Please, No More Measurements.....- Mtbr.com
    Pro Crastinator

Please, No More Measurements.....

please stop giving height information when posting up drops. just post the pic and let us all decide for ourselves the drop height. drop heights are measured from the top of the take-off, vertically to the top-most part of the landing, not how far you can fly down the tranny....

if they were measured to where you land, you end up with a scenario similar to someone going way too fast for a 10' double and calling it a 20' double. the double is still a 10 footer no matter where you land. the drop is the same way.......

dirt rules
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Are you serious?

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    let me call the wahhhbulance

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Are you serious?

absolutely...........it is fun when people call a 3 1/2 foot at best 10 feet because of where they land
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Sedona, Az USA
    Bah. I agree 100%.

If some fool wants to call 15' drop cause he hit a 5 foot vertical retaining wall at 20mph and landed 10 feet down the tranny - that's his pipe dream. Chances are, that grom would not hit a 15' vertical retaining wall. Come on, theyre both 15 feet right ??? Not.

joel

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    please stop giving height information when posting up drops. just post the pic and let us all decide for ourselves the drop height. drop heights are measured from the top of the take-off, vertically to the top-most part of the landing, not how far you can fly down the tranny....

if they were measured to where you land, you end up with a scenario similar to someone going way too fast for a 10' double and calling it a 20' double. the double is still a 10 footer no matter where you land. the drop is the same way.......

Pro Crastinator
    i just think it's lame how drop threads turn into arguments about "real" measurements........

fungus amongus
    nah people just think they got it figured out when they see a picture but they don't. im not gonna tell how big somebodys drop is
    don't do anything else but ride bicycles..I'm a very complex individual

Absurd
    i just think it's lame how drop threads turn into arguments about "real" measurements........
    Agreed. I think we need to pull out some of the old "Pinkbike Calculator" threads for some of the 63.5487 foot dropping/jumping groms that are new to the board.

Glad to Be Alive
    true dat
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

izumusx988
    This wouldn't be such a big deal if people didn't try to measure a drop with their eyes though a pic, everyone knows pics make everything look alot different, if you dont agree with a drops height and you think it is off by a foot keep it to your self, no one cares, if you think their drop is a foot smaller than it actualy is....
    -Rob

Northeast Sovereign racing - Morewood bikes-maxxis-hayes-e13

HJB
    USA USA USA USA USA
    Oh yeah, well I've got something 12" long right here in my hand so don't tell me I can't estimate distances and measurements accurately.

Oh come on it's a ruler, where are your minds people

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Personally, I don't really care how you guys size up drops, not having posted pics of any drops in a while, and I do get sick of reading through arguements about drop size.

In the interest of playing Devil's advocate, what does this mean, WCH, for the drop here in CO that, by your standards would be considered 8' - but which by most other standards would be considered 12-14' (given that the tranny is 60 - 80 degrees or so for a good 8' or so past where the "landing" would be if one were to approach the lip @ 1/2 mph and fall straight down?)

Just curious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now with more vitriol!

izumusx988
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    are you guys gonna hit that today or what??? looked ready to go to me...
    well it is at bighit816's house it is 20min away,and im still not sure if it will be done this season sadly, atleast not by me, I don't want to get hurt for ski season. But im sure if bighit decides to do it soon i will be right behind him.
    -Rob

Quote Originally Posted by vpjackal989
    well it is at bighit816's house it is 20min away,and im still not sure if it will be done this season sadly, atleast not by me, I don't want to get hurt for ski season. But im sure if bighit decides to do it soon i will be right behind him.

big bad confidence

sure dont include the other 4 bikers

me
    niko
    derek
    rob
    erik
    you selfish little sons a batch

haha jk
    Last edited by themarsvolta55; 11-28-2005 at 03:40 PM.

izumusx988
    Quote Originally Posted by themarsvolta55
    big bad confidence

sure dont include the other 4 bikers

me
    niko
    derek
    rob

you selfish little sons a batch

haha jk
    you forgot erik you idiot
    -Rob

Quote Originally Posted by vpjackal989
    you forgot erik you idiot

what are you talking about allen, it says erik

you marshs garshes head

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    ....In the interest of playing Devil's advocate, what does this mean, WCH, for the drop here in CO that, by your standards would be considered 8' - but which by most other standards would be considered 12-14' (given that the tranny is 60 - 80 degrees or so for a good 8' or so past where the "landing" would be if one were to approach the lip @ 1/2 mph and fall straight down?)

Just curious.
    then you are saying that the final gap on the redbull course this year is a 80' drop if you land far enough down?

not.

mtbr member
    I agree with WCH to some extent. I mean, we don't need a number to tell us how difficult the drop would be to hit. However, I can see how some people wouldn't be too happy callling the drop they hit a 2 footer when then actually dropped like 15 feet

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    then you are saying that the final gap on the redbull course this year is a 80' drop if you land far enough down?

not.
    Nah - I was thinking strictly in vertical feet. The gap may have been 80, but the drop, in vertical feet - probably wasn't more than 35' tops.

It doesn't matter when it comes down to it. I usually use the fun factor when deciding whether or not I want to hit something, if it's not fun - who cares how big it is?
    Now with more vitriol!

pwn3rator
    i know some people who can benefit from this information ...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

fungus amongus
    are you guys gonna hit that today or what??? looked ready to go to me...
    it snows here so we have to deal with an off season at one point
    Last edited by hilikus; 11-28-2005 at 04:20 PM.
    don't do anything else but ride bicycles..I'm a very complex individual

If you foo's are so concerned about accurate representation of the gnarly-ness of a drop through height statistics, how about adopting a convention in which when people feel the need to tell other people about the height of their drop they use two numbers: #1=minimum height to an acceptable transition / #2=actual height the rear tire of the bicycle falls. So, for example, a drop could be 8/12' , 3'/15' or 8'/8'. Standardize information presentation, or continue arguing until you're all blue in the face.

P.S. Trying to tell someone their 12' drop is "only really like 10'" based on pictorial representations on t3h interweb is lamez0rz.
    Last edited by BikeMk; 11-28-2005 at 05:53 PM.

Disco-Superfly
    what if you say its a 4 foot drop and I went 15 feet....

Then you are cool
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    If you foo's are so concerned about accurate representation of the gnarly-ness of a drop through height statistics, how about adopting a convention in which when people feel the need to tell other people about the height of their drop they use two numbers: #1=minimum height to an acceptable transition / #2=actual height the rear tire of the bicycle falls. So, for example, a drop could be 8/12' , 3'/15' or 8'/8'. Standardize information presentation, or continue arguing unitl you're all blue in the face.

P.S. Trying to tell someone their 12' drop is "only really like 10'" based on pictorial representations on t3h interweb is lamez0rz.
    I like it

surf-ride-repeat
    I live in teh park with my family in a van down the river ....

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Personally, I don't really care how you guys size up drops, not having posted pics of any drops in a while, and I do get sick of reading through arguements about drop size.

In the interest of playing Devil's advocate, what does this mean, WCH, for the drop here in CO that, by your standards would be considered 8' - but which by most other standards would be considered 12-14' (given that the tranny is 60 - 80 degrees or so for a good 8' or so past where the "landing" would be if one were to approach the lip @ 1/2 mph and fall straight down?)

Just curious.
    izzat Wes? Can't really tell but it looks like an ASX.

I hit a 30 over the weekend. Might of been 36 where I landed it.

of course I'm talking inches...
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

abolisher of A$$holes
    Quote Originally Posted by pdirt
    I live in teh park with my family in a van down the river ....

does that mean your van is going down the river...or your van is an underwater van...or it's just down the river from something...

rivervans= coolzorz

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    izzat Wes? Can't really tell but it looks like an ASX.

I hit a 30 over the weekend. Might of been 36 where I landed it.

of course I'm talking inches...
    Yeah - that's Wes, this was taken back when he used to ride.

36" isn't bad - I'm only 23" (of course, Rachel has to bring me down by swearing it's only 22" - but whatever)

This new standard stuff is pretty wild - check out this 18" drop I hit - I fell like 8' off of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i think some people have a valid point when they say "i dropped X amount of feet". What i mean is when you hit a jump or lip or whatever you are dropping you usually fly out some before you actually start "dropping" and if the landing is steep the actual distance you are dropping could be more then the distance from the end of the ramp to straight down.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    ....valid point.....
    now you're just trying to confuse everybody......

again, i could care less how big the hit is, i'm pretty educated and can easily guestimate the true distance from a picture. all i was saying is that when you post a dimension, the flaming starts and turns the thread lame in no time.......

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    but this thread was already lame...and there weren't any measurements to begin with...
    oh yeah? you have hairy armpits......

abolisher of A$$holes
    now you're just trying to confuse everybody......

again, i could care less how big the hit is, i'm pretty educated and can easily guestimate the true distance from a picture. all i was saying is that when you post a dimension, the flaming starts and turns the thread lame in no time.......
    but this thread was already lame...and there weren't any measurements to begin with...

sorry...I'm sick and bored...

Glad to Be Alive
    Nah - I was thinking strictly in vertical feet. The gap may have been 80, but the drop, in vertical feet - probably wasn't more than 35' tops.

It doesn't matter when it comes down to it. I usually use the fun factor when deciding whether or not I want to hit something, if it's not fun - who cares how big it is?
    yeah, but to your other post....the verticleness on your drop in Colorado is still big....it is just funny when people say they did a 8 foot drop ( when it was 2 1/2 feet then a run out)and then really see an 8 foot drop

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...I'm sick and bored...
    oh no! you guys have bird floo!!!

just to stir the bowl, what about that one euro dude who blasted rennie's distance attempt outta the water? that guy hit a ski jump that looked to be no more than 20 feet tall, but flew 140 feet down the mountain?

obviously, it's less contraversial if people just post the pics without any claims, and let the pics speak for themselves.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    .......just to stir the bowl, what about that one euro dude who blasted rennie's distance attempt outta the water? that guy hit a ski jump that looked to be no more than 20 feet tall, but flew 140 feet down the mountain?........
    well, how can it be more than a 30 foot drop if he is no more than 30 feet away from the ground at any given moment regardless of how far he flies horizontally?

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yeah, but to your other post....the verticleness on your drop in Colorado is still big....it is just funny when people say they did a 8 foot drop ( when it was 2 1/2 feet then a run out)and then really see an 8 foot drop
    Yeah, I agree - I almost had to *gasp* turn off MTBR the other day while looking at some thread where 50 people were chiming in on the actual size of a drop. I'd be as happy as anyone to start seeing "Check it out, drop pics" instead of "50 foot road gap to ravine" and shite like that.
    Now with more vitriol!

abolisher of A$$holes
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    oh no! you guys have bird floo!!!
    yeah, both of us...it's from his grimey friend...he just got back from Asia...

abolisher of A$$holes
    oh yeah? you have hairy armpits......
    come on now...these people already think I'm a dirty hippy...

Now with flavor!!
    well, how can it be more than a 30 foot drop if he is no more than 30 feet away from the ground at any given moment regardless of how far he flies horizontally?
    It's science yo....

if the ground wasn't sloped and it was 100' up at the takeoff, jazzy jizzer would still fall the exact same distance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    It's science yo....

if the ground wasn't sloped and it was 100' up at the takeoff, jazzy jizzer would still fall the exact same distance.
    bwhahahaha

TNC
    noMAD man
    Now that's what I'm talking about. Kidwoo, all pics posted of drops should be required to be accompanied with a detailed, to scale, diagram like your example here...LOL! BTW, is the "Rennie Sux" a thought bubble or is he actually shouting that as he flies off the drop? I see one potential problem, however, with the rear wheel measuring system. The 24" wheel in your pic is going to be easy to scale the exact height of the drop. I can figure 2 feet for every wheel. But man, I'm going to have troube with a 26" wheel. I went to college, but not graduate school. I'm screwed!

mtbr member
    I agree with wch about how you shouldn't post dimensions. Just take pics of lots of different angles, and put some1 in the pic for a reference. However i disagree with the tranny part. If it is a really steep tranny, and you fly down it 13 feet, but the ladder is only 4ft high, your still dropping 13 feet. If you are talking about jumps, its a different story, but drops is different
    Sully

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    this problem will never go away whilst we have little newbies that dont know how to measure such things and that seek approval and compliments for doing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    WOW, I'll bet it made you wish CHODE*666 was still around to comment, huh?
    love the signature...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    CHODE*666 is dead. Long live CHODE*666. He coulda' been a moderator!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member

Uh-huh...

The brother is here
    Represent the Chode always
    huckmeister chode man

Haiku

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by 666*EDOHC
    The brother is here
    Represent the Chode always
    huckmeister chode man

Haiku
    ChodeStar is hucking with Jesus now, but he still has the ability to inspire!

"I learned this lesson from failures in life. These failures gave me great understandings: without e-hucking nothing is possible. Stop wondering in fool's daydreams and start your life over on the internet where there are no limits to your powers." - ChodeStar, 10/05

"When there is a hill to climb, don't think that waiting will make it smaller. MOTIVATION is what gets you started, DEDICATION is what makes you decide, DETERMINATION is what gets you going. Now get out there and SHUTTLE that biotch!" - ChodeStar, 10/05

"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, I did it. If anything goes really good, then I did it twice...in your face! That's all it takes to get people to love you on MTBR." - ChodeStar, 10/05

"Because of their courage, their lack of fear, e-huckers are willing to take silly risks. The true e-hucker is one who can think crazy; such a person knows full well that many of his great ideas will prove lost upon the intraweb masses. The creative e-hucker is flexible - he is able to increase the height of his hucks as the situation changes, to break the rules, to face indecision and changes in conditions without undue stress. He is not threatened by the 60-footer as rigid, inflexible people are." - ChodeStar, 10/05. This one is especially poignant as Chode uttered it right before he attempted the Grand Canyon gap.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I'm sure that CHODE* would probably challenge me to an arm-wrestle or something like that if he weren't 6 feet under. Rumor has it that that he is still around - but his latest scrape has rendered him unable to speak...

You know - kinda like Elvis - only different.
    Now with more vitriol!

Freeriding Feline

Whatever.

If you don't want to read measurements, don't open the damn post.
    No one should have to clear anything witht the "Measurement Police" to post a pic. If it's off and a five foot drop is said to be a 15 footer the guy is going to get blasted by keyboard happy critics anyway.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    From now on, all my pics will be of me holding a yard stick in one hand as I hit a drop or gap. Problem solved.

Members who have read this thread: 0