Pedalling Technique -DH- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Pedalling Technique -DH

I have noticed I suck pedalling when doing DH runs, sometimes Jamming the pedals, or not getting smooth enuff cadence
    seeking advice from the good pedallers out there on what techniques helps them step on the gas when pinning it DH style.
    I noticed some lift the front of the bike up (like a wheelie) to get the power down, others pedal over rock gardens. Any tips?

mtbr member
    You have to check where you can pedal first. Not in the tight turns, not when you have lots of rocks. And when you find the right spot, pedal for your life!
    ride the best Inca trails in Peru: www.inkasadventures.com

Ricky DH
    It's all about timing. Pedaling over rocks is even possible with good timing. If you know there is a section coming up where you can't pedal, then gain tons of speed before that section so you can roll or jump any rocks or roots that slow you down. Before a berm grab some speed, break just before the berm, lean hard, coast through and then accelerate hard out of the berm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Learn to pump through the rough when you can't pedal

Glad to Be Alive
    try and find ways not to pedal.....meaning, more pumping and less braking....some sections like rock gardens are a no no.....spinning is better then smashing a big gear
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Rover Nick is spot on. Ever since i started riding at a indoor skate/bike park and doing the pump track other than working out is the single biggest improvement in my dh skills ..

A lot of people "plow" thru stuff because they have a lot of travel vs. "flowing" over and on stuff and using the terrain to push them further down the hill.

If you watch guys other than on flat stuff or in a sprint type area they aren't pedaling thru the rought stuff but are still flying....

mtbr member
    Build up your leg strength so when you do pedal you can spin your cranks around 90-120 RPM's. It is a lot more efficient and faster than being in too high of a gear. Also be light on your pedals don't have all your weight on the pedal your cranking down, it makes your pedaling less efficient.

The people you see bringing up there front end arn't doing it on purpose it's the torque from pedaling fast/hard. Unless they don't know what there doing and just put in that extra effort to pop there front wheel up with there arms b/c they think its helping them.....

banned
    Mar 2008
    Timing is everything as is being in the right gear for the trail you are on. Don't want to be in too low of a gear when you do jam on the pedals, as you also do not want to be in to high of a gear. Lately I've been finding better success with pedaling super hard up to certain spots of the downhill run and then just flowing through the S curves. Where I am at it is super sluffy, giving almost a carving powder on a snowboard feel.

Also different pedalling techniques for different rides. I ride big heavy hardtails so jaming on the pedals in areas of the course is different then on a dually. I always have that instant hookup sensation. But not clearing the upcoming double always hurts damnit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    pump pump pump, overall pumpin will probably help you more than trying to pedal in rocky spots, good pumping gets u going fast, (mark weir)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11
    Rover Nick is spot on. Ever since i started riding at a indoor skate/bike park and doing the pump track other than working out is the single biggest improvement in my dh skills ..

A lot of people "plow" thru stuff because they have a lot of travel vs. "flowing" over and on stuff and using the terrain to push them further down the hill.

If you watch guys other than on flat stuff or in a sprint type area they aren't pedaling thru the rought stuff but are still flying....
    \

X2. totally!
    Aztech Frames
    Azonic/O'neal racing
    Avalanche DH Suspension
    http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...za/aztechshop/

Members who have read this thread: 0