Poll: DH Tubes or Regular Tubes or tubeless?- Mtbr.com

Poll: So, what is it?

AW_
    locked - time out

Poll: DH Tubes or Regular Tubes or tubeless?

What do you run - DH tubes or standard tubes or tubeless?

Meh.
    DH or heavy duty tubes with a nice burly sidewall.

Glad to Be Alive
    2 years.....no problems......Mavic 823's + stans = tubeless
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 05-04-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ride hard take risks
    DH or HD depending on rocks. :biggrin5:

kona-tize me captain
    i wana go tubless but its to exsepsnive. and i dotn want to go ghetto tubless
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i run thick casing tires with DH tubes, but want to go tubless but as said above to expensice right now and plus my wheels are not UTS

Racer
    ghetto tubeless/stans is the ****. I recommend using a tubeless dh tire though like michelins. Don't attempt regular tires its a hassle.

mtbr member
    Tubeless sucks. I run a normal tube with talc (baby powder) and a 2 ply tire.

Living to ride
    I'm running thick casings with standard tubes on all but my new bike which came with wimpy sidewalls and I haven't switched out yet. I would like to do something else however, where I ride there are a lot of thorns and I'm getting at least 2 flats a week.
    Bob

- '06 Cannondale F400
    - '89 Cannondale SM1000
    - '90 Diamond Back Ascent

Unshaven Yak
    823's and Michi Tubeless DH24's & 16's have done the trick for me for a couple of years now. No problems whatsoever. I did have a Minion non-tubeless rear with a thick sidewall for awhile and it also worked flawlessly with a dose of stans.

I used to pinchflat the rear regularly even with DH tubes unless I ran the pressure so high the performance of the tire fell off. I really think the tubeless thing is great for those of us over 200 lbs.
    If you can, get one. You can bild it up to be a kinda lite trail slaying,dirt surfin, 40 mile ride single track super mama. this bike is the cutting edge of the sport. "spred the groove".

mtbr member

trying tubeless for the 1st time

Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    What do you run - DH tubes or standard tubes or tubeless?
    new Deemax in transit.
    Will probably try the Michelin UST.

If I have issues, I'll lose all faith in tubeless and go back to heavy DH tubes.

Talc is really only useful in that it makes changing tubes much more pleasant.

Disco-Superfly
    I use semi thick sidewalls and regular tubes, only flats I get are from bicycling over nails and other related sharp objects vulnerable to puncture through and inside a tire's rubber shell and passing by into the tubular region.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    Talc is really only useful in that it makes changing tubes much more pleasant.
    Talc or baby powder also keep the tube from pulling if the tire was to spin & helps prevent pinch flats allowing the tube to shift seperate from the tire on impacts.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest

ghetto tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    i wana go tubless but its to exsepsnive. and i dotn want to go ghetto tubless

I rode "ghetto" tubeless (Stans with a 24" tube to seel the rim) and it worked sweet for a year. I totally loved them. I was so tired of pinch flats, and had no problem with the stans, when taken care of (aka matained the right pressure). Then I let my bike sit for about 4 months with no care and the went flat, just need some TLC but I did have any Stans with me at school nor an air compressure, so I'm back to beffy tubes with my 2x sidewalls. But as soon as I get home to my air compressure the stans will go back on.

N* Bomber Crew
    My DH Tubes seem to work fine...I learned at Northstar that DH Tubes are crucial.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ive been running DH tires(double ply) with regular tubes and slime in them.. I like to cruise around campus sometimes and we have these nasty little prickers that will go right into your tire, only cure is slime, but ive found it to work really well for the trails too, Ive been running rediculously low tire pressures with absolutely no problem for a few months(few rides a week) now(and i expect this settup to be fine for a long time) Ive actually been thinking about going to some single ply tires and no slime in the tubes, as it would save me probably 3 pounds, and I use this as a trail bike too.. but im not too excited about flats again.. and the horrible selection of tires in single ply.

Members who have read this thread: 0