post your ladders/wood stunts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

post your ladders/wood stunts

We're building a trail tommorow and I need some ideas with what to do with all my extra wood. Post your drops/skinnies/wood jumps that kind of stuff.

crumb

ETBW
    Magura

Bum Buzzer
    Everything in that pic is nailed to a live tree.

Wow - nice, but no wonder we cant get trail access.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai

yeah try and make stuff as freestanding as possible, it's more work, but it's worth it...

Glad to Be Alive
    here you go
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2006 at 10:23 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    here you go
    Here's a ladder drop I built in my back yard. 10 foot roll up, 12 feet of flat, about a 4 1/2 foot drop. I've added a tranny since the pics.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

crumb

last time i checked, being denied trail access in my back yard wasnt a problem
    good call
    ETBW
    Magura

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo13
    Here's a ladder drop I built in my back yard. 10 foot roll up, 12 feet of flat, about a 4 1/2 foot drop. I've added a tranny since the pics.
    How deep are those supports buried in the ground? Is it wobbly?

kona-tize me captain

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    How deep are those supports buried in the ground? Is it wobbly?

i think he said they were 2 feet into the ground. i aksed the same thing, since i always have problems wiht my ladders being wobbly.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

a nail in a tree doesn't really harm the tree very much at all, have you ever seen an old barb wire fence with a tree literally growing around it, it only harms the blade at the sawmill once the tree is cut down to be turned into lumber..
    do you think it would be better to dig holes(destroying the root system, which is way more fragile than the trunk) and pour some concrete(which will be littering the forest long after these guys are gone) around a few posts to form a secure stunt....
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

Who pickin the banjo?
    Quote Originally Posted by atvsmurf
    a nail in a tree doesn't really harm the tree very much at all
    Unless of course it's a pretty big copper nail or a zinc plated copper nail.
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    There's a local guy here in the Mad River Valley that builds treehouses professionally and he has come up with a special bracket that can be expanded as the tree grows. No damage to the tree and you can use it for support. I think his company is called Treeforms. I've been meaning to talk to him about it, but haven't connected yet.

Just a thought.

John

kona-tize me captain
    heres 2 of several wooden stunts i have in my backyard.

the first one is about 6 feet off the ground with a movable wooden landing ramp.

the second one is about 50 feet long with a 6 foot drop. it also is going over a huge pile of sticks and stuff if anyone wants to know.

and i built all this myself lol, gotta stay busy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    last time i checked, being denied trail access in my back yard wasnt a problem
    good call
    It has nothing to do with ownership - it is still a plenty bad idea. I'm not attacking you, but making a very good point.

Learn to build properly, no shortcuts, no easy ways out.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo13
    did you dig the ground out to make your tranny...therefore larger drop

post the pics
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by atvsmurf
    a nail in a tree doesn't really harm the tree very much at all, have you ever seen an old barb wire fence with a tree literally growing around it, it only harms the blade at the sawmill once the tree is cut down to be turned into lumber..
    do you think it would be better to dig holes(destroying the root system, which is way more fragile than the trunk) and pour some concrete(which will be littering the forest long after these guys are gone) around a few posts to form a secure stunt....
    A nail in a tree cause plenty of harm - introducing contaminants and disease as well as scarring and loading the tree (it is not just the nail, but supporting weight) which leads to split trunks and overall decay.

Without being a nature freak theres plenty of reason not to do it, and the only reason to do it is to make life easy on the builder.

As for digging and concrete - no thats not necessary (or proper) either. Head up to the shore and find me the live trees with nails and qwikcrete - you wont (in general, there are 'cheaters' everywhere.)

I have no intention of pursuing this conversation any further - the precedent is set, the writing is on the wall -- if you want to ignore reason and rationalize or choose the "whatever" path, thats up to you,but unfortunately effects us all.

Glad to Be Alive
    A nail in a tree cause plenty of harm - introducing contaminants and disease as well as scarring and loading the tree (it is not just the nail, but supporting weight) which leads to split trunks and overall decay.

Without being a nature freak theres plenty of reason not to do it, and the only reason to do it is to make life easy on the builder.

As for digging and concrete - no thats not necessary (or proper) either. Head up to the shore and find me the live trees with nails and qwikcrete - you wont (in general, there are 'cheaters' everywhere.)

I have no intention of pursuing this conversation any further - the precedent is set, the writing is on the wall -- if you want to ignore reason and rationalize or choose the "whatever" path, thats up to you,but unfortunately effects us all.
    agree.....check this self supporting and easy to make and firm and steady...no wobbles
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2006 at 10:23 AM.

crumb

4 trees on my property with a couple of nails in them is not going to affect you or anyone else here. If i was building a trail outside of my own property it would all be freestanding but a couple of nails in 2ft diameter tress will do nothing to them. As long as it is on my property and does not give a bad rap to the mtb world it makes no difference to us, the trees, or non-mtbers.
    ETBW
    Magura

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    4 trees on my property with a couple of nails in them is not going to affect you or anyone else here. If i was building a trail outside of my own property it would all be freestanding but a couple of nails in 2ft diameter tress will do nothing to them. As long as it is on my property and does not give a bad rap to the mtb world it makes no difference to us, the trees, or non-mtbers.

nicely put bro. if it is on ur property then its urs to do whatever u feel like. if it is on someone else's then thats different. but for anyone that is saying ohh no dont put a nail in a tree it will kill them. if u think about it building free standing structures will need more wood which means a tree would be cut down to give u that more wood. so its either a nail or a hole dam tree u decide!