Is it possible to run Saint cranks on a VP Free?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Is it possible to run Saint cranks on a VP Free?

I'm running a single chainring with a Evil bash guard.

Thanks.

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree
    I'm running a single chainring with a Evil bash guard.

Thanks.
    Why would you think it would not work? I've had my Saints on 3 differrent bikes. Not sure if the bashguard will work w/ it unless its the same bolt pattern. I've yet to actually see Saints on a VP Free but dont see how they would NOT work. Theres spacers to be used for differrent BB shell widths. By the way the VP Free looks like a sweet bike. Let us know how it goes trying to install them. The Shimano instructions suck so try to download the BB Instructions from the Race Face X-type bb from Raceface. Its just easier to understand.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Saint Cranks

Yes they will work, but they have had problems with fit in the past. The vpfree has 150 mm spacing in the back and to get the chainline just right you can't use the standard saint crank, but for a year or so now they have had a crank made for 150mm bikes, its like the saint m805 series or something

mtbr member
    Pretty detailed build report here:
    http://www.speedgoat.com/feature-vpfree.asp
    They use Diabolous cranks but the concerns are the same.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Pretty detailed build report here:
    http://www.speedgoat.com/feature-vpfree.asp
    They use Diabolous cranks but the concerns are the same.
    The first major build problem we encountered with the VP-Free is one a lot of other people are going to be running into: the frame's bottom-bracket shell can not be faced, and all the new external bearing style bottom-brackets (all RaceFace X-type, all Shimano® integrated two-piece cranksets) just plain won't work. No Saint, no Diabolus, no Hone, no Atlas, no XT-unless, of course, you color outside the lines a bit. Here's the whole scoop.

Call us old-fashioned, but we prep every frame, and that means "facing" (removing all paint and machining the surface of) not only head tubes and disc brake tabs, but bottom-bracket shells as well. Why? Because if you don't properly face the shell, imperfections in the metal and uneven paint will put your bottom-bracket bearings on a bind, and that'll wear them out much faster than a bottom-bracket in a properly prepared frame. So a-facin' we were ready to go. Unfortunately, facing a VP-Free bottom-bracket shell isn't possible right now, because there's a little protrusion on the non-drive side lower suspension pivot that gets in the way. Standard facing tools can't face the Free's bottom-bracket shell without chunking into this raised portion of the pivot. So that's bad. (We'd run into the same thing on the Blur frame and found an easy way around it.) At least we could face the drive-side, though. Important as the non-drive-side of the shell is, the drive-side is way more important for most bottom-brackets because that's the side where the bottom-bracket really, really anchors onto the shell of the frame. And we faced that side just fine-bye-bye gloopy uneven paint and hello smooth shining bare metal. Things were going great.

Then we tried to install a new RaceFace Diabolus two-piece crank/bottom-bracket assembly.
    All these new super-stiff, super-simple, crazy-strong two-piece cranks use massive bearings that sit outside the frame's shell. The sit outside the shell because they're bigger in diameter than the shell itself-they literally wouldn't fit in the frame. Problem here is, again, that little protrusion. Isn't that an ugly word, "protrusion"? Well, it really fits here, 'cause by now we were getting pretty sick of that thing. We were going to use a Diabolus crankset, damn it, and it was going to work perfectly. To the rescue came an array of spacers we keep around here for just such an occasion. The Diabolus-like any new two-piece system-includes "shell spacers," little spacers necessary to compensate for different frames and derailleur configurations. By dividing the width of one of these spacers into two thinner spacers, the Diabolus can be installed. Our custom spacer configuration maintained a precise chainline while repositioning the crankset just slightly toward the non-drive side of the bike. Just enough for the big bearing cup to clear that evil little protrusion. This is a permanent solution and should let us dial in any of the two-pieces on a Free frame.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0