Pressure Suit Shootout~Help?!?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pressure Suit Shootout~Help?!?

Thanks ahead of time for reading, sorry for writing a book.

The Story
    Alright, so it's time to get a new pressure suit. I have a 2006 pressure suit from 661 (red and black model). It has saved me from many injuries, which is why I intend to get a new one. But it is time to retire it due to it's ratty state, and the more I progress, the more it seems to get in the way.

I was looking at three options, which I have reviewed on other sites and other threads in this forum, but all 3 suits have good reviews.

Models I am Considering/Reasons:
    Everyone says the rock gardn is great, but gets a little hot.
    I hear the Race Face Rally Dh is skimpy on back protection, and a little thin on the chest
    The 661 is great from everything I hear, but I wouldn't be able to use the elbow pads I want.

The models I am considering are:
    Race Face Rally DH Jacket- It is a little bit "lighter" than the other one's, but it has it cons
    661 Pro Pressure Suit- Seems like a happy medium
    Rock Gardn- Seems least ventilated, but most protection

Information On How I Would Wear:
    If I used the Race Face Rally DH jacket, I would be using the newer 661 race elbow pads.
    Same goes for the Rock Gardn Jacket. I would probably take the pads off and use the 661pads as I am very happy with them.

Links to the Product:
    Price is not a concern, but I would not get dainese due to aluminum back protector that needs replaced, fit problems with other people, and many mixed reviews.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...8-e971d4274cee
    http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-...htm?1=1&menu=1
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=14978

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry again for another body armour thread. I hope to gain some more viable information.

SamIAm
    i had to make a similar decision and i went with the flackjacket for a few reasons.

its adjustable. you can take the back plate and the arms off if you need.

i think its well ventalated. it only gets hot when ur not moving. big mesh.

has more/better protection IMO than anything else out there right now. it has the side rib protection etc.... and none of it prevents any mobility for me.

<(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Alright. Thanks for the input.

What do you guys think of the Race Face Rally DH Jacket? Any of you guys that have it think it lacks protection? I will be riding a lot at diablo freeride park and plattekill a lot (both have some gnarly rock gardens).

Edit: SamL3227, on a picky note, how does it fit under a jersey? Does the back stick out a lot?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have the 06 version of the flak jacket that I've used for about 2 seasons now. It does get hot, again, only if you aren't moving. I take off the elbow and forearm guards. I wear a jersey over it, and a backpack as well. I've never had problems with the back guard sticking out or anything. I'd go a size up on the jersey though. I'd definitely recommend it, good construction and fits well. Never had an issue with it.
    To Triumph without Risk is to Conquer without Glory.

'06 Ironhorse 7.3
    '96 Scott Tampico...Newspaper Delivery Machine

Big Test Icycles
    Another vote for the RG Flackjacket. I have one season on mine and it was great. The kidney belt is also nice it keeps it in place as you move around. I have one crash on it and it did it's job, no shredded skin. On the other hand my Brother rides with the new 661 Pressure suit and loves it. Well vented and not as bulky as the RG.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have the 08 661 pro pressure suit, no problems at all, very durable slim fitting and i dont get that hot in it, have it over a year now and no tears or damage but has saved me a few times, i have to say though that rock garden suit looks very cool

SamIAm
    i gots an XL jersy and it fits fine. just a lil tricky getting the jersey over the top of the backplate sometimes. but its nothing to be worried bout. just size up the jersey and ull be happy as a clam.

i actually do like the forearm pads that it comes with. fav part is that they velcro to the shoulders so they cant slide down. plus with the 661 race shinnies u look like a stormtrooper. but thats just an extra.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the raceface DH jacket and I love it. The back is not light at all. The chest on the other hand is. I just bought my own foam and added it, and it works great. The jacket does not even feel like you have anything on. Before I bought this jacket I bought a Rockgardn flack jacket, and I personally did not like it, so I returned it and got the Raceface. The rockgardn felt so much like I was wearing armor. The raceface feels fluid. So I guess it's what your going for. if it's a race jacket I say get the Raceface as it is lightweight. Thats how I feel anyway. BTW I am a big guy at 200+ lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Offdeez
    I have the raceface DH jacket and I love it. The back is not light at all. The chest on the other hand is. I just bought my own foam and added it, and it works great. The jacket does not even feel like you have anything on. Before I bought this jacket I bought a Rockgardn flack jacket, and I personally did not like it, so I returned it and got the Raceface. The rockgardn felt so much like I was wearing armor. The raceface feels fluid. So I guess it's what your going for. if it's a race jacket I say get the Raceface as it is lightweight. Thats how I feel anyway. BTW I am a big guy at 200+ lbs.
    Yea, I am trying to avoid the "armour" feel.

My 661 feels like armour, and inspires confidence, but the chest protector gets in the way sometimes if I do table tops, and even got caught a little one time when I tried an invert on the DH bike.

I like the rock gardn's chest a lot more than the 661, but the 661 looks like it would fit an individual much better. Also, I like the 661's spine gaurd more than the rock gardn's, but the pading on the sides and shoulders seems like a nice feature. I have gotten stabbed in the shoulder blade by a rock before too... Not nice.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    if you are trying to avoid the "armor" feel, then why not go get the 661 coresaver? its got substantial armor at the back and in the chest but none in the shoulder/arms though
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

Now with More Wood
    I rock the 661 SP2 - it's a slimmed down version of the 2007 pressure suit. It has no real chest plate, other than that, the protection is solid - I've been through quite a few crashes on it, it's done its job so far...
    Don't know if you can still find 'em online...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    I rock the 661 SP2 - it's a slimmed down version of the 2007 pressure suit. It has no real chest plate, other than that, the protection is solid - I've been through quite a few crashes on it, it's done its job so far...
    Don't know if you can still find 'em online...
    You can still find them online, but it is so similiar to what I have and don't like right now:

https://www.dirtbikebitz.com/images/...ssure-suit.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Metanoia
    if you are trying to avoid the "armor" feel, then why not go get the 661 coresaver? its got substantial armor at the back and in the chest but none in the shoulder/arms though
    I want the 661 coresaver. I ride on the east coast though, and always scrub and sometimes really whack my shoulders on trees. I have to cut my deity dirty thirties to ride.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Offdeez
    Agreed, I've had the rf for the last 2 years. Back pro is good, chest seems thin, but I slammed my chest into my bar/stem after I missed a wooden bridge coming off a big rock roller at Keystone (Evenflow trail). It did its job and I was fine. I tried on the rg flak and it was very heavy and restrictive in comparison. I use the rf rally leg and arm armor too, good stuff...

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by iridemtb
    You can still find them online, but it is so similiar to what I have and don't like right now:

https://www.dirtbikebitz.com/images/...ssure-suit.jpg

I want the 661 coresaver. I ride on the east coast though, and always scrub and sometimes really whack my shoulders on trees. I have to cut my deity dirty thirties to ride.
    Well, the SP2 looks a bit similar, but it's a fair bit lighter and less cumbersome....you said your's was "getting in the way" in the OP, that's why I thought it might suit you....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yet another vote for the Flak Jacket. I've got an 08 and completely love it. Very comfortable. Does its job well.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    I've worn a Fox Launch suit for the past year, but wow, that RockGardN Flackjacket looks killer!

My Fox suit has never let me down at Angelfire [infact it saved my back] nor have I ever felt overheated in it. They are about $180 retail and you can get them from any motoX store.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    One more vote for Flak Jacket. The chest armor saved me big-time last year. I use mine for moto as well because the protection is so good.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. If you have any more information or testamonials, put it up.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you be specific about your problems and positives of the armour.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i was using a fox launch suit at platty and diablo last year. It has a lot of back protection, but it lacks any serious chest or arm protection. I think its for someone w/ more skill than me. I will probably get the rock gardn in addition to it. It does however fit really well.

That being said, this specialized leg armor i have probably has the best protection out of any i have seen. Its 3 piece, and covers even above the knee.

mtbr member
    I am kinda sold on the new 661 race knee/shin. Got to try them, and they are amazing.

Just not sold on a pressure suit yet.

mtbr member
    What kind of riding do you do? If you race, get a jacket. If you're more of a freerider go w/ the core saver and get good elbow pads and use the combo to your advantage depending on what you're riding. Much more flexible IMO.

I'd say the Rockgardn offers the most protection. But at the price of mobility and heat IMO.

661 ProPressure is one of the "slimmest". I used mine for years with great results. Wash it often (I put it in the washing machine sans spine protection) to prevent the stank and actually preserve its life.

I personally prefer Troy Lee's race jacket. It is probably the most minimal jacket. But I don't crash too much (knock on wood) and am a racer boi.

Also, I prefer the center, vertical zip of Troy Lees and Dianese jackets compared to 661's radial zipper. They always seemed to creep up and rub my throat the wrong way.

SPAM: I have a large Rock Gardn Flak Jacket, brand new. Make me an offer!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thats the specialized rocca leg armour, yes its very cool i was going to get it myself, thing is though if you bend your knee theres quite a gap in the knee sections of the hinge, it depends on the terrain of course but here its dry and rocky and the gaps in the hinges turn me off a bit.

leg armour is a very personal thing, its definately try before you buy, i have the spesh kani armour which is really light and comfy but there is limited protection for the knee, tried some 661 race light knee/shin today and they felt great, of course i wont know until i take them out in the field but they seem comfy dont move and give good protection, 25 dollars too which is pretty good

mtbr member
    If you mean race lite knee/shins:
    http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike...3-0d4db83f6318

Don't get them. I used them for a year now, and they are just OKAY if you used with these:
    http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike...4-3aed8264caf1

If you don't get the padlocks, they will slide everywhere. Even with them, they tend to creep down my leg, and my legs aren't tooth picks.

These are the ones I got to try. Awesome... they don't really slide around either, they are just a little more hot.
    http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike...2-24d753a38a62

Back on topic... Yea, I wouldn't fit a large rockgardn pressure suit. I was looking at this too however:

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/ca...oducts_id=2016

I think what I am going to do though is order a race face rally dh jacket, and if I don't like the way it fits and it doesn't seem like enough, I will just order a rock gardn instead and send the race face rally jacket back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    mine dont seem to be moving on my leg but ill only really know when i test them at the weekend

Members who have read this thread: 0