Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!

Visited the CR1 shop today to hopefully catch the assembly, but got there a little late to see the guts. Should be picking her up tomorrow morning to get some pedal strokes in before the Fontana/Southridge race this weekend. Super stoked!!!

I snapped some pictures of the bins full of trick machined parts, and the bare 888 topcaps and bottom shaft nuts. This should be the first CR1 888 cartridge on a bike, and I'm really excited to get some true valving in this thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!-888cart6.jpg  

Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!-888cart7.jpg  

Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!-888cart5.jpg  

Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!-888cart4.jpg  

Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!-888cart3.jpg  

Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!-888cart2.jpg  

Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!-888cart1.jpg  

Bend, Oregon

Professional Troll
    That does look pretty. Is it still a sealed bladder design? What's the final retail costs on it? Last time I talked to those guys about it they were saying ~$500 or so.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Will expect a full report!

I'm wanting an Avy cartridge for my '08/'10 888. Alas, the tax return gods are not kind to me this year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    That does look pretty. Is it still a sealed bladder design? What's the final retail costs on it? Last time I talked to those guys about it they were saying ~$500 or so.
    No bladder, but it is a nitrogen charged IFP setup. I had seen the internals of the Boxxer version a couple months ago.

I'm $500 in so far, but I haven't squared up yet as my 06' 888 is the dual spring version, needing to be converted over. I'm thinking $600 by the time the fork is ready to ride, but we'll see. I'll let you guys know the outcome. Ride report for sure!!
    Bend, Oregon

I bike long tyme.
    Those look like the "impossible to buy/replace" red 888 compression knobs that always get lost! Too bad they don't appear to have the same machining on them to accommodate a 2006 RC2X.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Secace
    Those look like the "impossible to buy/replace" red 888 compression knobs that always get lost!
    Loctite? Shouldn't have a problem after that.

mtbr member

Update

STOKED! Got a chance to get a ride in today on a very familiar trail so I could do a fair assessment. We also decided to experiment with the Marzocchi air cartridge instead of a spring, just to see how the new dampener cartridge would compliment it. Sure did save a TON of weight.

PROS.
    There is a huge improvement in pedaling, as the front end is not loose anymore in the first couple inches of stroke. This also keeps the front end more consistent in turns, increasing confidence and control. My front end started to push a little in one turn and the front end stayed flat and controlled the drift. Before the front end would have been bobbing changing the head angle and contact force, screwing up control. Mid turn control is way better now also, as the front end absorbs whats needed only, instead of bobbing into every dip/rise.

Hydraulic bottom out is seamless, but does not limit travel. Just firm enough at the end of the stroke to know you bottomed, but no metal-to-metal.

Big square edge hits/rocks are soaked up like they are not even there. Massive internal blow-blow off once needed.

CONS.
    Well just one so far... Now that the low speed compression plays a big part in making the valving more usable, the tiny bumps are felt a little more through the bars. That BUTTER zone in the factory Marzocchi oil bath setup did help the tire plow and grab a bit better on side edges and stuff. Kinda like bumping up the tire pressure about 5psi. This is the price I am willing to pay, for every other aspect so far being an improvement. Now I can get up on the bars and CRANK! Before it was a wolllowing mess.

I'll be at the Fontana Southridge race all weekend, racing # 230G if anyone wants to slam some curbs or something lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!-888cart8.jpg  

Picking up my CR1 Engineering 888 Cartridge fork tomorrow!-888cart9.jpg  

Last edited by thuren; 02-19-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    Bend, Oregon

bike rider
    Looks like your stantions are different heights in the upper crown.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Looks like your stantions are different heights in the upper crown.

Good eye!

They are right now, as the CR1 cartridge side has a bigger range of motion, so I am testing to see where I like the hydraulic bumpstop to engage.
    Bend, Oregon

Glad to Be Alive
    nice write up...hopefully it continues to work great
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Out of curiosity have any of you ridden the Avalanche 888 kit? I'm trying to decide between the cheaper avalanche kit or this sweet looking CR1 kit...

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren
    Good eye!

They are right now, as the CR1 cartridge side has a bigger range of motion, so I am testing to see where I like the hydraulic bumpstop to engage.
    Interesting idea for playing with the bottom out feature of the damper.

My '08 888ATA is the same, damper side has more travel. I assumed that the fork needs the support of both sides bottoming together so I run the legs at equal height.
    Keep the Country country.

Members who have read this thread: 0