platform pedal recomendations- Mtbr.com
    keystone addict

platform pedal recomendations

I'm in the market for some new platform pedals after being a [email protected] and destroying my azonic a-frames with a drill (long story ). Anyways, which ones do you guys ride and really like? I really liked my a-frames, so I'll probably get those again unless you guys have really strong feelings for something else...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    I'm in the market for some new platform pedals after being a [email protected] and destroying my azonic a-frames with a drill (long story ). Anyways, which ones do you guys ride and really like? I really liked my a-frames, so I'll probably get those again unless you guys have really strong feelings for something else...
    you know, im not a big fan of my a frames right now but what ive ridden on a couple times are the eastons and wow are they grippy

mtbr member
    and destroying my azonic a-frames with a drill (long story )....
    long story located here

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=253054

the best of both worlds
    Funn soljam vipers. Super grippy!

mtbr member
    Syncros Mental............best grip youll ever find!!!!!!!!!!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    you know, im not a big fan of my a frames right now but what ive ridden on a couple times are the eastons and wow are they grippy
    i rock the easton cullys and they are pretty bad ass, no bent axles yet and only one lost pin in over a year. typically pedals last me about 3 months.....

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Truvativ Hollzfellers and 5.10 shoes, nuff said.

(honestly, the 5.10 are the more important factor if you ask me.)

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Tioga MX pedals are great. Big surface area but thin and very grippy. Also about 30 bucks cheaper than the Eastons.

keystone addict
    The eastons do look pretty nice. Too bad they cost nearly twice what the a-frames do. They sound strong, which is obviously a plus. I was looking at atomlabs, but I've heard their bearings are absolutely terrible (and, I've actually had a pair of aircorps blow up on me before). I sure like the look of the trail kings though. What about the crank bros. 5050 sealed verson?

ride hard take risks
    The eastons do look pretty nice. Too bad they cost nearly twice what the a-frames do. They sound strong, which is obviously a plus. I was looking at atomlabs, but I've heard their bearings are absolutely terrible (and, I've actually had a pair of aircorps blow up on me before). I sure like the look of the trail kings though. What about the crank bros. 5050 sealed verson?
    You get what you pay for.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffy
    Syncros Mental............best grip youll ever find!!!!!!!!!!

These are grippy I'll agree with you on that but if you dont have any shin protection they will be eaten alive

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Another vote for Easton fat boy, i have had easton for over one year now and they are still as strong as the day i got them.

mtbr member
    Ive been riding my Sun Ringle ZuZu's for almost three years now. Just dont be stupid and neglect maintenance and theyll go forever. They are super grippy and they feel like they engulf your foot. Theyll eat the sh!t out of your shins if you are not careful though, Its an eve trade though. Ive always wanted some Syncros Mental pedals though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Best platform pedals = Atomlab Aircorp. The Tioga MX pedals are also very nice.

Atomlabs:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2585&category=

5.10 shoes are also an important part of the equation, but with 5.10s and Aircorps, you will have an unbeatable combo.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Udrija
    These are grippy I'll agree with you on that but if you dont have any shin protection they will be eaten alive
    If you are riding flats with pins & no shin protection it's your gamble, they are all waiting to shread skin & we all have the scars to prove it.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    i have Funn soljam vipers on my bike and i love them. the platform on these pedals is huge, it has this super grippy sandpaper/griptape stuff in the middle of the pedal, and the pins are shin killers, and the whole pedal has a nice concave to it. you cant go wrong with these babies. but be aware if you dont land right you can kiss your shin skin good bye!

mtbr member
    I'm liking my 50/50's at the moment- although I added a couple extra pins>more grip than the Truvativ's. I also dig that I can replace the pedal body ends if I bash /em on a rock. I've always liked the oldschool feel of the Shimano DX with their nice, concave platform .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the Mental pedals and they really kick ass. They grip like none other, even with worn out skate shoes, and are indestructable.

Reviewer/Tester
    I have been using Azonic A Frames for quite a while without any problems...nice strong pedals. I recently purchased and fitted a set of Crank Bros 5050XX's to my second bike and they seem to be solid pedals too.

I have bashed the cra4p outta the A Frames and they are still fine. I hope that the Crank Bros last as long.

Just make sure that whatever you buy they have proper bearings in both sides of the pedal.

Bearings are replaceable and you can extend the life of a good set of pedals for quite a long time with a set of new bearings from Enduro.

As far as pins go, it's better to have the type that screw out from underneath. That way you can remove them even if they get smashed tops. One of the reasons I purchased the Crank Bros..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Glad to Be Alive
    the sealed bearing kona Jact Schict are nice too....wider then most pedals if you have big feet
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    If you are riding flats with pins & no shin protection it's your gamble, they are all waiting to shread skin & we all have the scars to prove it.
    Mine are ALL on my left (leading leg). Not sure why it works out like that.

Freeriding Feline

Dmr

I just went w/ some DMR V12 Mags. Really nice. Tough to get. I waited a month for them to re-stock and it looks like they're out again.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=484
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i have some easton flat boys i would sell to you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you choose the 50/50 pedals make sure you get them with the extra long studs. The standard ones aren't grippy enough. I attempted to replace mine but the allen screws to disassemble them were loctite'd and stripped so it became a mess. I sent them to Crank Bros. and they fixed them up nice with long studs but now I'm already riding the Tiogas. Definately an awesome purchase and the Atomlabs are excellent too.

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I have been using Azonic A Frames for quite a while without any problems...nice strong pedals. I recently purchased and fitted a set of Crank Bros 5050XX's to my second bike and they seem to be solid pedals too.

I have bashed the cra4p outta the A Frames and they are still fine. I hope that the Crank Bros last as long.

Just make sure that whatever you buy they have proper bearings in both sides of the pedal.

Bearings are replaceable and you can extend the life of a good set of pedals for quite a long time with a set of new bearings from Enduro.

As far as pins go, it's better to have the type that screw out from underneath. That way you can remove them even if they get smashed tops. One of the reasons I purchased the Crank Bros..

R.
    How do the crank brothers feel compared to the a-frames? I had the a-frames and loved the heck outa them (until I accidently drilled a hole through the axle: I'm such a great mechanic ). Do the crank brothers grip as well as them? Do they spin when your feet are off? How big is the platform compared to the azonics?

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Haro Fr pedals

mtbr member
    I just ordered a set of Specialized lo pro mag pedals (gold) , they look sweet and i have heard good things about them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think the 50/50 pedals suck ass. They are convex, which is the opposite of what you would want in a set of pedals.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Mine are ALL on my left (leading leg). Not sure why it works out like that.
    Because when your right foot falls off, your left foot pushes the other pedel into the back of your right leg, not your shin, and that's usally a miss anyways (for me atleast)... assuming you ride your leading foot foward the majorty of the time.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    I think the 50/50 pedals suck ass. They are convex, which is the opposite of what you would want in a set of pedals.

I dunno about that,my friends love's his and hes just won his first race too,loads of grip and smooth,

Im a V12-A-frame fan (sounds like im building a car with a A-frame and a V12 Engine lol)

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    sun ringlé zuzu pedals = inexpensive and decent quality.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I agree with Matt....a good platform pedal needs to be concave. Maybe you should consider THE original platform pedal, that all these pedals were designed after, Shimano DX.

PiL
    I steal your mail.
    another vote for the flatboys.
    Is this where I type my signature?

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Small jump in back yard = Free
    Just riding around in flip-flops and no shin pads = Free
    Shins scarred for life for blowing said jump in backyard = Priceless

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    sun ringlé zuzu pedals = inexpensive and decent quality.
    Not worth it when you hit a rock and they explode.....stay away.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'll throw a vote down for the Specialized Low Pro Mag... for trailriding they are the best pedal that I've ever ridden.... the only other pedal that I really like are the Syncros Mentals, but I only use them on my street bike, I think they are a little too heavy for my trail bike.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Udrija
    interstingly neough i have the chromo mental pedals they have neither insane grip (i wear 510's) and i dont even need to wear shin guards with them.

mtbr member
    been running wellgo mags for a few months now and i'm happy with them so far

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    I second those, lightweight and cheap although not in same category as aframes, eastons, etc. I run the wellgo mags on my trail bike and have been very happy with them. I run aframes on my DH rig.

mtbr member
    i have the specialized lo-pro pedals
    they're pretty sweet, but not the grippiest..

i use them on my DJ bike so i can get my feet off for tricks and stuff

i took the 5 pins in the middle out and raised the remaining (outer) pins to their heighest length, which helps for more grip, but i'd still go with something grippier for DH

i'd like to try the eastons and the syncros

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Not worth it when you hit a rock and they explode.....stay away.....
    Hmm, I'll stick with them. My current two pairs have lasted nearly a year. In comparison with the special-ed lopro mags that lasted about two weeks and my NC17 STD IIs that lasted about two months the sun pedals are doing well. That said, I can't remember the last time I saw a rock garden....
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i rock the easton cullys and they are pretty bad ass, no bent axles yet and only one lost pin in over a year. typically pedals last me about 3 months.....
    i have blown 3 of those pedals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

40 oz to freedom
    Odyessy Jim C pedals. I have them and they kick ass, awesome pedals will grip almost anything (including your shins )

mtbr member
    easton flat boys rule. also tioga mx-pros or whatever are very nice if you have the allen head pins. if you want cheaper, lots of people like the animal hamilton BMX pedal.

Going for a ride......
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKat7
    I just went w/ some DMR V12 Mags. Really nice. Tough to get. I waited a month for them to re-stock and it looks like they're out again.

I got a set from www.speedgoat.com at what I thought was a great price (compared to what they sell for here in Australia anyways). Around $69US plus postage - set me back $120Au all up - I would have had to pay around $190 locally.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    Wellgo MG-52's.
    Cheap, magnesium body, cromo axle, concave, very slim, comfy, great grip and super light.
    Or... spend 3 times as much on Gusset SlimJim's... same pedal.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Eastons or Speedpllay Drillium with Five Ten shoes. Can't go wrong.

Bum Buzzer
    A Frames or Flat Boys (or Cullys)

Tons of other good pedals, but these boys got it covered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I believe that the Funn Soljam Vipers have been mentioned and I couldn't agree more.I have a set on my hardtail and the fully,awesome pedals,can't hurt them,but they can hurt you.

moaaar shimz
    I wear the wellgo MG-29 and they are tha shitzzzzz, tons of grip and I usually bang them real hard against rocks and they hold up fine..

Adrenaline Junkie
    Oct 2006
    Another vote for truvativ hollz...and the 5.10 impacts. Like glue...

keystone addict
    hmm, I think I'm gonna spring for a pair of syncros mentals. I found a pair for really cheap. They were like my dream pedals, and I thought they would be way to expensive for me, but I found a pair for $99. they look hella tight. can't wait.

mtbr member
    Anyways, which ones do you guys ride
    DMR v12
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    personally, i didn't like the way my foot sat on them, or the traction, combine that with the heavy weight and large price...
    That is what makes the world go round tho... different strokes for different folks.
    My bike, Slayer 70

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by xKREDx
    DMR v12
    Best allrounder's i say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial
    Best allrounder's i say.
    me too
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    this forum is gay
    Signatures are for losers

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    this forum is gay

sorry to waste your time

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    this forum is gay

Thats why your on here init

Nice 600 post for me.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Crankies...

How do the crank brothers feel compared to the a-frames? I had the a-frames and loved the heck outa them (until I accidently drilled a hole through the axle: I'm such a great mechanic ). Do the crank brothers grip as well as them? Do they spin when your feet are off? How big is the platform compared to the azonics?
    The Crank Bros 5050XX's are a nice pedal. The BIG thing that they have over the Azonic A Frames's is the grease port on the end of the pedals.

You can just pump grease into them and keep everything nice and smooth...something that you can't do with the Azonics unless you first remove them and take them apart...*if* you have the right small socket that will fit the nut...

The grip on the Crank Bros is a *fraction* less [a gnat fart] than the grip on the A Frames, both using the large pins. However, if you are wearing 5-10 Impact shoes [and you should be with platforms] then the difference is taken up by the shoes, as they are super-sticky..

Both of these platform pedals are around the same size, with the A Frames being a little smaller.

So far I like the Crank bros, I have already bashed them into a few rocks leaving gouges in the alloy, and rammed them against logs but with no effect to the action of the pedal or the pins ...so they seem to be plenty tough.

They don't spin when your foot is off which is good and if you keep the grease up to them I expect them to last a long time. You can replace pins and plates .... and you get a spare set of plates in the box with the new pedals.. which makes it a pretty good deal..

A year or two of hard use will tell the real story on them though.

No complaints so far....

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester

No good DMR... nope..

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKat7

Sorry to tell ya this...but DMR Mags are JUNK !

No, the pedals are nice, but the bearings and seals...bleahhhhh...

They only have ONE bearing in the pedal...the other side is a really crappy little bush...flimsy..and weak.

I totalled both my sets in a matter of a few months...the bushing failed on both sets of pedals..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Mountain Biker
    Funn Viper Slojom.... The Best.....grip Tape In The Middle....
    Be at the Rio on June 12th at 7:00pm!

Premier of Sonar!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I can't believe nobody's said Shimano DX's

Long time favorite on the DH circuit due to their minimal weight. I know a few guys that run them.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    Hmm, I'll stick with them. My current two pairs have lasted nearly a year. In comparison with the special-ed lopro mags that lasted about two weeks and my NC17 STD IIs that lasted about two months the sun pedals are doing well. That said, I can't remember the last time I saw a rock garden....
    You know it's funny, pedals seem to be as personal a preferance as grips and seats, the three 'contact' points on a bike.

My experience with the sun-ringles is the leading 'bar' broke off, the entire width of the pedal on a DH run and I didn't even realize it until I got to the bottom. Never had that happen with any other pedal. Several friends of mine have had similar problems with the SR's. Northstar (Tahoe) is veeeery rocky and tough on pedals. I've had good luck with azonic a-frames.

Bum Buzzer
    Crank Bros suck azzzmagnets... MUST put the real pins in because the nubs are greased lightning...

Nowhere near the grip of a-frames - LUDICROUS.

A toy pedal.

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Sorry to tell ya this...but DMR Mags are JUNK !

No, the pedals are nice, but the bearings and seals...bleahhhhh...

They only have ONE bearing in the pedal...the other side is a really crappy little bush...flimsy..and weak.

I totalled both my sets in a matter of a few months...the bushing failed on both sets of pedals..

R.

I dont know what ones your using but ive been using my DMRV12 none mage's for 2 and a half years and have only changed the bearings once,my mate's use them too and dont have problems like this,helps to be a smooth rider or maybe you got a pair which where faulty.

Still a child inside...

wellgo magnesium

they are really light and cool...

mtbr member
    I used to run a $25 pair of wellgos for about a year.I never maintained them at all, and they eventually gave out but for 25 bucks its not bad. Mixed with 5.10s they worked great for all kinds of riding. I finally replaced them with a pair of Xpedo Mags, which are top notch so far.

I've had two pairs of A-Frames fail on me in less than a month. I still ride on the second pair on my hardtail, they still work, but you can just hear the left pedal tearing itself apart from the inside. The grip is definitely good enough, and thats not just the 5.10s talking, I mostly ride on those new nike skate shoes, which are very different.
    I don't like that my midrange A-Frames lasted remarkebly shorter than some bargain basement stuff. It was obvioulsy a bad production run, but I'm not about to go that road again. Its about time I get new pedals, and I am keeping my eyes open.

No Fear!
    New couler

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial
    I dont know what ones your using but ive been using my DMRV12 none mage's for 2 and a half years and have only changed the bearings once,my mate's use them too and dont have problems like this,helps to be a smooth rider or maybe you got a pair which where faulty.
    Faulty? I don't think so.

I sourced two sets of the DMR v's from two different suppliers.

Both sets failed. Both sets had the crappy bush and the totally inadequate seals let dirt and grit into the bush..which resulted in failure.

They would be good pedals with two bearings and a good set of seals, but as it stands now...

Both my sets of pedals developed play in the bushings and "wobbled" on the spindles after a few months of use because of the flimsy seals and bushing.

I'm a bike mechanic.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

moaaar shimz
    Shinburgers

No shinguard = mayhem..

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    interstingly neough i have the chromo mental pedals they have neither insane grip (i wear 510's) and i dont even need to wear shin guards with them.
    The chromo ones are the cheap ones with molded pins. And molded pins straight out suck.

Meh.
    hmm, I think I'm gonna spring for a pair of syncros mentals. I found a pair for really cheap. They were like my dream pedals, and I thought they would be way to expensive for me, but I found a pair for $99. they look hella tight. can't wait.
    Make sure you get the one with replaceable pins, not the molded ones.

Holzfellers get mixed reviews. I hated the Hussefelts because of the molded pins. The Holzfellers. Eh. They were decent. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on them. I did like the low profile. The DMRs feel good, but reliability has been a problem. I'd love to get my hands on a set of Speedplay Drilliums. I don't like the shape of the 50/50s. The DX are super nice.

My Kona Jackshits have been going for 3 years now. Still good. I think I may get a set of Animal Hamiltons to replace them though.

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Shinburgers

No shinguard = mayhem..
    I think there were meant to be called Shingrinders,i dont know where they got the burger from,dont look like a burger but your shin soon will with out shin gurads

Members who have read this thread: 0