Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is... - Page 12- Mtbr.com
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 2,201 to 2,280 of 2280
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Wow. Anyone willing to test out the durability of axles on these? If the axles are safe then that's an insanely great offer.

(...But I'm staying on plastic pedals anyway. :-p)
    I'd try them if I could find them for that claimed $35 or less shipped. I can only find them for $37.90 + $5.49 shipping. Still not bad, but not what I was expecting. I can usually find a pedal's weakness in regular use, rather than the quick death and potential injury of hucking jumps.

For my own use, I'm still hooked on the Shimano Saint MX80s. They are a good size and nice Q-factor for my big feet. I'd like to see how the new XT large platform pedals compare to the old Saints.

mtbr member

iSSi Stomp Pedals XL

Stomp XL is iSSi's first attempt at a platform pedal:

Length: 120mm overall, 102mm pin-to-pin
    Width: 112.5mm from crank to outside pin, 94.5mm pin-to-pin
    Concavity: 2mm body, 7.5mm effective (pin-to-body)
    Flip-able traction pins, 5.5mm or 4.5mm length. 11 per side
    Full-length chromoly spindle, one bushing (inner) and two sealed

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-issi-stomp-pedal.jpg
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

Ride Everything
    Just received my iSSi Stomp samples, and was surprised by the platforms' size. Up there with the Crankbrothers Stamp (large). Interesting that iSSi went with pins that can be top- or bottom-mounted.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-dxqesenu8aa4bqh.jpg
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! DMR Vault Brendog pro model vs VP Harrier ti model

My DMR Vault Brendog pro model vs VP Harrier ti model pictured below:

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-harrier-vs-brendog.jpg

The Vault is a classic traditional pedal design. The all black ano is appealing, perhaps the only pedal on the market to feature its pro riders IG handle and signature laser etched into the pedal. Functionally, pedal feels bearings smooth and CNC body solid when spinning, although chunkier and heavier (they are DH rated after all) than most flat thin models in the past couple years.

Update: Also, VP did in fact service the pedals; they have a USA office based in California. Turnaround was quick once pedals were received. Thanks, VP!

The service pack for the Harrier Pedal is the "VP-DH5" Pedal Kit (includes stock steel spindles which are not needed to service pedals) which are still elusive to find even online at retail.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My first foray into flats in many years, just got these VP harrier altitude titaniumís for my new Spot rollik. The feel of riding flats with five tens is so much different than riding clips but so far after only a couple of rides Iím loving them. I want to try out the one up components alum flats on my fuel ex next.
    Anyway there arenít many pics of the TI vps on the web so hereís a few pics. They are kinda stiff rotating but hopefully that breaks in a bit. Definitely not bearing smooth.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-faf378f6-6065-4b03-ab49-b1a0d77b5888.jpgPlatform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-994aeb4f-885d-4a2f-8dde-c71753f94b7f.jpgPlatform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-ba384117-046f-4997-9403-98457dc4c41b.jpg

Ride Everything
    Those are great pics, Supafly9. Do you know if the roller bearings are used inboard or outboard?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The ďroller bearingĒ is almost like a tiny washer that sits behind the small outboard hex screw. Itís only purpose in life is to lower friction between the spindle and the hex screw. To be honest I donít think it does much. I will take some pics to show you.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-74b47a52-4543-44be-8171-90a6385d7739.jpgPlatform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-f322491c-7997-4f6d-a273-e5af8165bb3b.jpgPlatform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-0b478757-93df-4fe9-9a28-ed4cfbd6e703.jpgPlatform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-d4978b63-5c69-4d59-8f85-f6326779e170.jpg

meow, meow.
    Looks like there's a little (perhaps impossible to notice with hand test) axial play by design, so as not to overload the tiny axial bearing?
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

Ride Everything
    Thanks for posting those additional photos.

Regarding play--I spoke to one of the IGUS engineers at Interbike last year, and he said that a small amount of play is needed for sleeve-type bearings (aka, "bushings"). While that's a no-no for ball/cartridge bearings, it's no big deal for sleeve bearings.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Supafly9 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA384117-046F-4997-9403-98457DC4C41B.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	1188376
    Looks like they will have the same problem I encountered with my Spank Spikes...

You see the way the hex head on the pins to the front and back stick out from the pedal body? After enough rock strikes those will be ground down to were you can't even get a hex wrench in there to take the pins out.

Great pedals besides that...

mtbr member

Wink Walk This Way

Just picked these up for $24 shipped, for a beater town bike.

Lixada
    Steel Axle & CNC Aluminum Alloy
    3 Bearings
    12 x 11 x 1.5cm
    Weight: 156g per pedal
    Package Weight: 388g / 13.70oz

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-lixada-platform-pedals.jpg

mtbr member

Good job! Ish on Em

Got these Lixada flat pedals in hand, shipped door to door from Asia to California faster than most sellers take to "process orders" in New York ... seller: ilastone with 170K transactions, impressed for the price, 1/5 of any other name brand comparable. Edge to edge, footprint near identical to Brendog DMR Vaults which sell for $100+ more and are 100g heavier. Have to put some miles on them to report on their durability, but in hand, in line with comparable pedals, looking good so far.

8 years and 987,220 views after my first post in this thread, these Lixada pedals take the crown for best value platform pedals at $24 shipped.

Why?

- Allen key no pedal wrench needed
    - L & R clearly marked for installation ease
    - Pin placement near the center of axle which was identified in this thread as the missing link
    - Bearing sealing (blue o-ring) inboard and anodized aluminum insert on outboard
    - platform size equal to some of the largest DH/FR pedals on the market including the Gamut Podium and DMR Vault (still smaller than the Harrier)
    - anodizing not the finest due to shortcuts in finish prep, but it's matte and clean
    - CNC machining not the finest, but it is still evident
    - $24 shipped, a price bested only by plastic pedals that cannot compare in thinness, weight, or build materials.

My photo below showing actual weight (316g, lighter than advertised) and in comparison to my Gamut Podiums installed to XTR crank on my SS full rigid 29er. I'll be putting the Lixada's on my ladies road bike so she doesn't have to wear those ridiculous tip tap hard as a rock, uncomfortable, velcro clad road shoes on date night commute.

And it goes to show that the feedback in this thread makes an impact with who what and where with the platform pedals market. Thanks to y'all for continuing to contribute feedback, photos, and your own experiences in shaping the "platform pedal" world to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-platform-pedal-shootout-2018-%2424-shipped.jpg  

meow, meow.
    Meanwhile, I built another rigid steel 26er, and put another pair of Kore Rivera Thermo on it. Not that I'm set on this particular model, I just had a pair of these in black.

(The tires are ghey, I know. Went for that "light footed" feel for motoring climbs.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metrotuned View Post
    Got these Lixada flat pedals in hand, shipped door to door from Asia to California faster than most sellers take to "process orders" in New York ... seller: ilastone with 170K transactions, impressed for the price, 1/5 of any other name brand comparable. Edge to edge, footprint near identical to Brendog DMR Vaults which sell for $100+ more and are 100g heavier. Have to put some miles on them to report on their durability, but in hand, in line with comparable pedals, looking good so far.

8 years and 987,220 views after my first post in this thread, these Lixada pedals take the crown for best value platform pedals at $24 shipped.

Why?

- Allen key no pedal wrench needed
    - L & R clearly marked for installation ease
    - Pin placement near the center of axle which was identified in this thread as the missing link
    - Bearing sealing (blue o-ring) inboard and anodized aluminum insert on outboard
    - platform size equal to some of the largest DH/FR pedals on the market including the Gamut Podium and DMR Vault (still smaller than the Harrier)
    - anodizing not the finest due to shortcuts in finish prep, but it's matte and clean
    - CNC machining not the finest, but it is still evident
    - $24 shipped, a price bested only by plastic pedals that cannot compare in thinness, weight, or build materials.

My photo below showing actual weight (316g, lighter than advertised) and in comparison to my Gamut Podiums installed to XTR crank on my SS full rigid 29er. I'll be putting the Lixada's on my ladies road bike so she doesn't have to wear those ridiculous tip tap hard as a rock, uncomfortable, velcro clad road shoes on date night commute.

And it goes to show that the feedback in this thread makes an impact with who what and where with the platform pedals market. Thanks to y'all for continuing to contribute feedback, photos, and your own experiences in shaping the "platform pedal" world to come.
    Can these pedals handle DH drops? Thanks for creating this thread, and finding those pedals!

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    I put Origin8 Slimline pedals on my go-to bike last week, rode them for a few hours, and I'm pretty happy with them. Good grip, thin, light, moderately priced ($64 shipped from Amazon), and no drawbacks that I can see so far.

After putting 26" wheels on a 27.5" frame I've been getting more strikes than before, so over the next few weeks I expect to see how they hold up to some abuse. I'm sure they won't hold up like the Hope F20s on my DH bike, but these are 1/2 the price and 3/4 the weight and this bike doesn't see a lot of rocky terrain.

Their pic doesn't really do justice how thin they are, I was surprised when I get them out of the box.

Attachment 1083610
    Just short of two years later... there's a nut inside the pedal that holds it to the axle, and that nut came loose on the right-side pedal, causing the platform to come completely off of the axle.

I have an 8mm socket that fits the nut but the outside diameter of the socket is too big to fit into the pedal.

Anyone know of a good source for a thin-walled 8mm socket or nut-driver? If not, I'm just torn between buying a cheap socket and turning it down to fit, or moving on to another set of pedals. Been itching to try the Catalyst pedals anyhow...

The pins on these have survived more strikes than I care to admit (27.5 frame + 26 wheels = low clearance). More manufacturers should use pins like these - the flared bases seem to make them extra tough. But, strong pins don't really count for much on a pedal that's no longer attached to the crank.
    Last edited by NWS; 06-16-2018 at 07:51 PM.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For years (decades) I rode with the ball of my foot over the axle, but have been experimenting with mid-foot placement on and off for a couple years. After the Origin8 pedal blew up on me, I bought a set of Pedaling Innovations Catalysts. Picture from their site:

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-img_8056-small-600x400.jpg

Mounted them today and rode for a couple hours. As you'd expect, mid-foot placement feels better with the long platform. I like it. The extra support feels nice, mostly because I have less weight on the middles of my arches now. I'm not riding with my foot quite as far forward as they show in their diagram, but maybe I'll end up like that over time. Or not. We'll see. I definitely have no regrets about trying these pedals.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    For years (decades) I rode with the ball of my foot over the axle, but have been experimenting with mid-foot placement on and off for a couple years. After the Origin8 pedal blew up on me, I bought a set of Pedaling Innovations Catalysts. Picture from their site:

Name:	IMG_8056-small-600x400.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	1203991

Mounted them today and rode for a couple hours. As you'd expect, mid-foot placement feels better with the long platform. I like it. The extra support feels nice, mostly because I have less weight on the middles of my arches now. I'm not riding with my foot quite as far forward as they show in their diagram, but maybe I'll end up like that over time. Or not. We'll see. I definitely have no regrets about trying these pedals.
    I like these pedals. I have a set I use for dh riding and love them. I also have a set of crampons I like too.

My bikes:
    DH - 165mm cranks with catalyst or straitline de factos
    GG Shred Dogg 145mm travel - 160mm cranks with canfield bros crampons
    GG pedalhead plus hardtail- 160mm cranks with catalyst

I do go back and forth on the catalyst pedals. I rode them all last season for dh, and Iím starting on them again this year, but I replaced all the short set screws for longer ones.

I havenít decided if I want to try them again for trail riding and jumping, but I love them for dh because my feet donít develop horrible pains in them. I also have them on my plus hardtail too.

But it might be a crank length thing for me: I have 160mm cranks with the crampons and they donít give me arch pain, and my dh bike has 165mm cranks, so the longer pedal might help when Iím on cranks too long for me.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So far I've only used them on smooth jump trails but I can see how these would be great for riding DH if you like the axle under the middle of your foot. My DH bike has Hope F20 pedals and I've just been riding with the axle under the ball of my foot - I just revert to my old comfort zone on lift-served stuff. But I'll have to put these pedals on that bike this summer to see how that goes. My feet haven't bothered me much with downhill though, it's my hands that are the limiting factor there.

mtbr member
    I'm loving my Kona Wah Wah 2s. IMO, best bang for your buck pedal right now. 360 grams total and huge platform. and only $60

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/kona-w...ls-review.html

Ride Everything
    Just posted my review of nine flat pedals that you can read here.

mtbr member
    pedal platform size- is there such a thing as "too big"? I am seeing some HUGE pedals lately and some of them seem impractical for people with anything less than size 13 shoes.

Ride Everything
    If a platform is big and tall, it's more prone to rock strikes. If it's big and thin, then it's just about perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    pedal platform size- is there such a thing as "too big"? I am seeing some HUGE pedals lately and some of them seem impractical for people with anything less than size 13 shoes.
    I think it depends on pin placement and your shoes. I'm on my 2nd pair of Chromag Scarabs which are pretty big. I can't remember which shoes I had before, but I remember feeling like I couldn't get enough grip from the pins on the outer edge. My current set came with a bike I bought and I'm wearing the FiveTen Freerider Contact in size 10 and feeling like i'm getting pretty good grip out of them.

So if the pin placement doesn't work for your shoes, i could see pedals being too big.

-joel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    If a platform is big and tall, it's more prone to rock strikes. If it's big and thin, then it's just about perfect.
    You just described the Kona Wah Wah 2s. Even with my size 8 Freeriders, I prefer the larger pedals to old pedals. Feels like my feet are always in the sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    You just described the Kona Wah Wah 2s. Even with my size 8 Freeriders, I prefer the larger pedals to old pedals. Feels like my feet are always in the sweet spot.
    I'm size 8 shoes and ride the massive Catalyst Pedal. It really does allow me to position both my heel and balls on the pedal. The only issue is pedal strikes - which I'm adapting to, might happen once or twice per ride depending on the terrain - it's not that bad.

The Wah Wah 2 have me intrigued, but I think it still might be slightly "short" to have proper midfoot placement?

mtbr member
    That Catalyst looks on the extreme end of long pedals. I don't believe Wah Wah 2s are as long, but a little wider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    That Catalyst looks on the extreme end of long pedals. I don't believe Wah Wah 2s are as long, but a little wider.
    Yup. I think the Catalyst are the longest on the market - but IMO that's a good thing as it truly supports a midfoot pedal position. With Size 8 feet, I don't need wider, maybe thinner pedal and a better pin layout would make the Catalyst perfect.

mtbr member

Good job! Vintage Rare USA Made FTW Brooklyn Machine Works Shinburger Veggieburger

The Vintage USA pedal market is robust =) reminds me of seeing the squirrel cage Crupi pedals back in the day on the 'bay - ironically, those 80s BMX CNC'd and stamped pedals make the bologna sandwich sized BMW pedals appear "slim". The Veggie Burger is one of the first pedals I reviewed. They are gorgeous as meat mallet hammer specimens but on bike, very heavy. You have to rock a large crank arm to make them look proportional - I was on the Shimano Saint at the time - first generation robotech armor. Can see the opposite working too like a Tune Fastfoot or Middleburn UNO or Cook Bros crank.

Below pictured from June 24th 2018 --- Those asking prices, though =)

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-brooklyn-machine-works-pedals-market-used-june-2018.jpg

meow, meow.
    Below pictured from June 24th 2018 --- Those asking prices, though =)
    I guess it's the value of memories from back when freeride bikes were way overbuilt and Urban Assault was all the rage.

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    Anyone used the replica composites out there now days? Seem to be many copies, but Id wager to bet they come from the same factory.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Iím putting a set on my sons bike as we speak. I got them on a lightning deal for $17, curiosity killed the cat. For the record, they look exactly like RFCers

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    pictures/links>

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

mtbr member

Wink Bontrager Line Pro Pedal 2018 Summer

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-bontrager-line-pro-pedals.jpg

Bontrager Line Pro Pedal, 102mm x 99mm with a 17mm thickness, 420g weight

Is it any different than at least a dozen other pedals? $100 price point. It resembles the UK Nukeproof pedal line for finishing, and the shape is similar to the heavy duty downhill freeride rated DMR Vault. Can only see if you're a Bontrager fan and trying to match components, otherwise the yawn factor here is heavy.

Now on page 75 in the thread, is it safe to say that the platform pedals bar is set: new offerings should be 100x100x15, 375g weight, <$100, sealed bearings. If over $100, need special finishing, pro rider model, titanium spindles, pin customization, bearing overhaul kits plentiful and economical with minimal shop tools.

meow, meow.
    Is it any different than at least a dozen other pedals? $100 price point.

...the yawn factor here is heavy.
    Same thoughts here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any new recommendations out there?

Really liked the TMac's but already did a spindle and pin refresh in one season and they seem to be losing grip. Could also go back to the Bladerunners.

Thinking about:
    1. Superstar Nano-X EVO
    2. Large Stamp
    3. iSSi Stomp XL

Keeping this thread alive is paramount too.

meow, meow.
    I only keep track of plastic pedals with molded pins, and here are two models I've spotted recently: Xpedo Juvee XMX25NC and HTI P12. At 17-18 mm, both are thin enough. The axles on both models have full circular flanges facing the crank.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How is the tmac losing grip?
    Ive running the oneup composites with good luck. Have been thinking about going back to the tmacs tho for a nice big platform. Ive had the htc me03t on for a few weeks and now they are in a box. Super light, decent grip, but i wanted a bigger platform.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsalsa View Post
    Any new recommendations out there?

Really liked the TMac's but already did a spindle and pin refresh in one season and they seem to be losing grip. Could also go back to the Bladerunners.

Thinking about:
    1. Superstar Nano-X EVO
    2. Large Stamp
    3. iSSi Stomp XL

Keeping this thread alive is paramount too.
    Could it be the shoes? I'm on chromag scarabs and they've been pretty durable. I have been wearing fiveten fiveten contacts for a couple years and then switched to bontrager flatlines. My grip got a little better. That said, a friend of mine is gonna hook me up on a straight trade for some tmacs. Even if I have to rebuild them every year that seems like a good deal to me.

MCMXCV
    I have a set of the new ANVL Tilts in route and should have them Tuesday......

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I have a set of the new ANVL Tilts in route and should have them Tuesday......
    Ooh yes. Do report on them after you get to ride them. I was going to give them a shot before my friend offered the tmacs.

mtbr member
    I have been using deity bladerunners for around 5 years now.
    Solid pedal, has taken rock strikes and the axles are still true

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    How is the tmac losing grip?
    Ive running the oneup composites with good luck. Have been thinking about going back to the tmacs tho for a nice big platform. Ive had the htc me03t on for a few weeks and now they are in a box. Super light, decent grip, but i wanted a bigger platform.

Not sure really, ran the freerider pro's and just got a set of contacts. Did a pin rebuild too. I feel like once in the air I'm not getting as much grab as I did before. It could be that some of the compound changed and it's just not biting as much.

The contacts are mi6 so that is technically the grippiest rubber. The old contacts are s1 which has less grip.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Have you had a chance to ride on the new Tilt pedals yet?

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    Have you had a chance to ride on the new Tilt pedals yet?
    I did 1 short road ride and they are not for me... The concave hurt my feet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I had the contacts which has the smooth bottom and now the freerider pro with the dots. I don't like the dots because they snag.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Oh wow, didn't even give them a shot on the trail? What pedals did you have before? Have you ridden vaults? Seem very similar but with a different pin layout.

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    Oh wow, didn't even give them a shot on the trail? What pedals did you have before? Have you ridden vaults? Seem very similar but with a different pin layout.
    No, I wanted to keep them looking like new so I could sell them.... I currently ride OneUp aluminum and Hope F20s.

I have a neuroma in my right foot that causes me nothing but grief, and I wanted to try the deep dish concave style to see if they helped, but it only made it worse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Those tilt pedals in orange look sexy. Lighter than tmacs and have concavity front to back and side to side sounds perfect. All at $100 sounds like a great deal. That will probably my next pedal. Ive been on oneup composites. No issues whatsoever. They will continue to last a long time. The only gripe is more concave but hard to do on a thin platform.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    am size 12/12.5 (us 46/47) and chance u can recomend me best pedals consider fact i am 6.30 (194cm)and 220lbs ( 95kg) using bike for forest / up/downhills .

budget up to 150$

lmk ty

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Im curious about the tilt pedal by anvil. Looks good. It also comes in composite.

mtbr member
    One Up Composite Pedal versus Stamp 1 Large from Crank Brothers! This is the juice, larger platform and 30g lighter for the pair. All else, details look about the same, no? Design is more angular, sharper, thinner pedal body, same <$50 msrp retail price. Nice!

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-crank-brothers-stamp-1-pedals-composite.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kurgan999 View Post
    am size 12/12.5 (us 46/47) and chance u can recomend me best pedals consider fact i am 6.30 (194cm)and 220lbs ( 95kg) using bike for forest / up/downhills .

budget up to 150$

lmk ty
    VP Harrier pedals have a nice big platform and I've used them well above your weight. Another good option would be One Up Alloy pedals, which theoretically should last longer due to a bearing over a bush setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Wow, only 4g heavier than the $300 Crank 11 Large pedals. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot ...

One Up Composite Pedal versus Stamp 1 Large from Crank Brothers! This is the juice, larger platform and 30g lighter for the pair. All else, details look about the same, no? Design is more angular, sharper, thinner pedal body, same <$50 msrp retail price. Nice!

Name:	Crank Brothers Stamp 1 pedals composite.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	1226041

mtbr member
    2019 been good with the One Up Composite Pedals. For under $50 retail, these have been everything they were advertised. Recommended if +$100 for alloy equivalents are too rich for ya. P.S. The same sized Crank-Brothers-Stamp-11-Pedals with titanium spindles are selling for $300.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's not just size and weight though. Isn't the oneup a convex oedal vs the stamp being concave ( or maybe flat). The convex is a non starter for me. I don't like the feel of pedals where the spindle area is thicker than the edges. I also don't like $300 pedals though. :P

mtbr member

Control Tech Lynx Platform Pedals

Anyone have feedback on exactly what Control Tech is up to with the Lynx pedals? The body looks thin, but then there are these "integrated peg design"pad risers coming out from the edges. Are those rubber or aluminum integrated with the pedal body? Control Tech Lynx Platform Pedals photo below:

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-control-tech-lynx-pedals.jpg

CNC machined aluminum with triple bearing system
    Dimensions: 100mm x 104mm
    Spindle: 9/16" CrMo
    Weight: 388g
    Retail: $84

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Really like the look of the new Xpedo Trident pedals coming out soon. Heaps of aggressive pins on a large, thin platform. https://m.pinkbike.com/news/4-new-fl...show-2019.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That xpedo does look good. I dont like the thin pins, they stick too much. With such a thin pedal there wont be any real concavity. Really liking the feel of the thicker tmacs. I have the xpedo, ht me03, oneup composites at home and settled on the tmacs. Didnt want to carry that extra weight, oh well. Might wanna try these new xpedos when they come out.

Ride Everything
    I found my (new) favorite flat pedal -- Deity's TMAC. Outstanding grip/support. Not the slimmest pedal on the market, but I'll learn to live with it. Posted my review here.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Xpedo Trident

From the pinkbike coverage: "The Trident is a totally new pedal platform for Xpedo and takes up the mantle from where the Spry left off. It's also Xpedo's thinnest ever platform as it shave 1mm off the Spry to come in at 10mm. The forged body pedal has dimensions of 114x109 and weighs 342 grams/pair. The pedals will retail at $119 but an upgrade to this oil slick bass boat colour scheme will incur an extra $30 cost."

How many other large platform pedals are 10mm or thinner? If you go from 10mm pedals, and back up to chunky Brooklyn Machine Works, it's like wearing platform heels when riding; the performance of thin pedals so you're near the axle, is evident when you do this butt testing.

Photo below of the Trident pedal
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-trident-xpedo.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Can anybody attest to the durability of HT's newer Evo+ bushing system? I wanted to give them consideration for a lightweight all Mtn build, and I love the stealth black look, but have my doubts regarding the maintenance needed to keep them running smooth. Reasonable price too, unlessninget Ti axle.

Other lightweights I am considering are the Spry and Vault Mag Ti. On the Sprys, I'd most certainly swap in some grub screws with loctite...thinking that would solve the grip issues people have, and I dont much like the glossy black and gold look for my build...but price is right. For the Vaults, I don't love the gold/black look, but could ditch the gold pins and be okay...and I'm guessing the concave grip/feel would be better than others mentioned here, at cost of more rock strikes and $$.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Can anybody attest to the durability of HT's newer Evo+ bushing system? I wanted to give them consideration for a lightweight all Mtn build, and I love the stealth black look, but have my doubts regarding the maintenance needed to keep them running smooth. Reasonable price too, unlessninget Ti axle.

Other lightweights I am considering are the Spry and Vault Mag Ti. On the Sprys, I'd most certainly swap in some grub screws with loctite...thinking that would solve the grip issues people have, and I dont much like the glossy black and gold look for my build...but price is right. For the Vaults, I don't love the gold/black look, but could ditch the gold pins and be okay...and I'm guessing the concave grip/feel would be better than others mentioned here, at cost of more rock strikes and $$.
    Consider the VP Harrier. In the Altitude version it's even more light weight.

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004

I currently run the ME03s. I'm not sure what makes the Evo bushings different than any other bushing. That being said, they good, grippy pedals that are lightweight. They seem to be sealed well if you ride in the wet. Not as grippy as Oneup aluminum (which are crazy) but still good. Magnesium bodies can get beat up by rocks but so far the ME03s are holding up well.

Ran the sprys for a while. I even replaced the pins with their split tips and the traction wasn't enough. They just don't have enough pins IMO.

Be cautious going with titanium spindles unless you are very light. Most ti pedals have a weight limit, usually well under 200lb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Organ View Post
    I currently run the ME03s. I'm not sure what makes the Evo bushings different than any other bushing. That being said, they good, grippy pedals that are lightweight. They seem to be sealed well if you ride in the wet. Not as grippy as Oneup aluminum (which are crazy) but still good. Magnesium bodies can get beat up by rocks but so far the ME03s are holding up well.

Ran the sprys for a while. I even replaced the pins with their split tips and the traction wasn't enough. They just don't have enough pins IMO.

Be cautious going with titanium spindles unless you are very light. Most ti pedals have a weight limit, usually well under 200lb.

Cool. Just a high number of reviews on vender websites and so forth complaining about having to rebuild frequently, so that was/is making me skeptical.

And fortunately I weigh only 150lbs and dont do big air/drops like I used to, so ti should be no problem...

It's down to the Vault Mag Ti and ME03 (or ME03T) now.

Edit: HT is out. Buddy was just telling me how much he liked them, but needs to rebuild. No thanks. Ha
    Last edited by RAG2; 04-26-2019 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member

Burgtec joins composite pedal race

All right, new old pedal from a classic company call burgtec and they are joining the composite pedal race including one-up, Crank Brothers. While not the largest platform the aesthetics and the shape are near identical to the MK4 it clones, which is a $150 alloy pedal. Also, lots of rich matte colors.

Burgtec Composite Penthouse Mk4 specifications
    Material: Recyclable nylon/fiberglass composite
    Platform size: 101mm x 96.8mm
    Profile: 17.96mm
    Axle: SCM415 Cromo
    Pins: 16 x 16mm pins per pedal
    Dish: 2.8mm
    Bearings: 1 x bearing race, 1 x split bushing
    Weight: 380g pair
    Colours: yellow, blue, white, purple, brown, red, black, orange
    Price: <$50
    Available: 4th April 2019

Photo below from singletrack:
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-stw-2019-01-31-dsc07911-1800x1200.jpg

meow, meow.
    Another thin, concave, plastic option with molded pins: Race Face Ride. While the pins don't bite, the price does...
    https://www.raceface.com/products/details/ride-pedal

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I ordered a set of deity Blade Runner as well as the HTME03. I like both. Alternating back-and-forth I notice no difference in feel or grip, which is a good thing because the grip is a solid 9 out of 10 and the thin profile minimize is roc strikes. I haven't ridden enough to determine durability but I already know that the Blade Runner will outlast your bike before needing any service. The HT magnesium short is light! I ordered the titanium axle to install but I'm gonna wait until I feel like they need a refresh before tearing into them and installing the titanium.

Cool. Just a high number of reviews on vender websites and so forth complaining about having to rebuild frequently, so that was/is making me skeptical.

And fortunately I weigh only 150lbs and dont do big air/drops like I used to, so ti should be no problem...

It's down to the Vault Mag Ti and ME03 (or ME03T) now.

Edit: HT is out. Buddy was just telling me how much he liked them, but needs to rebuild. No thanks. Ha

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well, not shocked but a bit bummed...the HTs already feel like they need a rebuild. They sure are light...just not sure if the weight savings is worth the "roughness"...feels like metal on metal.

For anybody not counting grams, the Diety Bladerunner is a much better alternative for a thin flat pedal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    Well, not shocked but a bit bummed...the HTs already feel like they need a rebuild. They sure are light...just not sure if the weight savings is worth the "roughness"...feels like metal on metal.

For anybody not counting grams, the Diety Bladerunner is a much better alternative for a thin flat pedal.

How many miles do you have on the ME03s? I have a few hundred on mine and so far-so good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Organ View Post
    How many miles do you have on the ME03s? I have a few hundred on mine and so far-so good.
    Yeah, I probably have about the same.

mtbr member

Hope

The HTs have nice bodies and CNC work on the aluminum but the bearings are tiny and blow up. They're def. disposable and if you're looking for a platform pedal, try to find a pedal/brand that offers rebuild kits easily readily available online. I like DMR Brendogs for that reason - the DMR kits for pins and rebuilds are all over the place so you're not left stranded.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-dmr-vault-grey.jpg

The same cannot be said about other boutique pedals. If you're looking at HT you can pretty much get equivalent disposable pedals on ebay for $30-40, same build and anodization with an OEM generic name.

If you're looking for composite plastic pedals (the value is decreasing due to the amount of alloy equivalents available) check out the review off-site MTBR at Gravel Bike. It's a "$50 pedal roundup:"

https://www.gravelbike.com/50-flat-pedal-roundup/

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I went back to my meo3 because i had wanted a thinner pedal to counter the low bottom bracket. Grip is decent, has NO feel, and the aluminum puns don't last at all. It also developed a creak. Im going back to the tmacs. Its just more enjoyable and sure footed despite the weight. Im interested the the vaults but at this point after having tried so many pedals, the tmac is the way to go and the oneup composites are the best bang for the buck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I went back to my meo3 because i had wanted a thinner pedal to counter the low bottom bracket. Grip is decent, has NO feel, and the aluminum puns don't last at all. It also developed a creak. Im going back to the tmacs. Its just more enjoyable and sure footed despite the weight. Im interested the the vaults but at this point after having tried so many pedals, the tmac is the way to go and the oneup composites are the best bang for the buck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    try the Canfield Crampons.....they last and last
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    +1

SMT, there's a name I haven't seen in a long time! Hope all is well man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The HTs have nice bodies and CNC work on the aluminum but the bearings are tiny and blow up. They're def. disposable and if you're looking for a platform pedal, try to find a pedal/brand that offers rebuild kits easily readily available online. I like DMR Brendogs for that reason - the DMR kits for pins and rebuilds are all over the place so you're not left stranded.

Name:	dmr vault grey.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	1282505

The same cannot be said about other boutique pedals. If you're looking at HT you can pretty much get equivalent disposable pedals on ebay for $30-40, same build and anodization with an OEM generic name.

If you're looking for composite plastic pedals (the value is decreasing due to the amount of alloy equivalents available) check out the review off-site MTBR at Gravel Bike. It's a "$50 pedal roundup:"

https://www.gravelbike.com/50-flat-pedal-roundup/
    +1 on the DMR vaults grip like a mofo and pins are easy to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    +1

SMT, there's a name I haven't seen in a long time! Hope all is well man.
    right back at you.......facebook has ruined everything
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    AMEN to that Bro! Good to see you on here! The pins... not so much tho (as with any flat pedal). I checked mine last night and half the pins were gone, LOL! Still kept me on the pedals tho!!! There is not a better pedal on the planet and that is just absolute fact.

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Loving my new nukeproof horizon pro Sam Hills. My Strateline defactos are also perfect after 4 years of abuse.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.