mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New question here. prepping trail bike for occasional DH days?

I have a YT Jeffsy on order (excited!) and while it will mostly be used for trail riding, my SO and I are moving to central VT and will be very close to Killington.

Obviously, Im excited to be in such close proximity to one of the better DH spots in the northeast. I do plan on using the Jeffsy occasionally at Killington and was wondering what if anything I should be doing to prep/ready the bike for DH days? Suspension setup? Tire pressures? Anything else? Mainly asking in the context of prolonging parts/bike life (also realizing that DH riding can be tough on bikes). Just trying to keep my recent purchase fresh for as long as possible...

Any and all insight welcome. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    get your seat as low as it will go (at least to start) and get some flat pedals if you don't already swing that way.
    The other thing I do differently for DH is bigger, softer grips and thicker gloves. I know many disagree, but the high frequency vibration just beats the crap out of my hands/wrists/forearms.

as far as prolonging parts life, your own skill/comfort level is going to be the big thing that helps or hurts that. You're probably going to go through brake pads and tires faster than you would just trail riding.

Also, if you're close to Killington, you're probably reasonably close to Thunder Mountain, For my money a much better park. Food for thought.

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine would throw on a coil shock + DH tires for the summer months when bike parks are open then switch back to air shock +lighter tires for trail riding after they close, seemed like a good idea. This was a transition patrol.

mtbr member

prepping trail bike for occasional DH days?

I'd have another set of wheels and tires for the park days and I'd run sintered brake pads (I run them all the time). The coil shock is also a good call and all the suggestions here are valid. I'd also run a chain guide/ bash but I don't think the Jeffsy has iscg05 tabs.
    For you I'd also get some pads and a full face helmet if you don't already have them.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    I'd have another set of wheels and tires for the park days and I'd run sintered brake pads (I run them all the time). The coil shock is also a good call and all the suggestions here are valid. I'd also run a chain guide/ bash but I don't think the Jeffsy has iscg05 tabs.
    For you I'd also get some pads and a full face helmet if you don't already have them.
    Thanks. What are sintered brake pads?

I've thought about the guide/bash setup as well. If the Jeffsy doesn't have the iscg05 tabs am I SOL? Do I have any other options?

Also, is it relatively easy to swap the jeffsy's rear air shock w/ a coil?

Appreciate the other suggestions too. I'm almost thinking that if I do end up looking into all these items, its going to get my close to the same price as a used DH rig...may as well go with that.... haha!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear99 View Post
    Appreciate the other suggestions too. I'm almost thinking that if I do end up looking into all these items, its going to get my close to the same price as a used DH rig...may as well go with that.... haha!
    yeah... Unless you find one used, a spare shock is going to be some money. Spare wheels probably a couple hundred as well. That's getting to be a decent chunk of the price of a used DH bike, plus you get away from futzing with it (having to change tires every weekend would get really old, really fast).
    You can also rent. If you're only going a couple times a year (and the park has a good rental fleet) it makes a lot of sense.

When the Jeffsy came out, I was scratching my head about the lack of iscg tabs - I see no reason why they didn't include them. I will never buy another frame without.
    I believe you can use an upper guide that mounts in place of the front derailleur, and you could use a bionicon lower (link), but for the bash guard, you're kind of SOL. I don't remember ever really needing it at Killington.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    yeah... Unless you find one used, a spare shock is going to be some money. Spare wheels probably a couple hundred as well. That's getting to be a decent chunk of the price of a used DH bike, plus you get away from futzing with it (having to change tires every weekend would get really old, really fast).
    You can also rent. If you're only going a couple times a year (and the park has a good rental fleet) it makes a lot of sense.

When the Jeffsy came out, I was scratching my head about the lack of iscg tabs - I see no reason why they didn't include them. I will never buy another frame without.
    I believe you can use an upper guide that mounts in place of the front derailleur, and you could use a bionicon lower (link), but for the bash guard, you're kind of SOL. I don't remember ever really needing it at Killington.
    Thanks. Good call on the upper guide.

Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't something like the guard below work w/ the Jeffsy? Unless you were referring to the dual guide/bash setups (I think e*thirteen has some nice ones that I was considering before I knew about the lack of iscg tabs).

https://www.backcountry.com/race-fac...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

mtbr member
    If a crank-mounted bash fits your crank, yes that would work great - it looks like some of the lower-spec Jeffsys come with cranks that would work.
    Unfortunately that doesn't work with direct mount chainrings/cranks (like the Sram and Raceface cranks that come on Jeffsy pro and one models).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear99 View Post
    Thanks. What are sintered brake pads?
    Also, is it relatively easy to swap the jeffsy's rear air shock w/ a coil?
    Sintered metal pads vs organic pads. Sintered pads fade less when hot and hold up better. If you have another set of wheels and tires for the park you can run a heavier set for the durability and traction with their own rotors. Then it's an easy swap with the wheels.
    I'd hold off on the shock and ride the air shock to see how it goes. If you're riding aggressively doing hot laps you might overwhelm the air shock depending on which air shock it is. A piggyback shock has more oil and can handle the heat better to maintain the damping.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

Glad to Be Alive
    save money and time...buy a good used dh bike between 800 to 1500
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I dont think there is much that you can do.. If i ride my 29 trail bike (smuggler) at the bike park or DH track i alter my riding style. Choose cleaner lines, snow it down on the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    +1 for buying a used DH bike. You realize you will get the DH bug and you'll be in the center of many great DH parks. Soon you'll be wishing you bought a Tues rather than a Jeffsy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A coil is nice for a lot of reasons, but I wouldn't look in that direction until you know what specifically you want out of it. For a couple of park days a year, it won't be worth the trouble (or cost).

Frankly, modern trail/AM bikes these days are so capable (Jeffsy included) that the only change I'd bother with is tires. High volume, reinforced casing, stout cornering knobs, tread appropriate for conditions. I wouldn't want to ride any tires under 900g on a trail bike in a bike park. Full-on wire bead dual ply DH tires wouldn't be a bad idea, though not necessary.

A trail bike won't let you go as fast, with as much confidence, with as much margin of error, with as little fatigue as a real DH bike, and no little tweaks will change that. That said, you'll still be able to rip. You'll see lots of folks riding (and sometimes racing) those same trails on similar bikes. Have fun and don't be intimidated.

Also, I second going to Thunder Mountain over Killington. KT sure has the vertical, but they don't use it well. For my time, I'd much rather have the higher-quality runs at Thunder (with a less expensive lift ticket to boot).