Pedals Decisions- Mtbr.com

Poll: Which Pedals are for me?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Pedals Decisions

I am looking for new pedals since the stock ones ain't cutting it. They have no grip and spin ridiculously.
    I am up in the air over what to get-
    New NYC Freeride Race lites
    Syncros Mental-steel
    Atomlab Quikstep

Right now I am leaning towards NYC since they are cheaper than the syncros and look grippy. Where are they available?
    Anybody on here running them.
    I know that not many people have these three pedals but share your opinions.
    Also I know there are many threads regarding pedals but there is very little info regarding these specific ones.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who pickin the banjo?
    I'm running the NYC Freeride Lenosky pedals which are very close to the Race Lite pedals.

They are great. Really good pedals.
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by menachite
    I'm running the NYC Freeride Lenosky pedals which are very close to the Race Lite pedals.

They are great. Really good pedals.

Where can ya get em

mtbr member
    those syncros pedals are sick. i know a couple people using them. they are sooo grippy, grippier than my shin burgers. they will put quite a dent in your wallet though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig
    those syncros pedals are sick. i know a couple people using them. they are sooo grippy, grippier than my shin burgers. they will put quite a dent in your wallet though.
    Thats because Shin Burgers dont grip well. (not saying the Syncros dont grip well)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

rollin
    didn't NYC freeride close up shop?
    those pedals look pimp.

Bionic Mtn Biker

Out of those three...

The Atomlab Quickstep has the best grip.....Because it is clipless.

https://www.atomlab.com/

I haven't heard or read much about the quicksteps, as it seems that not many people are using them. Probably because they cost twice as much as other types of flat/clipless pedals ~$200. They look like the perfect pedal in terms of a middle ground in flat/clipless, though (in theory, at least). I myself am contemplating these or the Azonic A-Frame Clip

The Syncros Mentals have crazy grip (too much grip!) as the pins sometimes stick into the soles of my shoe and tear em up. They have a lifetime guarantee, but be prepared to score them at a premium price, $185 last time I checked. Thay are also relatively heavy.

I know one rider who swears by the NYC freeride race lites. He's a weight weenie and needed light components to keep his Heckler under 30 pounds. These pedals do not grip as well as the Syncros, but that is relative to what shoes you're wearing. They are waaaay lighter than most pedals out there. Down side? May not last as long, since my friend is ordering his second set in 6 months.

You could also check out the tried & true Azonic A Frames or Easton Flatboys if you're looking for quality, grippable, sealed pedals.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    didn't NYC freeride close up shop?
    those pedals look pimp.
    No here is the press release-
    Hello everyone, this is Andy from NYC Freeride:
    I just want to dispel any and all of the rumors that have been circling around these days! NYC Freeride is alive and well and is not “going under”. The company is going through some growing pains and changes that will make us stronger. I can promise you this is just the beginning. If you like the products that we have produced so far, then you will love the new beginning of NYC Freeride.
    The press release that Bill (My business Partner) sent out to all of the websites was premature and not well thought out. Yes, there are some changes going on but I can promise you that we are not going out of business. These changes affect more of the internal day to day operations, but will not affect the quality and style of products we supply to you, our customers. We will continue to provide the industry with the best products money can buy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 6milliondollarman
    The Atomlab Quickstep has the best grip.....Because it is clipless.

https://www.atomlab.com/

I haven't heard or read much about the quicksteps, as it seems that not many people are using them. Probably because they cost twice as much as other types of flat/clipless pedals ~$200. They look like the perfect pedal in terms of a middle ground in flat/clipless, though (in theory, at least). I myself am contemplating these or the Azonic A-Frame Clip

The Syncros Mentals have crazy grip (too much grip!) as the pins sometimes stick into the soles of my shoe and tear em up. They have a lifetime guarantee, but be prepared to score them at a premium price, $185 last time I checked. Thay are also relatively heavy.

I know one rider who swears by the NYC freeride race lites. He's a weight weenie and needed light components to keep his Heckler under 30 pounds. These pedals do not grip as well as the Syncros, but that is relative to what shoes you're wearing. They are waaaay lighter than most pedals out there. Down side? May not last as long, since my friend is ordering his second set in 6 months.

You could also check out the tried & true Azonic A Frames or Easton Flatboys if you're looking for quality, grippable, sealed pedals.

Ok thank you very much that was really helpful. I assummed the atomlabs would be expensive so that route is out. I was curious to see how durable the NYC pedals were and they are not exactly bombproof. I am leaning towards the syncros since they have a lifetime warranty and are super grippy. I used to run clipless so the grippier the better. I use 661 launch shoes and the sole seems pretty tough. I may contemplate actual clipless down the road but syncros seem like they would be perfect for DH and FR. Plus now they are going for about $150.
    Thank you very much you really helped Mr. 6 million dollars

mtbr member
    May 2005

Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by MX 887
    Ok thank you very much that was really helpful. I assummed the atomlabs would be expensive so that route is out. I was curious to see how durable the NYC pedals were and they are not exactly bombproof. I am leaning towards the syncros since they have a lifetime warranty and are super grippy. I used to run clipless so the grippier the better. I use 661 launch shoes and the sole seems pretty tough. I may contemplate actual clipless down the road but syncros seem like they would be perfect for DH and FR. Plus now they are going for about $150.
    Thank you very much you really helped Mr. 6 million dollars
    The nyc freeride pedals are totally bomb proof!!!
    I never heard of anyone destroying these pedals and the are totally rebuildable in case you wreck any of the pins or happen to do something to the bearings.. Plus they are cheaper than any of the pedals you have spoken about...
    Jeff Lenosky is still riding his original pedals and has not bent or broken them yet... Lars Tribus bent three pairs of profile cranks and his spindles are still laser straight..
    So how is that for durability and bombproofness.....

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    what colors do the race pedals from NYC come in?

I wanna talk to Samson!
    How much are the NYC's
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    May 2005

colors..

Quote Originally Posted by sreiman
    what colors do the race pedals from NYC come in?
    black gold pink as of now...
    contact Andy for more colors:Yanluowang@nyc.rr.com

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    How much are the NYC's
    120$ plus shipping. Try Racers Edge in brooklyn. They have the reg NYC freerides. They r freakin amazing. The Race lites will be out real soon i hope. Dying for a silver pair myself. Im guessing race lites will be more money. Colors-black, silver and pimp ass gold.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

mtbr member

NYC Freeride - I tried these out at Diablo

I sooo wish I'd bought these when I had the chance to get them without paying shipping...

Yep. Three days of thinking about it is enough. I'm getting a pair of the Race lite. These pedals are not too heavy and INCREDIBLY grippy.

Andy,
    Après moi, le deluge... Get ready.

-sunny

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    120$ plus shipping. Try Racers Edge in brooklyn. They have the reg NYC freerides. They r freakin amazing. The Race lites will be out real soon i hope. Dying for a silver pair myself. Im guessing race lites will be more money. Colors-black, silver and pimp ass gold.
    The Racelites are out and are $113 and are available at MTN Creek they have black and gold right now they also have the new lighter Glory holes in black...they are also carrying all of the products available from NYC freeride
    or contact Andy direct:Yanluowang@nyc.rr.com
    Thanks
    Jason

I wanna talk to Samson!
    If I ever have that kinda coin to drop on a set of pedals, I'll be all over some pink ones.
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    If I ever have that kinda coin to drop on a set of pedals, I'll be all over some pink ones.
    why worry about the cost??? It's all pink on the inside!!!!!!!!
    These would be the last pedals you would ever buy....indestructable.....
    Last edited by JSG61169; 06-01-2005 at 08:41 PM.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSG61169
    why worry about the cost???
    These would be the last pedals you would ever buy....indestructable.....
    Money is an issue right now (jobless 15 year old), and I need to spend money on other bike parts.
    JackNugz

New project, TBA shortly
    um, new shoes? if your pedals are decent, you might benefit from new shoes like the five.ten's. was slipping off of any pedal that I tried, until I switched shoes from clapped-out bmx/skate shoes to the five.ten's. now I have to physically pick up my foot to adjust it on the pedal, they're that grippy. just a thought...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    um, new shoes? if your pedals are decent, you might benefit from new shoes like the five.ten's. was slipping off of any pedal that I tried, until I switched shoes from clapped-out bmx/skate shoes to the five.ten's. now I have to physically pick up my foot to adjust it on the pedal, they're that grippy. just a thought...

I'm running Race-Lites with Oakly Radars and it feels like I'm clipped-in.
    As far as the guy that said his friend has gone thru my pedals in about 6 months that's B.S. unless he's beating the hell out of them with a sledge hammer.
    There is a sealed needle bearing in the inside and a radial ball bearing on the outside and its a big one(R6) not a tiny one like some of my competitors have.
    Also I would warranty the axles for lifetime against breakage.
    If you break it I will replace it for free!
    Andy

Bionic Mtn Biker

OK I'll bite...

Quote Originally Posted by andynycfreeride
    I'm running Race-Lites with Oakly Radars and it feels like I'm clipped-in.
    As far as the guy that said his friend has gone thru my pedals in about 6 months that's B.S. unless he's beating the hell out of them with a sledge hammer.
    There is a sealed needle bearing in the inside and a radial ball bearing on the outside and its a big one(R6) not a tiny one like some of my competitors have.
    Also I would warranty the axles for lifetime against breakage.
    If you break it I will replace it for free!
    Andy
    Hey Andy,

Good to hear that NYC Freeride is going strong. As for my pal ordering his second set, in 6 months, let me clarify. He currently has the older NYC Freeride pedals and will be UPGRADING to the Race Lites. He didn't have a durability issue...That was an assumption I made, and prematurely at that. The only problem he ran into (rider fault) was that he smacked the right pedal really hard on a parking block coming off a loading dock drop during an urban session. Result: two sheared and two flattened pins, and a twisted ankle. This took place about a month ago, and just yesterday he looked at servicing the pins. The sheared pins were easily removed w/ an allen wrench, but the flattened ones needed some coaxing w/ pliers, as the threads on the pins were stripped. When he replaced new pins (bought at the hardware store), we found that the threads in the pedal housing had not stripped at all, and in fact were immaculate for a perfect fit. Aside from the cosmetic wear & tear scratches, the pedals still perform and look like the day he got em in the mail, and they've been through alot, including submersion in water from riding through a stream and countless pedal smacking fun (not the smoothest rider).

Soooo, with that said, I will be ordering a pair of the Race Lites for my DJ bike based off of my pal's experience and testimonial, and the fact that the axles have a lifetime warranty. I also understand that much thought, blood, sweat, and tears went into the engineering & manufacturing of the pedals. Emphasis on the blood part - heard about the pinky. Now, if that's not sacrifice & passion for your craft, I don't know what is!

OT: Are the new stems available for purchase? Price?

As far as the Syncros pedals go, I'll be giving them to my brother (he's currently "borrowing" them). I have nothing against these, and found them to be the grippiest of all the pedals I've tried/owned. But for me, they offer TOO much grip (smaller pin diameter), to the point where I sometimes have problems taking my foot off to dab, and they're eating through my Vans Rowleys. I shudder to think what would happen if the pins make their way through the sole to my feet. My bro rides in Adidas Shelltoes, which he feels are a perfect match for the Syncros.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)

mtbr member
    I like my Azonic A-Frames... Cheap, light( ok not realy), strong. But go with the NYC stuff, just cuz they're cool
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net