pike on a SXT- Mtbr.com

Thread: pike on a SXT

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007

pike on a SXT

Has anyone run a pike on the front of a SX trail? Or, does anyone know what eye to eye on a DHX air I would have to use to get the optimum head angle?

Bike Ninja |||
    How about you put a Pike on a normal SX.... that's the frame that was designed around the pike.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFR
    Has anyone run a pike on the front of a SX trail? Or, does anyone know what eye to eye on a DHX air I would have to use to get the optimum head angle?
    What is the optimum head angle?

P

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    How about you put a Pike on a normal SX.... that's the frame that was designed around the pike.
    Because I have a SXtrail.

Head angle would be 69deg in the high BB setting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    prolly like 67deg, bu why do you want a pike on it? why not a lyric of totem if you want to go with RS

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Or a domain.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    it wont break anything, but its gonna make the bike ride like crap. Not quite enough travel in the front to do rocky gnar drops, and too much travel in the rear to be a good DJ/DS/4X. sounds like the worst of both worlds, but i guess a pike on a v10 would be even worse, so go for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah dont know how i forgot the domain

The Beaver
    I would go with something a little more beefy on the SXT (the pike will hold up, but it's a smaller fork, tire clearence etc.)
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I have a 66 and a dhx on it now. I wnated to be able to change out the shock and fork so I can get a more 4x/allmountain feel out of the bike. The reson for this is because I am moving Downtown ATL and I wont have room for a bunch of bikes. I need to sell a couple and have one or two that will do everything. If I can switch out components I get 2 in 1.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    where are you located now?

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Suburbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    get a talas. it'll feel great, and you can drop it when you need to. Or a lyric 2 step or marz 66 ata.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I was wondering about the I2I on a dhx air because I already have a pike. And yes a Talas 36 would be the Sh!t, but $ is an issue. I can get a DHX prety cheap and I dont mind switching parts every now and then. I have seen SXTs with pikes on them before, the only dif was they were using the shock shutle from a SX and were running a regular air (rp3) shock. I cant get that part and have to use a short DHXair to match the shorter fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I2I for the SXT is 9x2.75. The Pike is a sweet fork, but I wouldn't run it on the SXT just because of the steep HA.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Nvrmnd. I have to get a diferent shock shuttle.

mtbr member
    I would think a Pike would be too short for an SXT. I have an SX with a pike and tend to run it 110mm.

A friend has a SXT with 170mm 66 and want to lighten the bike up for our down under off season and is considering a Lyric. To my mind its a good choice with the SXT.

Of course you could try a shorter I2I / stroke shock to reduce the travel, but keep the angles good for a shorter fork. But that raises the whole linkage clearance issue with the seat tube 'yoke'.
    Extracting stings from wasps in flight.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sdtmtb
    Of course you could try a shorter I2I / stroke shock to reduce the travel, but keep the angles good for a shorter fork. But that raises the whole linkage clearance issue with the seat tube 'yoke'.
    Exactly. The problem is no one makes the I2I and stroke combanation needed for this aplication. I need a shock shuttle off of a SX and run a monarch or RP3. I said it before in this thread, I have seen a SXT with a pike, but they were running a RP3 on the rear. Basicly what I am trying to do is turn my SXT in to a SX when I want. Oh well, gues I will hit up a machine shop.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwehahaha
    I would go with something a little more beefy on the SXT (the pike will hold up, but it's a smaller fork, tire clearence etc.)
    Still clears up to like a 2.7.

I've had an Arrow Racing 2.75 and Nokian 2.6 and Maxxis DHR 2.7 and Marzocchi 2.6 (at different times) in there with plenty of room. 2.4 Big Bettys have lots of room. So do the 2.5 Nevegals and 2.6 Kinetics.

Tire clearance is not an issue.

Members who have read this thread: 0