picked up an sgs pro today... got some questions:- Mtbr.com
    wheeeee!!!

... and if we just ... picked up an sgs pro today... got some questions:

Finally gave in to temptation and picked up an 03 sgs pro on sale at superslo. It's an amazing deal. I know some on the board have dissed them, and some of you have them.

So for those that have them, I've got some questions:

1. How do i remove the rear wheel? I assume I use a hex wrench and a box end wrench. But I don't wanna mess it up.
    2. These tires are huge, are there dh tubes under there?
    3. how do you have the fith element set up? I've seen one of the product managers recommend some settings, but what are you using?

Thanks,
    Eric.

large member
    Yeah, use an 8mm wrench and a big open end or adj. wrench, unscrew the nut and pull the axle straight out. On mine (sgs team w/ Ringle hub) the hub bearing cap/spacer will fall out without the axle holding it in; I dunno if the Formula hub has a removable bearing cap like that.

I don't know if there are DH tubes in there but I'd guess there are.

Use Todd's suggestions re: 5th setup, his advice is very good. Most people run the beg/end stroke compression knobs fully out on DH bikes. If you want to turn up the ending stroke you could, to make it harder to bottom out, but using a smaller air volume (16mm blue nut) will have a more positive effect.

The bike rocks, enjoy it!
    ~~HCOR.net~~
    East Coast, beyotch!

nsmb member
    Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    3. how do you have the fith element set up? I've seen one of the product managers recommend some settings, but what are you using?

Thanks,
    Eric.
    All you need for the Fifth Element setup is here:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/frames1.html

Enjoy!
    "Dios Mio, man! Liam and me, we gonna **** you up!"

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    Finally gave in to temptation and picked up an 03 sgs pro on sale at superslo. It's an amazing deal. I know some on the board have dissed them, and some of you have them.
    Congrats on the purchase of your SGS.

1. How do i remove the rear wheel? I assume I use a hex wrench and a box end wrench. But I don't wanna mess it up.
    The axle of the Pro is really easy to take on/off. You will need a box wrench (13mm I think) on one side and a hex (8mm I think) on the other. Just turn off the nut and pull out the axle. It's way easier than it looks!

2. These tires are huge, are there dh tubes under there?
    Yep, there are Maxxis DH tubes. You can shave some weight by switching to lighter tubes.

Below is a simple set-up guide for Progressive 5th Element on the SGS models. These instructions were provided by the Iron Horse/Mad Catz team mechanic.

1. Both beginning and ending stroke adjusters all the way out.

2. Air pressure was between 80-100psi depending on the volume adjuster.

3. Volume adjuster was between 2-2 1/2 turns in from all the way out...2 turns in = 100ish psi or 2 1/2 turns in = 80ish psi

4. rebound is rider/terrain preference.

My suggestions on spring rates for the DH bikes are below. These are only suggestions for DH racing use. Some riders may prefer lighter/heavier springs for different types of riding

< 150 = 300#
    150-175 = 350#
    175-200 = 400#
    200-225 = 450#

-ska todd

wheeeee!!!

thanks.

It's great to see person to person support from a company. I see posts from you and DW on this board regularly.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    Congrats on the purchase of your SGS.

The axle of the Pro is really easy to take on/off. You will need a box wrench (13mm I think) on one side and a hex (8mm I think) on the other. Just turn off the nut and pull out the axle. It's way easier than it looks!

Yep, there are Maxxis DH tubes. You can shave some weight by switching to lighter tubes.

Below is a simple set-up guide for Progressive 5th Element on the SGS models. These instructions were provided by the Iron Horse/Mad Catz team mechanic.

1. Both beginning and ending stroke adjusters all the way out.

2. Air pressure was between 80-100psi depending on the volume adjuster.

3. Volume adjuster was between 2-2 1/2 turns in from all the way out...2 turns in = 100ish psi or 2 1/2 turns in = 80ish psi

4. rebound is rider/terrain preference.

My suggestions on spring rates for the DH bikes are below. These are only suggestions for DH racing use. Some riders may prefer lighter/heavier springs for different types of riding

< 150 = 300#
    150-175 = 350#
    175-200 = 400#
    200-225 = 450#

-ska todd

wheeeee!!!

one more question Todd..

almost forgot -
    I bought a large size sgs, does the Boxxer on it come with the stock regular springs, or with the heavy springs? Yeah, I could take off the top caps and check, but I thought I'd ask first.

thanks again,
    Eric