Point me toward the right bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Point me toward the right bike

I am looking for a FS frame that has FR/DH geometry of slack head and seat tubes but built more for trails. I do not want to feel perched over the front wheel and prefer a more upright riding position. I rode a large Specialized Enduro which felt better than the Stumpjumper but still felt like I needed to be scooted back and down. Part of the problem is that I am 6í1Ē with a 35Ē inseam. When the seat is high enough for good leg extension on milder trails, I am just too high and pushed down and forward.

What type frames should I be looking at? What aspect of the frames geometry make it ride more upright? Taller head tube? I noticed that the enduro had a fairly long stem. Could I use a frame like this but with a short stem and a set back seat post? I don't race and don't need speed. Decent climbing ability for fairly steep would be great, though.

I donít need the monster travel, build and weight that goes with the FR/DH bikes. Daily I ride gravel road and fairly flat trails with small/medium jump and drops. Therefore, I would like to stick with a suspension that will soak up roots, limbs, small rocks etc. Once a month or so it will go to the mountains for trail riding and playing on a little larger drops. I would like to be able to feel confident on the down hill after the climb, again nothing extreme, but that would make me want to try larger stuff. From what I can tell though, I am going to need at least a 150mm front shock to get the front of the bike up.

The only shops within 300 miles are Trek and Spec so testing is a problem. The Yeti AS-X really appeals to me but way over built for my needs. Trying to stick to around $2000, especially since I donít think I need a monster bike. Or, do I to get the geometry?

I have been looking and reading for months and I need to make a decision. Hopefully a good one. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Take a look at the Wrenchscience website, you can build your dream bike and check on the weight and price as you go. The most affordable Yeti would be around $2800, it is a bit more than your target price but this is a custom built bike that is shipped to your door ready to ride. Here is a link to the Yeti build. We also carry the ASX but it requires a 1.5" fork so that costs a bit more. Happy Trails.
    http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/WSL...&job=27&act=12.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Last edited by cam2Xrunner; 09-15-2006 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A Transition Preston FR would be something to consider, or Kona Coiler. 5" sounds like more than enough travel for you. I know there are other options than what I listed, that's just what came to mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not to highjack the thread, but, does anyone know the HA of an '07 Stumpjumper?

Glad to Be Alive
    35 inseam........mostly flatter trails (ie more pedaling)......look into a VP Free or Intense Uzzi
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Road/XC/Freeride
    Sounds like you want 4/5 inches on that thing (IMO VP Free is over kill)

Almost every manufacturer will have something that fits that category so take your pick!

Maybe something like a Santa Cruz Nomad (there's a lot of guys who rave about them) or if you want a little more travel an Intense 6.6 (or even Uzzi as SMT suggested) or even an Orange Patriot (see sig ).
    I'm on the Twitter.

OG
    You could also try a Santa Cruz Blur 4x. That with a Pike or a 36 sounds like it would suit you. Good luck!

-Nate

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have to agree Blur 4x would be a good choice as well as the Transition Preston.

Members who have read this thread: 0