Ping Zedro and Shiva Owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ping Zedro and Shiva Owners

I just read the Shiver guide with the trivia about reducing the travel. My goal in reducing the travel is to prevent the tire from hitting the bottom crown. All I need is like 9mm or 10mm. This should be cheaper than buying a drop crown.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=14579

Can you or someone else elaborate more on the travel reduction? If I could reduce the travel by 9mm without reducing the A/C ride height I could use the 2.7" Kenda and not have to get the drop crown. I am assuming I could ghetto fabricate something like PVC from Home Depot? The important thing is that this mod would make my fork bottom sooner so the tire doesn't hit the bottom crown. I.e. the fork height/measurement at full extension is the same regardless of the travel change mod. Is this how it would work?

Please any pics or ideas! Thanks for the help guys!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    To change the travel of a marzocchi that has a closed cartridge (where the negative spring is internal to the non-servicable cartridge) you must cut it open with a hacksaw like I did. Next, place a spacer of the desired length past the negative spring. Now comes the tricky part. You are going to need some good epoxy or someone who can weld aluminum to put the damper rod and cartridge back together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    To change the travel of a marzocchi that has a closed cartridge (where the negative spring is internal to the non-servicable cartridge) you must cut it open with a hacksaw like I did. Next, place a spacer of the desired length past the negative spring. Now comes the tricky part. You are going to need some good epoxy or someone who can weld aluminum to put the damper rod and cartridge back together.
    I thought Zedro wad talking about putting spacers under the top cap and that would limit it. Ya I know what you are talking about but your solution would lower the ride height. That is not something I want to do.

Anyone know can you just add spacers under the top cap? I only need to take away about 10mm of travel so I can run my big tire and it won't hit the lower crown.

Glad to Be Alive
    do you have a picture of your set up on your bike....seams that if you loosen your crown bolts and push the tubes dow a little you should have no problem. I run 2.8 michelins with mine without hitting the tire
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    do you have a picture of your set up on your bike....seams that if you loosen your crown bolts and push the tubes dow a little you should have no problem. I run 2.8 michelins with mine without hitting the tire
    I didn't have this problem with 2.5 Maxxis tires but with the big 2.7 Kenda Nevegals I do. It really is like a 3" tire. I can't slide the legs any farther down. The Kenda actually measures 28"!!! The 2.5 Kenda Nevagal is 27". I am only short anout 10mm. Yes I could switch the front out for a 2.5 OR get a drop crown. I am trying to keep the 2.7 tire and not spend any money. Heck 10mm of travel ain't gonna matter anyway.

Does anyone know if the spacers will work?

See here for pics....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=104635

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis
    I thought Zedro wad talking about putting spacers under the top cap and that would limit it. Ya I know what you are talking about but your solution would lower the ride height. That is not something I want to do.

Anyone know can you just add spacers under the top cap? I only need to take away about 10mm of travel so I can run my big tire and it won't hit the lower crown.
    That's like adding preload, and it will probably mess up the spring (because it will be binding).
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    That's like adding preload, and it will probably mess up the spring (because it will be binding).
    No I think Zedro means to put spacers between the top cap and the top of the silver preload adjuster not under the adjuster.

Does anyone know for sure?

I have the fork apart and it looks like the former is true and seems logical just want to make sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I read this in some other thread. The shiver bottoms out when the stanchions hit the top caps. So, to prevent the fork from going through that extra 10MM of travel, attach some 10mm metal spacers to the bottom side of the top caps.
    pay me

Glad to Be Alive
    axis your pictures baffle me, so do this.....you might have sag in your springs already which you ain't deducting.

measure how much the fork will go untill bottoming out on the stanction about a 1/4 inch before the end. If that measurement is greater than crown to tire than you are ok. I run the 2.8 michelin and that is a big tire and it works
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    I read this in some other thread. The shiver bottoms out when the stanchions hit the top caps. So, to prevent the fork from going through that extra 10MM of travel, attach some 10mm metal spacers to the bottom side of the top caps.
    yup, thats exactly it. Some headset spacers work, just make sure they dont slide down (ie. nice and tight with the outer tubes) and dont interfere with the cart/spring assembly
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0