pics of homemade bike additions?- Mtbr.com
    fabricator

pics of homemade bike additions?

Over the winter I had a lot of time to tinker, no work and a good excuse to get away from the kids

let's see some other
    homemade parts!

1)Here is the sandwich approach to making a disc brake adapter for a 4 bolt GT hub:basic two washers milled out to fit the bolt pattern and the rotor pattern for a tight fit.

2) Old school block of 6061 to fit hayes 22mm mount on IS frame .
    3) trick dual rate spring...nothing like a power grinder to really make sparks fly.
    4) prototype link plate for my friend's Kona Bear maybe he will get 4.5" and 5.6" now hopefully we can test it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's not bad.
    Last year I made a bash guard for my AC1. I was proud for a while.
    Now I have an MRP.
    Soap

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ieatsoap
    Last year I made a bash guard for my AC1. I was proud for a while.
    Now I have an MRP.
    That looks sweet. What happened to it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    When I was broke and job less I used to make all kinds of parts at the adult school. "Later on I'll try and get pictures" Its good fun making your own stuff. These pictures are motivating me to get back out there. Some of those parts look really good, there giving me ideas.

It's not bad.
    Nothing happened to it. Just changed it out so I could run a bigger ring. This setup was for a 36T maximum. I wanted a 39T.
    Sitting on the work bench collecting dust now.
    Soap

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I haven't made any bike parts yet, but I did make a bike tool... see here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=1974

Currenlty working on a disc brake tab facing tool now..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

a little more than just parts

something else i made a few years ago along with a few buddies

from the east

Simple chainguide.

Not very DH, but plenty to keep the chain on...for all the stuff I do, anyhow.

6061 and polycarbonate.

I LOVE the old-school L hunk brake mount, btw.

from the east

oof....sorry

didn't know that first pic was so big.

eric.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    ieatsoap,

that's the sort of thing that makes me want to weld ISCG tabs onto my old Le Toy.

good work!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle Rider
    didn't know that first pic was so big.

eric.
    wow, that's nice! i really like the polycarbonate plate. i don't know much about them. where do you get your stock, how did you make it into that shape?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have made a few things here and there

888 crown sneek peek. The wait is almost over.... For those waiting sorry for taking forever, they had to be perfect. Almost ready for anodizing and will be available at Go-Ride next week. The others are some other bike stuff I have made over the past few years.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy
    When I was broke and job less I used to make all kinds of parts at the adult school. "Later on I'll try and get pictures" Its good fun making your own stuff. These pictures are motivating me to get back out there. Some of those parts look really good, there giving me ideas.
    word!!!

mark made some cool a$$ parts
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 03-08-2004 at 04:39 PM.

from the east

Biandon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Biandon
    wow, that's nice! i really like the polycarbonate plate. i don't know much about them. where do you get your stock, how did you make it into that shape?
    Hi there,
    Thanks for asking....
    Both the aluminum and the polycarbonate (or Lexan, or bulletproof glass...same as E-13 bashguard) were scrap from other projects...Here in NYC, either can be picked up easily at a number of places. There are also tons of online materials retailers (SmallParts, OnlineMetals) that can sell you small quantities, for super reasonable prices. (2 bucks or less for a square foot of 1/8th inch Lexan.)

I made the thing in the woodshop where I work, using woodworking tools like a router, bandsaw, drillpress, files, etc....Most power tool will work just as well on aluminum or plastic as they do on wood. The bend in the plate was just bent with one half clamped in a vise....Polycarbonate can be cold-formed, as if it were metal, pretty neat.

That Tandem-recumbent-trike looks like a blast to ride. rock on.
    eric.

livin' a lie--TIMMY!!!
    Damn those are some kickin ass pedals!!!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriority
    888 crown sneek peek. The wait is almost over.... For those waiting sorry for taking forever, they had to be perfect. Almost ready for anodizing and will be available at Go-Ride next week. The others are some other bike stuff I have made over the past few years.
    MOriority, do you know how much it would cost you to make some bighit upgrade links? I know someone and myself who would be interested if you could make something like that at a good price. Let me know, e-mail me at [email protected]
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok so I finally got around to taking some pictures of the stuff I've made over the last year or so.

This one is a link I had to make after breaking the original rear end on my uzzi sl and only being able to find a Uzzi dh rear for a replacement. I put two cross sections through it in a attempt to make it stiffer. It came out pretty good without any major screw ups.

The bike lasted about 3 monthes with the new link then the bottom bracket failed and there was nothing I could to fix it so I had to move on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Heres a jig I made to fix my Fly's ovalized head tube. The bottom piece just clamps down to the mill table, then you Idicate off it, use the top part to clamp the frame to the piece and your ready to bor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    And heres the new lower head cup to accomadate the bigger bore. Its made from a piece of 7075 aluminum and presses over an inch up into the frame.

Tip of the day 7075 is not only stronger that 6061 but is also much easier to get a good finish on than 6061 and can be had at the scrap yard for about a dallar a pound.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    last picture didnt work so I'm trying it again

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Last one. This is a brake mount I had to make since Foes doesn't make one that will work with any other caliper than Hayes for this model Fly. Since I allready had a set of Hopes waiting I just made my own. Finding the right hole spacing so things would'nt bind up was a pain in the ass. I had to use a number 3 caliper with a eight inch rotor to finally give enough to clearance to make it work.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy
    And heres the new lower head cup to accomadate the bigger bore. Its made from a piece of 7075 aluminum and presses over an inch up into the frame.

Tip of the day 7075 is not only stronger that 6061 but is also much easier to get a good finish on than 6061 and can be had at the scrap yard for about a dallar a pound.
    cool stuff...

...and a dollar a pound!!! geez plate and bar cost me about 13-18$cnd around here!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    cool stuff...

...and a dollar a pound!!! geez plate and bar cost me about 13-18$cnd around here!!!
    Yeah I would of never considered it before because its to expensive. So I was thrilled to find out that the scrap metal yard acually sorts thier aluminum and sells it all at the same price.