physical condition- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

physical condition

How important is physical condition when it comes to handling a 40+ lb. bike going down.Nevermind going up.What kind of excerise do you do?Pros must do something.What does everybody else do?
    Thanx for looking.

crumb
    its really that important. there are some very skilled skinny riders but also it makes it easier to throw your bike around. but to have tood syle and flow you dont need to be that strong
    ETBW
    Magura

Cynical Bystander
    I do all sorts of riding, dirt jumping, cross country (or I attempt to), road riding (amazing). I try and watch what I eat so that I don't just eat horrible fatty stuff, and I try to do 60-75situps a day as well as 30-60pushups a day.Not superduper amazing but improves my muscle strength as well as endurance.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Conditioning plays a big role in DH. When im not on my DH bike i spend 80% of the time on my xc bike and the remaining 20% on my road bike. Riding xc is great training for DH not only because its physically demanding, but it helps build the essential handling skills for DH. Plus, when you learn to flow on a 3in travel xc bike, imagine hopping back on your 40lb 8in travel machine.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    Conditioning plays a big role in DH. When im not on my DH bike i spend 80% of the time on my xc bike and the remaining 20% on my road bike. Riding xc is great training for DH not only because its physically demanding, but it helps build the essential handling skills for DH. Plus, when you learn to flow on a 3in travel xc bike, imagine hopping back on your 40lb 8in travel machine.
    I think road biking has conditioned me more than anyhting else. You think at first "Oh I can pedal for a few hours" but its an almost desirable suffering when you're out there going up a hill chuggin along at 9mph in like 36/27 or whatever the gearing is and you just gotta go on. Its almost like a fetish once you start doing it. I think its seriously refined me more than anything else this summer.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    mmm road riding. good for cariovascular conditioning!

i've really found value in weight training and riding a singlespeed. lifting gives you the strength to just torque thru alot of stuff, and riding a singlespeed teaches you how to use that torque. cross training in general has great benifits, i believe. endurance from road riding, technical skill from xc and urban, power from lifting and ss pedal mashing, etc. hey, maybe you could stand on stakes to hone your balance...

tossing a bike around gets alot easier when you have reserves of total-body strength. i'm also convinced muscle mass will protect your bones and joints in a crash.

I post too much.
    Weight training has also been good to me, I packed on 20lbs of muscle in a year and man it feels great.

soviet pride
    road biking is a godsend when it comes to total conditioning
    im all about midget drops

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    to keep my conditioning up enough to rip on my banshee scream, rather than huff and puff it around i try to do atleast 1-2 days a week on my Kona Roast, there's a couple good DH runs in my town that have decent side trails that bring you up the side, and since i also like to DH with my HT to improve skills a bit i like to ride up the mtn, and rip the dh trails on the way down. i also do pure XC rides to up around 18-20 km runs,we got a cple really nice long trails which are pretty fun.

Glad to Be Alive
    being in condition helps on the long decends
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    being in condition helps on the long decends
    I find that most of the riders I hang with concentrate on upper body strength when not on their bikes. Helps you lift the bike and put it where you want it.
    "for a hill they would kill why, they do not know"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepinkbikes
    road biking is a godsend when it comes to total conditioning
    Hammering hard to keep the ave speed high and to stay on one's wheel translates to hammering through rock gardens etc.... Ride with fast and close with a pack on road and the boredom goes away.

Also a good way to hit middle age and not look miserable and worn out like most you grew up with.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Most of my trail rides are on the single speed and I work out at least three days a week. I've found that the extra muscle mass not only helps with throwing the bike around, but makes me less prone to injury when I do hit the ground. A little more cushion between my bones and whatever I happen to land on, if you will.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie