Planning my DH vacation.... Need ideas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Planning my DH vacation.... Need ideas

Im starting to plan a summer vacation based on hitting a number of lift access DH trails within driving distance. I live in Cleveland and plan on spending a week or so on the road. We will likely skip 7 springs based on the fact that we ride there a few times a year anyway and want to try some new spots. Snow shoe will be part of the trip for sure, as will Wisp since its somewhat near snow shoe.

Any ideas for other stops? We are thinking about Timberline four seasons resort in WV, but i'm not sure how good it is. We were there in 2008 and did some hiking, but I dont recall any real DH biking in the area. Anyone know if its worth a stop? Other places in the general area worth a stop? Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

mtbr member
    Ok, Now I am interested in Plattekill Mountain. Anyone have any information on the trails there?

Arf, he said.
    You should give serious thought to heading north to hit Highland in NH.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Plattekill is fantastic, one of my favourite resorts to ride at.

I'd say you should drive across and hit Mountain Creek, Plattekill, Whiteface, Kingdom Trails and Highland.

Lift Served DH Mountain Bike Spots - Google Maps
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    If you're planning on heading south... Timberline is a must! My Timberline channel on PinkBike:

Timberline-Bike-Park Video Channel by videoZinger > Twisted Sister; Full On; RG; Gnarnia - Pinkbike

Bryce Resort in Virginia is opening a lift-assist DH park this year. Windrock in Tennessee is also a great spot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The northeast has a ton of great venues. Plattekill, Mtn Creek, Whiteface, Jiminy, Bromont, Highland, also Sunday River, Attitash, and Killington.

In the summer, Mtn Creek, Whiteface, Bromont and Highland are open during the week. Plattekill, Highland, and Bromont are "must-hits", Jiminy is near and dear to my heart too. I like whiteface, but you get about 8 runs in on the same trails, usually.

It would be easy to plan a great trip up here with a week of driving and riding. I'm hoping to plan something involving whiteface and bromont this year, as I don't get to those often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    The northeast has a ton of great venues. Plattekill, Mtn Creek, Whiteface, Jiminy, Bromont, Highland, also Sunday River, Attitash, and Killington.

In the summer, Mtn Creek, Whiteface, Bromont and Highland are open during the week. Plattekill, Highland, and Bromont are "must-hits", Jiminy is near and dear to my heart too. I like whiteface, but you get about 8 runs in on the same trails, usually.

It would be easy to plan a great trip up here with a week of driving and riding. I'm hoping to plan something involving whiteface and bromont this year, as I don't get to those often.

You brought up a good point that I didnt think of. Im going to have to pay attention to what parks are open on weekdays and not just weekends.

Lots of great ideas for me to think about. I was hoping to head south and keep the driving to a minimum and spend the most time riding, but heading up to the north east is sounding pretty good right now. Lots to think about

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Ha View Post
    If you're planning on heading south... Timberline is a must! My Timberline channel on PinkBike:

Timberline-Bike-Park Video Channel by videoZinger > Twisted Sister; Full On; RG; Gnarnia - Pinkbike

Bryce Resort in Virginia is opening a lift-assist DH park this year. Windrock in Tennessee is also a great spot.
    Nice videos. I would like to make timberline a destination because I went on my honeymoon there. That should keep the wife happy. I would assume its only open on weekends?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdawgJeff View Post
    You should give serious thought to heading north to hit Highland in NH.

+1 on this, you should definitely visit Highland as well. I had a great time there 2 years ago..
    Last edited by Max24; 03-09-2015 at 11:41 PM.

9 lives
    Mont Sainte Anne, Quebec (my fav... we go every year).

Mont-Sainte-Anne - Summer | Welcome
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Mont Sainte Anne, Quebec (my fav... we go every year).

Mont-Sainte-Anne - Summer | Welcome
    i second that... gondola is pretty fast up the hill...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    You brought up a good point that I didnt think of. Im going to have to pay attention to what parks are open on weekdays and not just weekends.

Lots of great ideas for me to think about. I was hoping to head south and keep the driving to a minimum and spend the most time riding, but heading up to the north east is sounding pretty good right now. Lots to think about
    Definitely. I think road trips in the NE are a great idea, but if you have a park you love, you can spend a lot of time in one spot. It's hard to mix both.

One other suggestion, Burke Mountain in East Burke is a really good time albeit not in the league of Plattekill et al. They have two trails worth riding, but my goodness they are fun. The park is also right next to the Kingdom trails, so if you can afford the space for an XC bike, it might be worth a stop over to ride some sweet sweet singletrack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you decide to visit the North East, I recomend asking about what roads to avoid at what times of day. Ive spent 8 hours driving from MtCreek to Highland on a Friday nite at rush hour. I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

Heres whats being suggested:

Plattekill - The roots of East Coast DH, lots of character and history here. The runs are as 'natural' as can be with very little BS knee high ramps to ride off. Imagine having and needing a Karpiel Armagedon and actually finding a place to ride it. It would be plattekill.

Highland - The new meca for east coast dh. Lots of big names visiting the place. Massive effort to be the east coasts finest destination, and very well may be. Often compared to whistler. Sells micro beers in lodge(kinda cool).

Mountain creek - Tons of trails, tons of stunts, lots of little sh1theads running around and having fun on their bikes. A 'dont miss' in my book, but different from the above two parks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Friday night at rush hour? You probably would have come right through NYC, and up 95 (nuts) or up 84 to the thruway (less nuts but miserable). If I were to make that trip, I would have headed up 87 to the thruway, then 495 to 93. Certainly not going to be the smoothest trip, and would probably not be the shortest, but less traffic equals happier driver, for me at least.

One other note: Highland is an awesome place that's worth a visit but it's not DH. It's a collection of A-line style trails that are generally well built and occasionally well maintained. The lift is slow and the lines are long, and there's almost no natural trails (or good ones, rather: Threshold is an unending barrage of highly technical sections, and maiden is perhaps the worst trail I've ridden). It's best on a six inch bike with a dirt jumper in tow. It's a fantastic place to ride but calling it the new mecca of east coast DH is like calling the Amtrak between NY and Boston the "high speed rail". Go early in the season, avoid the old trails, enjoy the free snack mix in the lodge. Also wear bug spray.