible, but since his rotor is deflecting and scraping the pads, I still think it's wheel flex. When you swap your bearings, see if you can get some needle bearings for your frame. Much much stiffer. Oh, and check your hubs for any looseness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This is the Primo and it comes with bolt on through axle in the rear. It has Maxxis Dee Max wheels and hubs. I checked them and they seem to be tight, but I appreciate the suggestions.

mtbr member
    I don't know if it's the same problem, but a guy from Germany had this happen to his '06 Stinky.

Cynical Bystander
    This is the Primo and it comes with bolt on through axle in the rear. It has Maxxis Dee Max wheels and hubs. I checked them and they seem to be tight, but I appreciate the suggestions.
    Is your rear brake rotor always rubbing? Perhaps it's a bent rotor or even the caliper not being aligned correctly. If it's the caliper you might need to face the brake mounts to square them out.

As far as it being the wheels it could jsut be that for the situations you've put them in they tend to flex, giving the feeling of a flexy rear end. Not necessarily that the spokes or anything are loose, the might just flex a decent bit.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Ninja Please
    Jan 2004
    I doubt it's the Dee Max wheels flexing. I'd check the rear brake out real good. My brake whines a little on my stinky. No flex though. Just get used to it and forget about it like I did.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Is your rear brake rotor always rubbing? Perhaps it's a bent rotor or even the caliper not being aligned correctly. If it's the caliper you might need to face the brake mounts to square them out.
    bit.
    I agree and do the bolt on axles with instead of the QR's
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pro Crastinator
    seems strange your new Stinky wouldn't have the cross bracing. my wifes new '05 Dawg has the bolt-on cross bracing at the rocker links. they seem fairly stiff, as i am a heavier guy also. i do feel it would stiffen up a great deal with a bolt-on rear axle...
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 01-23-2007 at 10:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I took the bike to the shop and they aligned the brakes and the rotor is good. It is not so much the brake whine that I am worried about as it is the possibility of damaging something else. I am sure that with that much flex, my bearings are going to wear out faster. I have only had the bike for about a month and 1/2 and I am already starting to see some indications of slop in some of the bearings. I also checked, and none of the 2006 Stinky's have any cross bracing on the rocker arms. The Coiler does, but not the Stinky. Thanks for all the input the pictures of that German guy's bike were nuts. I really hope that doesn't happen to me.

Glad to Be Alive
    I took the bike to the shop and they aligned the brakes and the rotor is good. It is not so much the brake whine that I am worried about as it is the possibility of damaging something else. I am sure that with that much flex, my bearings are going to wear out faster. I have only had the bike for about a month and 1/2 and I am already starting to see some indications of slop in some of the bearings. I also checked, and none of the 2006 Stinky's have any cross bracing on the rocker arms. The Coiler does, but not the Stinky. Thanks for all the input the pictures of that German guy's bike were nuts. I really hope that doesn't happen to me.
    make your own cross braces
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    make your own cross braces
    Do you think that will affect my warranty?

Glad to Be Alive

wORRIED ABOUT WARRANTY THEN I would make some clamps.......very easy......make some boxes with a thick piece of medal and two bolts and screws holding the clamp together....watch the tire path

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    wORRIED ABOUT WARRANTY THEN I would make some clamps.......very easy......make some boxes with a thick piece of medal and two bolts and screws holding the clamp together....watch the tire path
    Thanks, I'll try that. I just didn't want something else to go wrong and Kona tell me they couldn't do anything because I was messing with it. If it's bolt on like that, then they'll never know.

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks, I'll try that. I just didn't want something else to go wrong and Kona tell me they couldn't do anything because I was messing with it. If it's bolt on like that, then they'll never know.

maybe even use a couple of hose clamps.....just tighten them real tight and cover them so the ol' leg doesn't get "bitten"

Pro Crastinator
    those are weaksauce ghetto techniques. if you are that worried about it, upgrade to some dangerboy plates (or whoever the hell makes them) or find an extra set of stock rockers and go to town with the mods.....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    those are weaksauce ghetto techniques. if you are that worried about it, upgrade to some dangerboy plates (or whoever the hell makes them) or find an extra set of stock rockers and go to town with the mods.....

warranty.....doesn't want to void.....might want to call kona and ask them what to do

Meh.
    One year warranty, and rocker plates cost a c-note to replace. Go for it, just make sure you don't have clearance issues. Get your buddies at the machine shop to machine you a set. It'll be stiffer and lighter, and you can put all sorts of designs in it.

Replace your bearings with needlebearings. Much stiffer and longer wearing.

Meh.
    Are needlebearings a standard size? or are they bike specific? I've been told, although I haven't verified yet, that replacement rocker arms are not even available yet. The 2006 is a new design, so I'm told none of the older stuff will fit.
    Needlebearings are used in all sorts of applications, one of the most prominant being cars. I believe Nicolai makes a headset that uses needlebearings as well. These types of bearings can handle much larger loads. You're going to have to visit some sort of bearing or specialty shop to track down the bearings, or have Kona send you the specs and order them from somewhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    One year warranty, and rocker plates cost a c-note to replace. Go for it, just make sure you don't have clearance issues. Get your buddies at the machine shop to machine you a set. It'll be stiffer and lighter, and you can put all sorts of designs in it.

Replace your bearings with needlebearings. Much stiffer and longer wearing.
    Are needlebearings a standard size? or are they bike specific? I've been told, although I haven't verified yet, that replacement rocker arms are not even available yet. The 2006 is a new design, so I'm told none of the older stuff will fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Needlebearings are used in all sorts of applications, one of the most prominant being cars. I believe Nicolai makes a headset that uses needlebearings as well. These types of bearings can handle much larger loads. You're going to have to visit some sort of bearing or specialty shop to track down the bearings, or have Kona send you the specs and order them from somewhere.
    Thanks, I'll try to track some down.

Meh.
    Thanks, I'll try to track some down.
    After that happens, send me a set.

bg.
    mtbr member
    You're 250lbs and you're on Dee Max?

I'm 200lbs with armour on, my Dee Max flex noticably. I've had the Dee Max on both a BB7 And a Demo 8. They're flexy.

Switch wheels with a friend and see, I'm sure that's part of your problem.

East Coast Style
    damn that stinky with the bent rockers looks pretty bad =/. Not to bust on ya, but i've heard a lot of negative things about the new stinkys, they feel really bad or w/e (ive heard flex issues too from the people at my shop). id try to upgrade the rockers to the dangerboys like it was stated. also, my friends deemaxes he had quite the problem with. had to get a new one from mavic because it came shipped with a loose spoke and it got a flat spot (partly the mechanics fault for not checkin that, but i'd probly do the same thing if i had a pre-built wheel sent to me, especially one of that quality). try swapping a wheel, set the brake so that theres very little or no rub in the rotor, and then ride around for a day n see what happens. if it keeps rubbin, most likely the swing arm, if not, then the wheel. I don't know if that'll work but just some other food for thought.
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by bg.
    .......I'm 200lbs with armour on, my Dee Max flex noticably. I've had the Dee Max on both a BB7 And a Demo 8. They're flexy......
    you must have a bad build, i'm pretty sure the Dee Max rim is the same as the D321 and it is argueably(sp?) one of the tuffest rims on the planet....

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    you must have a bad build, i'm pretty sure the Dee Max rim is the same as the D321 and it is argueably(sp?) one of the tuffest rims on the planet....
    Actually, you're thinking of the pre-2003 model which were effectivly yellow 36h 321s built on Mavic hubs.

I have the 2003/04 version. They're 28h versions of the 8.1 or 823 rim. Aside from colour change the '05-06 versions are virtually identical, with minor changes to the rims.

They flex, believe it. It is not due to bad spoke tension of anything like that. I own a tensionmeter and until this year I was working in a shop that sold a loads of Dee Max sets each season.

28 spoked wheels don't really exist in DH, and for good reason. Why everyone thinks that Mavic has found a magic formula to make it work is beyond me. Dee Max are nice wheels, but they're light and flexy, not ideal for someone who weights 250lbs.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by bg.
    Actually, you're thinking of the pre-2003 model which were effectivly yellow 36h 321s built on Mavic hubs.....
    then i recant my previous statement. i had no idea the new D's were the crappy 823's.....
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 03-06-2006 at 11:29 AM.

rollin
    One year warranty
    weaksauce warranty

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fw190
    I don't know if it's the same problem, but a guy from Germany had this happen to his '06 Stinky.
    He must have bottomed that bike HARD for that to happen, everything has a failing point. With the amount of stinkys out there we will see in the next 6 months or so if this is a true flaw in the design or just something that happens while you were "just riding along when............."

i should be working
    I bent the rockers on my '04 stinky.

37$ for some new ones. Thats peanuts in this sport.

Usually stuff like this happens because of improper suspension setup like what happened to me. I was running a light spring and constantly bottoming out. The end result was some bent rockers. Any bike with a poorly set up suspension will experience bent/broken parts.

Before you go and blame the bike, you should get the whole story. Maybe the 06 has a bad rocker design. Maybe the guy rode off a 15 ft'er with a 450# spring. You'll notice in the pic that the size is a 16, it probably came stock with a lighter spring.

kona-tize me captain
    why dont u call koan and see if they dont have upgrade rockers?
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Members who have read this thread: 0