Powder coating question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Powder coating question

I just took my IH sunday apart and getting it powder coated next week.
    Is getting it sandblasted a bad idea? Does it make the frame weak?
    What options do I have?

Thanks for any info

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I wouldn't recommend sand blasting especially aluminum. The sand will eat away the aluminum like a cheese grater. Most people recommend aircraft paint stripper.

mtbr member
    Glass bead media or walnut shell media is just fine. A light blast of fine sand media for texture fr the PC to a here to is OK as well. As far as strippong try and get as much as possible with aircraft stripper from home depot (as mentioned above).
    It can be strippd by media if walnut or glass bead is used its less evasive to the frame.
    Remember to get some sand paper to thin the PC where pivots intersect and contact after powder coat.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Chemicals(aircraft stripper) are the way to go. Make sure to do it outdoors or in a garage with the door open.

injured reserve list
    Do a search on how to prep your frame. There are do's and don'ts, especially with the threaded areas and pressed bearing areas
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    Glass bead media or walnut shell media is just fine. A light blast of fine sand media for texture fr the PC to a here to is OK as well. As far as strippong try and get as much as possible with aircraft stripper from home depot (as mentioned above).
    It can be strippd by media if walnut or glass bead is used its less evasive to the frame.
    Remember to get some sand paper to thin the PC where pivots intersect and contact after powder coat.
    To avoid doing the work myself do shops offer this work before pc?

mtbr member
    Yes just tell them to be careful and make sure they use a fine media and mask off tight areas or plug holes with threads. Any reputable PC shop can do it just fine.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    Yes just tell them to be careful and make sure they use a fine media and mask off tight areas or plug holes with threads. Any reputable PC shop can do it just fine.
    You live in socal! You know any good shops in the E.I. - LA - OC area?

mtbr member
    Olympic in Escondido does great work my last few frames rims parts etc have been done there. He's a quiet Santa clause looking dude who rides Harley vettes and old time hot rods so he is pretty demanding on his guys quality and ethic.

I'll have 2 Sundays there in the next couple weeks.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Should be no problem having it blasted, like bullcrew said make sure to use fine media or walnut. Any decent pc shop will know what to do if you tell them its aluminum. Just be sure to tell them its aluminum and show them what threads and bearing holes etc need to be plugged when it gets pc'd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for all the replies and help! I'll post pictures early/mid Jan when the bike is complete =)

Cheers everyone!

Eroding into the trail
    Soda blasting (baking soda) is an option.

Glad to Be Alive
    Olympic is great".......don't blast it at all.....have it chemical stripped.....I have the powder lathers do it....if you have the frame polished to mirror finish then put colors over it...then that color comes out awesome
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had my demo powder coated, I used aircraft stripped to strip the original finish then brought it to the coater. They had to blast the frame still so the powder would adhere properly. When I got it back there were a couple spots where you could see the bare aluminum that was blasted. The surface was just a super soft mate looking aluminum. I doubt even .001 of aluminum was removed during blasting. Ask your powder coater, express your concerns. They will tell you exactly whats up. I talked to mine about my concern the oven would affect the temper of the aluminum he explained that at the temp they use to bake on the finish it would take like eight hours at that temp to affect the frames integrity. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If the frame is powder coat from the manufacture you must chemically strip it first, blasting powder coat will probably ruin the frame . If it's paint from the manufacture first test blast it to make sure you don't have to "work" at it to get the old off, if it comes off quick you can blast to bare metal if not you must chemically strip. Fine abrasive must be used 150 grit alum.oxide or something equivalent . Do not use glass bead, it does not promote good adhesion and don't blast the be threads or any bearing/head tube races. Good luck.