Pedals to use with 5.10's?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pedals to use with 5.10's?

So I just bought a pair of the 5.10 impacts and I'm wondering on pedal selection. I was thinking a bout Syncros Mentals of some sort or possbily specialized lo mags. Ive had good luck with low mags in the past my only major beef with them is how much of a pain they are to get on and off a bike. Ive heard great things about the Mentals. Hows durability on the Mentals?? Has anyone tried Fun pedals, heard good things about them too. Id like to get something in the sub $100 range.

BTW 5.10 Impact Mids 77.58 overnight shipped from Zappos. They price matched pricepoint.com and still gave the free overnight! Boo Yea

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Sorry can't say I've used any of the pedals you mentioned, but I have had great luck with Truvativ Holzfellers and Crank Bros 50/50xx. One thing about the 50/50's and 5.10 shoes, I found it better to stuck with the stock pins, the longer ones were way to grippy(I like to have some movement). Good luck and great choice on the shoes, you won't be sorry.

Shop *****
    I have the 5050XX's, and personally I love them. Many people don't agree. I've had the chance to ride on Syncros Mental Magnesium's, and I didn't like them. Sharp little buggers, ripped the bottom right out of my shoes. But, if you want grip... Syncros is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    With 5.10's it doesn't matter what pedal you use. I've ridden my moms old schwinn with nylon pedals with the 5.10s and they felt grippier than my a frames without the 5.10's.

Go for what ever is the cheapest but still not crappy cause with 5.10's it doesn't really matter if you've got $200 pedals

mtbr member
    Wasnt there a thread on this like a week ago.. Search that one dude it had like 5 pgs of replies.... But I have the Impact 2 and I have the Syncros Mental Mag I feel clipped in thats how grippy the 5:10 and Mental are..

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    If you used 2X4's and shoved a bolt through them, the 5-10's would grip like no other...

P.S. Here's the thread to read:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...90935#poststop

moaaar shimz
    Any pedal will do...

mtbr member
    I have used the 50/50xx for 2 years with 5.10's and Bomber which has the same rubber. After the post a few days ago I gave the Syncros Mental Magnesium's a try. What a joke I DON"T care what others say my 50/50's have held up for 2 years and the syncros had ripped pins in 3 runs! When I say that it didn't just rip the pin out but broke the screw hole out. If I paid full price I would not be a happy camper hell even at the price I did pay I'm not. They also felt kind of funny on my feet not sure if it was me coming from 2 years on the 50/50 but my feet never felt like they had full contact. The pins feel great but so do my 50/50.

Oh if anyone wants a good deal on the Syncros let me know LOL.

Bottlerockin'
    Mental Mags
    Light, grippy, and damn sexy. Can't be beat in my opinion. I've had greart luck with mine, just make sure to wear those shin guards!

Meh.
    They're so grippy that you don't even need to use pedals with them.

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    They're so grippy that you don't even need to use pedals with them.

You fycker... that was the first smart ass comment that came to mind when he first posted but I didn't want the first to reply to be a smartass one. Now you stole my glory. Haha.

Shop *****
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    You fycker... that was the first smart ass comment that came to mind when he first posted but I didn't want the first to reply to be a smartass one. Now you stole my glory. Haha.
    Pwn'd

Meh.
    You're just jealous.

Is flexy
    I am...seriously

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    You're just jealous.
    He's not the only one... I thought my post had the highest smart-ass ratio. Thanks a lot!

Shop *****
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    I am...seriously
    Suck it up, princess

mtbr member
    Search engine was down when I was trying to eariler. I typed in 5.10 and five ten with no matches.

Thanks for the replies. Im gonna try them with the no pedals, ill take a video so you know how it goes

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    He's not the only one... I thought my post had the highest smart-ass ratio. Thanks a lot!

Don't get down on yourself. Think of it like a sh1ty gift for someone... Its the thought that counts.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    Thanks for the replies. Im gonna try them with the no pedals, ill take a video so you know how it goes
    So much for trying to have the best smart-ass post... Pwn'd again...

mtbr member
    Didn't know we were having a competition

Meh.
    You know how in F1, brakes get so hot that they superheat the air around them to glow red? It's kind of like that with those shoes. They're so incredibly grippy that it actually turns the air beneath the soles into solid matter.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    Didn't know we were having a competition
    Yeah, sorry bout' that. It happens sometimes. Starting a serious thread has its consequences... case in point:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...02108#poststop

More of a goofy laugh fest on that one unlike the smart-ass-ness of yours.

Disco-Superfly
    You know how in F1, brakes get so hot that they superheat the air around them to glow red? It's kind of like that with those shoes. They're so incredibly grippy that it actually turns the air beneath the soles into solid matter.
    i call bs!
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

i like rocks
    my 5.10's are so grippy they enable me to climb giant rock faces.

School Bites
    Serious answer: great & inexpensive pedals are the Nashbar LandCruisers, great grip, replaceable pins, and sealed bearings. And they are on sale now for $24.99 shipped.
    "Get this man a milkshake. Might have to show him how to use the straw though." -kidwoo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Yeah, sorry bout' that. It happens sometimes. Starting a serious thread has its consequences... case in point:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...02108#poststop

More of a goofy laugh fest on that one unlike the smart-ass-ness of yours.
    It's all good as long as I'm inciting people to have fun one way or another. That thread was pretty funny.

Beamer that does look like a pretty nice pedal for the money. I might pick one of them up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I've had my 5050XX for roughly 2 months and they have damn near fallen apart on me in that time.

The set screws which hold the colored plates constantly fall out (despite being loctited). Then when you try to get them tight after getting a few replacements from Crank Brothers, they strip, instantly. At about half the torque I would judge sufficient for such fasteners, too. Who knows, maybe they're not using metric hex screws. To add icing to the cake, the pins are amazingly soft, and many of mine have broken off completely. To add insult to injury, I paid too much for them.

I'm currently in the market for replacement pedals.

Meh.
    Kona Jackshit Primo. They actually cup your foot. Sealed bearings, replaceable pins, big spindle, and cheap. I had the same set of the unsealed ones for like 3 years. Then I gave it to a dude. He liked them better than his 50/50. Now I'm on some Azonic Accelerators or whatever. I should've kept the Konas.

mtbr member
    Azonic A frames/Pookys, and 50/50's are damn near amazing..... with any shoe

Meh.
    I disagree about the 50/50. The Convex shape feels awkward. The grip is mediocre at best.

mtbr member
    I disagree about the 50/50. The Convex shape feels awkward. The grip is mediocre at best.

convex shape grows on ya, and you can always get more or longer pins for it, most do.

Meh.
    Even with long pins, the grip is only mediocre. I gave my 30 dollars Kona pedals to a friend. He instantly liked them more than his 50/50s

mtbr member
    I just ordered a pair of these to replace my 5050XXs that constantly lose pins, trays, etc.:

Funn Soljam Vipers

mtbr member
    Those looks awesome, how much?

mtbr member
    They're $46 at Universal Cycles.

Members who have read this thread: 0