Preston Fr Vs Coiler- Mtbr.com
    Roll on Spring Time!

Preston Fr Vs Coiler

evenin fellas
    lookin for some advice from da boys who have had dealins with both da coiler and
    preston fr.
    i have read through the kona forum and read nothing but praises. there is no dedicated transition forum but i have read what i can find and again nothing but praises for the little rider owned company.
    i had settled on the preston but now a killer deal has come along for a 2006 coiler. trouble is i was budgeting on buying my frame in 2-3 months. buying now wouldnt be ideal but seen as i have read such great tings bout the coiler i am also beginning to think it will be the perfect bike too.
    i have been pushing my xc riding into the agrresive category and starting some lite freeride too. i want to work on jumps and drops which helped rule out the 5.5" trail bikes. i have looked at all the options and price is a big consideration. i have posted threads and i was recommended the preston, did my research and its sounds just about perfect, but, i havent read enough to tell me how it performs in the all mountain/trail side o tings. the coiler does seem to do everything well. the coiler also has that little extra travel. i know its sounds like i want the coiler but i do like the preston and it would give me more time to get the cash together.
    there is only one coiler available, it comes with a DHX3 air shock and is 18". i am 6'2" and from what i have read this will be a great frame size. the coiler also comes in at 130 cheaper than the preston.

what to do. some tips would be sound!

clyde in training
    I have a coiler, and it is a great bike. I ride all my xc on it, while still hitting the downhill. It has been a great bike so far, and at 200 pounds, the extra travel helps a little on the sketchy stuff. They are both great do anything bikes, but if you are more of a beginner and want something that can take a little more abuse for a little less cost, I would suggest the coiler. Transitions are sweet, so ultimately, the decision is yours.

Roll on Spring Time!
    i have seen your participation in the kona forum 08wnsula so there is no doubting your liking the coiler. i know the transitions are top build bikes but i am not clear on the prestons overall potential. they build serious bikes with nothing less than a trail setup so you gotts to know where they sit in the riding arena. i dont just want to use the preston for freeride but love trail and long haul rides. i just want to invest in something that will let me keep riding trails/AM but give the scope to push freeride if i do keep heading in that dirrection. but i love the fact that the coiler is so sound on downhill runs. i know i cant go wrong with either but the preston will just give me more time for stealing milk bottles and collecting the coins from the wishing well.

Meh.
    The Coiler is a solid and versatile bike.

That said, I have yet to hear of a dissappointed Preston owner.

If you've got to meet a price point, the Coiler is probably your best bet.

Roll on Spring Time!
    looks like i am putting the cash down for the coiler tomoro. good deal and i called the fox dealer/service center and the DHX3 air is highly rated. the bonus is that if neccessary i can have the shock tuned for my needs which will create a superior shock to the DHX5 air and with the money i save i still have plenty of change.

Meh.
    PUSH will not be tuning ANY of the DHX Airs. Fox does not tune. So I can only think of Mojo or Hippietech. And I'm not sure if they tuen the DHX-As either. Nobody really wants to touch them because of the complexity and lack of mid-stroke support.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I love my '04 coiler, that said, I am saving for the new preston.

I make light things heavy

Preston Recommendation

The Preston is a great bike and it "rides" really well. It is my do it all bike I ride it on all day epics (despite having a really fantastic steel hard tail to use as well) and take it to the ski resorts in Colorado and New Mexico in the summer. It is tough like nails but utterly rideable. If you have not committed to the Coiler yet I would recommend going with your first instinct. Both companies are worth supporting; Kona makes a great bike and does tons for the sport, but the guys at Transition arguably need your money more and they are a great bunch of guys. You will buy into the whole company by going with the Preston which I think is pretty cool. I have been riding my Preston for about 2 years now and I could not be happier. I cannot imagine riding anything but a Transition bike now that I have made the leap of faith to try out the little guy's stuff. It is that good.

You know about this thread right?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78851
    it is a vast source of Preston/Transition information. it was pretty notorious on forum for quite some time before finding a new home in the Custom Builders forum.

You can't really go wrong with your choices here, but you can make a better choice in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If you go go to Transition's website or to DropnZone you can pick a 2006 Preston Fr up for less than $700. I know that Transition's website still has the large listed.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store/Store_Detail.cfm?Token={ts_2007-02-08_22:49:20}-93136875&P=705

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store/Store_Detail.cfm?Token={ts_2007-02-08_22:49:20}-93136875&P=704

http://www.dropnzone.com/Products.cfm?Cat=29 (you need to scrool down)

Hope this helps.

Brackish

... and if we just ...

I was just in exactly the same boat: I had budgeted about $3300 for a sweet build on the '07 Preston when I saw an '06 18" Coiler Deluxe in my LBS for $2299. I took it out on a test ride, loved the feel and size (I'm 6' 2" as well), left and came back the next day for another ride and put money down on the Coiler. Real similar design, the spec is very close to what I would have done myself, and the $1000 I saved I used to buy an '06 Dirtbag to replace my Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho (finally done with IH, sooooo stoked) and a new set of Outlaws. Win win, for me!

Roll on Spring Time!
    dang! why ya gotta make it so tuff. i was so committed to the preston but the kona deal is sweet. i will look into the 2006 preston but i was gonne go for the 2007 for the extra uprades they have done.
    i am based in the uk so mojo will tune my DHX3 air. i have already spoken to them to get an overview of this shock and a comparison to the DHX5 air. they rate the DHX3 big time and recommend the tune up only if i need it and maybe only to consider it when it goes in for its 1 year service.
    i would be happier to stick with preston if i was US based. i am not having much luck with the uk supplier. i have been calling them all week and no one is home. where are they when i need to make this decision? we have already had one distributor for transition go under. may be safer to go with kona?

Brackish
    In the UK you may well be safer with Kona, as I know it's a big market for them. If you still look at Prestons, go for the '07 as it has a lot of notable changes for the better, the longer stroke shock being not the least of them.

Members who have read this thread: 0