Perfect Cali dh bike?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    24

    Perfect Cali dh bike?

    Just looking for some advice for my new dh frame. I have about $2000 to spend on just the frame so I can pretty much get whichever one I want, even if it's used.
    I have been looking at either a dhr, or socom (lighter, more flickable). I want 7+ inches of travel, but still for the bike to handle somewhat lively.

    Parts spec that I already will use:
    Boxxer wc
    729/721 to dt swiss hubs
    holzfeller cranks
    Atlas fr bars
    Juicy 7's
    Ti-fly to Thomson

    I am open to any suggestions for a frame. Just under my budget, and a medium.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chumba15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    548
    Morewood Izimu, Intense 6.6

  3. #3
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,324
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy67
    Just looking for some advice for my new dh frame. I have about $2000 to spend on just the frame so I can pretty much get whichever one I want, even if it's used.
    I have been looking at either a dhr, or socom (lighter, more flickable). I want 7+ inches of travel, but still for the bike to handle somewhat lively.

    Parts spec that I already will use:
    Boxxer wc
    729/721 to dt swiss hubs
    holzfeller cranks
    Atlas fr bars
    Juicy 7's
    Ti-fly to Thomson

    I am open to any suggestions for a frame. Just under my budget, and a medium.

    Thanks.
    WTF is a Cali?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    24
    Well what's the difference between a Izimu and a dh bike that's not a single pivot? I want this bike to pedal somewhat well. And I can't put a Boxxer on a 6.6...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    WTF is a Cali?
    sorry it means California. Smoother trails and not too many bumps/rocks

  6. #6
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,081
    The perfect cali dh bike. . . depends on location. . . I'd say one that can pedal. . . so your looking 6-7.5" . . . unless your looking specificically for a lift or straight shuttle bike. . .

    I've not ridden either but they're sort of the new breed. . . The Driver 8 or the Uzzi. . . SX is in that league as well as well as a slew of other of those fr / light dh bikes.

    I say that owning an Enduro that I've taken down everything I've taken my DH bike on. . . the only time the Enduro falls short is lift assisted riding up here at the Star and even at that it's only the chunky double blacks like Dogbone and Boondocks. That and I'm a hard hack on the bikes I ride.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    The perfect cali dh bike. . . depends on location. . . I'd say one that can pedal. . . so your looking 6-7.5" . . . unless your looking specificically for a lift or straight shuttle bike. . .

    I've not ridden either but they're sort of the new breed. . . The Driver 8 or the Uzzi. . . SX is in that league as well as well as a slew of other of those fr / light dh bikes.

    I say that owning an Enduro that I've taken down everything I've taken my DH bike on. . . the only time the Enduro falls short is lift assisted riding up here at the Star and even at that it's only the chunky double blacks like Dogbone and Boondocks. That and I'm a hard hack on the bikes I ride.
    Yea I was just up at Northstar on a Transition Double and Dogbone killed me. I like to ride mainly Santa Cruz, Pacifica, or other dh trails, and races that I can afford to go to.
    Would those frames work with a Boxxer? I'm not sure a new Uzzi would work to well with a boxxer, but if It could I would definitely consider it because I like the lower travel.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    593
    The dhr is defiantly very lively but maybe a little high travel. A socom/951 wouldnt be bad. Maybe a nomad (If you can use a boxxer on it), or a new faith.
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by huntandride
    The dhr is defiantly very lively but maybe a little high travel. A socom/951 wouldnt be bad. Maybe a nomad (If you can use a boxxer on it), or a new faith.
    Have you ridden a 08 dhr? And I can't afford a 951 frame, even though I would love to ride one.

  10. #10
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy67
    sorry it means California. Smoother trails and not too many bumps/rocks
    Errrrr, what California are you riding in?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Errrrr, what California are you riding in?
    Well I was just thinking I don't need a full on dh bike like a v10. I know there is rough trails I was just in Northstar and rode all of the trails up there on a 4x bike.

  12. #12
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    I am so selling a medium Intense M-3 for 1400 with new bearings, Saint Cranks, and crane creek headset ....riden about 10 months
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jackf40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    152
    I'd say look at a Banshee Rune. 6 inches of travel and it weighs 7.2 pounds. seems like a really nice, light, and flickable dh bike that you'll be able to pedal like crazy!

    There's one I found with a dh spec

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    72
    You need to go with a new Uzzi. Last year I rode UCSC, Demo, Northstar, Whistler, and Annadel on a Intense Slopestyle, but the Uzzi is a little more travel and adjustability to slack out for the Gnar Gnar left side of the hill at Northstar.

    Check the Uzzi forum, lots of guys are running 180-200mm forks, or you can do a Fox 36 for XC. I was in the same boat you were in, need a little more for that occasional Northstar, Sea Otter or Fontana race, but in California a V10 or M6 is overkill.

    I think the new 2010 Giant Faith is cheaper version of an Uzzi (also lightweight, good design) that would do the same thing...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EDizzleVR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    783
    the most common dh bikes ive seen in california are the specialized big hit and demo, im not sure if its because specz is a huge company or what.
    i just got a 06 DHR frame and fork for ~$1200, and the build will run me somewhere just over $800-900, im getting a custom wheelset too...

    its true the v10 and dhr maybe overkill at the sea otter classic what with its pedalling sections, but its awesome elsewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

    6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

  16. #16
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,280
    Not all 8"+ DH bikes pedal badly or weigh a lot. My V10 is quite snappy when accelerating and pedals well enough that I do mild climbs on it. It's all in the suspension design and shock tuning. If memory serves, my large frame weighs 9.5lb with DHX and Ti spring.
    Keep the Country country.

  17. #17
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,280
    Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6
    its true the v10 and dhr maybe overkill at the sea otter classic what with its pedalling sections, but its awesome elsewhere
    Their travel is overkill for that mellow course but Minaar did pretty well on his V10.
    Keep the Country country.

  18. #18
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,417
    The perfect Cali DH bike is one that doesn't break. One that can hold up to year round riding of long rocky trails.

  19. #19
    mtbr "member"
    Reputation: Reek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    717
    Hit up thepedalshop.com for a clearance Marin Quake! I have one with 180mm Domain and LOVE it. Use it in the Sacramento area trails as well as Northstar! Bullet proof bikes that pedals like a much lighter bike. Mines about 34 lbs. with trail wheels. for northstar, probably 35 or 36 with beefier wheels and tires (my guess at those weights).

    Also have a KHS Lucky 7 but use that more for Northstar - Boxxer on that one.

    REEK

  20. #20
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,814
    Here's what you do:

    Find a great 7" bike (Iron Horse 7point, Mini DH, etc.) and get a Totem or a Marz 66.

    Then pick up a cheap dual crown fork (Boxxer Team, 888 from 2005-2006) and slap that on for DH riding. Otherwise, keep the single crown fork.

    You'll be happy.
    Meh.

  21. #21
    MDJ
    MDJ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Here's what you do:

    Find a great 7" bike (Iron Horse 7point, Mini DH, etc.) and get a Totem or a Marz 66.

    Then pick up a cheap dual crown fork (Boxxer Team, 888 from 2005-2006) and slap that on for DH riding. Otherwise, keep the single crown fork.

    You'll be happy.
    Best suggestion yet. You don't need a DH bike if you like to ride Santa Cruz and Pacifica. A 7" bike with a single crown is more than enough and then you can slap on the Boxxer for N* or Mammoth.

    That's what I do.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    664
    DHR is a pretty good call, it's flickable yet has enough travel to deal with anything you come across.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,885
    I've ridden a lot of stuff on a 6 inch AM bike.

    With that said, I've had full on dh bikes and never used them due to their single use specific designs. I currently am on a Demo 7 and I love it. Enough travel for the gnar, short enough wheelbase to be flickable, and the rear end feels great. They feel good with a triple clamp OR a single crown.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy67
    Have you ridden a 08 dhr? And I can't afford a 951 frame, even though I would love to ride one.
    Yeah i rode my friends for a run on gypsy at Northstar. It was small for me and set up too soft but still very flickable and light to move around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Their travel is overkill for that mellow course but Minaar did pretty well on his V10.
    Minaar does everything pretty well on his v10. Heard he did the big line in the Northstar jump park on it. But I'v always wondered why they never run a Nomad or Blur 4x/Lt there.
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

  25. #25
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,814
    7point does whatever you need at Pacifica.

    Demo 7 would be a great option, too. I've seen a bunch of guys with Boxxers and 40's on their Demo 7's.







    Photo credit to Ben Q.
    Meh.

  26. #26
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    7point does whatever you need at Pacifica.

    Demo 7 would be a great option, too. I've seen a bunch of guys with Boxxers and 40's on their Demo 7's.

    Photo credit to Ben Q.
    Whoa that looks fun

  27. #27
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Whoa that looks fun
    I look foolish. But it's amazing what a good photographer can do with a couple of flashes and a good camera.
    Meh.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,885
    Yeah, I'm pretty good at nudie shots

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy67
    Just looking for some advice for my new dh frame. I have about $2000 to spend on just the frame so I can pretty much get whichever one I want, even if it's used.
    I have been looking at either a dhr, or socom (lighter, more flickable). I want 7+ inches of travel, but still for the bike to handle somewhat lively.

    Parts spec that I already will use:
    Boxxer wc
    729/721 to dt swiss hubs
    holzfeller cranks
    Atlas fr bars
    Juicy 7's
    Ti-fly to Thomson

    I am open to any suggestions for a frame. Just under my budget, and a medium.

    Thanks.
    Check your PM's

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.