play in the new shock?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New question here. play in the new shock?

sorry to bother you guys again but i installed the new dhx 5 to the bike (it was the right size) and there is a tiny bit of play so if you push on the seat lightly you will hear and feel it and same if you drop it. Getting the bushings out was a horrible job they didnt want to come out at all. could i have damaged the spot where they sit or the bushing that came from the van r? im pretty worried about this and dont want to wreck it, but want to ride it tommorow. any suggestions and by the way there was a tiny washer that came on the bushings while the van r was in and that got rid of all play could i have got the wrong bolts because the bolts were different sizes or put the washer in the wrong spot?

any help appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Pictures of the damage would help, post em and we can give you an accurate answer

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Thanks nick.

you were just the guy i wanted to hear from. i have been studying your rebuild tutorials online because i have a new problem and i was hoping you would help because you seem pretty cluey with the dhx's. now what happend is i was tryin to make the rebound faster and the cap that you spin came out (unwinded it self and now doest do squat) with a little ball bearing that fell out and i lost that by the way. next when i was taking the bushing out i think i loosened the piston? they were corroded in and me and a mate were rattling the thing twisting it and i think it was loosening it. and i was turning it anti clockwise examing the rebound thing which seems like an impossible job and all this oil pisses out onto my leg. and now i have two parts to my shock . GAY. so now im exploring my options and i think my best option is a push. they give new bushings (the ones from the van r are super doggy looking at the moment, rebound revalv. is that what im looking for? and a bunch of nifty things. would this be better than sending to fox becaus push is $200 how bunch do you think fox will charge it is an 07 and may be under warranty but id say thats void now lol.

so once again all help appreciated and ill try and get some photos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Image0137.jpg

Image0132.jpg

Image0133.jpg

Image0131.jpg

thats the photos dont know if that helps ask if you need new ones and new thing before the rebound cap would screw in now there is a small metal like pipe blocking the way and it obviously wont go in

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Those silver things at the end of your shock are reducers. Bushing or eyelet is the thing where the reducers go in to. Both are changeable low cost parts. Check ebay with the search word "fox bushing", you will find the tool and bushings. Reducers you can probably order from a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Cheers for the pics
    Firstly, yes im pretty sure any warrenty you had is void now!

Righto, first thing regarding your rebound
    Im surprised that your shaft unwound from the piston inside, never heard of that one before?? to fix that problem normally would be as easy as following my guide to take the apart the shock, reattach the piston then assemble and fill with oil etc. etc.

BUT

That metal shaft thats now blocking your rebound adjuster is the rebound needle, and im gonna say your best bet is to send it to push, because that detent ball you lost is important to the rebound assembly but also because resetting those rebound needles after they have been moved without taking the shaft apart (which requires special tools and knowledge) is a massive PITA, i took me about 25 tries before i finally got my rebound working again one time, now im super careful not to knock the needle

Push will take the shaft apart and rebuild the rebound assembly, rebuild the shock and will do the eyelets aswell

Sorry for what seems a negative reply but its probably the best thing to do (send it to push) it seems you where mega unlucky to have that shaft unwind from the piston

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thanks mate any idea why the rebound came apart

mtbr member
    There isnt anything holding the rebound knob in there, it sort of just sits, i.e you wind it in and out, you cant cause it to fall out by winding it in as it impacts the the shaft eyelet, but you can cause it to fall out by unwinding it, it just simply winds itself outta the thread, you may feel some resistance as you hit the rebound needle needle but given enough force it will continue to unwind

May The Force Be With You
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser / Facebook: NyNomadFJC

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    well i have heard push does a great job and transforms the feel of it. and they better because not even a day and i screwed it . for $200 i thought ripper but 400 im starting to regret it lol so hopefully they do an awesome job and make it worth buying the new shocker and i live in aus can i still get it done?

May The Force Be With You
    still get in done by PUSH even though you live in Aus? i would assume yes.. never hurts to email or call to double check but i don't see why they won't... , it would just take a little longer then it would if you lived over here
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser / Facebook: NyNomadFJC

Members who have read this thread: 0