Pedaling Freeride bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Pedaling Freeride bike?

Hey,
    I was looking for a 180mm freeride bike that can still pedal up trails and do 1 or 2 BMEs, I was looking at something like a Norco Truax or a Giant Faith. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

mtbr member
    I use my canfield balance for stuff like that. Big mountain days and bike parks. 170/165

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    I use my canfield balance for stuff like that. Big mountain days and bike parks. 170/165

The Balance is awesome
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Knolly Delirium. Depending on the shock it's either 170 or 185mm of rear travel, and 170-200mm up front (dual crown compatible).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Has anyone tried a Giant Faith? Because I can get one with better components for cheaper than any of these bikes, but that might be for a reason. I'm looking to do a little more enduro than freeride, but I bought an enduro bike and it wasn't enough

mtbr member
    Can set up a nomad 4 pretty well for that purpose 170/170

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It's a little out of my price range

Big Test Icycles
    I was at Whistler last summer (riding my Banshee Spitfire) and sparked up a conversation with a guy riding a Banshee Darkside. He said it was a great do it all, pedals well for its weight. He had a 180 single crown fork and a 200mm dual crown back at his hotel room. He said it was the perfect park bike that pedals anywhere.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by zenwafle View Post
    Has anyone tried a Giant Faith? Because I can get one with better components for cheaper than any of these bikes, but that might be for a reason. I'm looking to do a little more enduro than freeride, but I bought an enduro bike and it wasn't enough
    Out of curiosity which enduro bike did you get that ďwasnít quite enough?Ē What is your price range? The giant faith is a heavy beast for pedaling around compared to more modern options, I believe it runs 26Ē which is becoming a rarer species with more limited part options, and itís geometry is pretty dated. Providing price range will make it easier for people to provide useful suggestions.
    18í SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I bought a 2016 YT Capra and the fork Stantonís arenít big enough and there is to much flex compared to the Rockshox totem on the faith

Shartacular Spectacular
    What is your budget? How much do you weight? Or did you buy that Faith?
    18í SC Bronson Carbon

2018 SC V10.6

mtbr member
    Yes, I rode a Faith and they are super FUN! The bottom bracket was a bit high and HTA a bit steep but you can fix both of those issues with an angleset from Works Components. I now ride a Balance and can ride anything with it. You might be surprised at what you can get a used one for these days so... depends on your budget. The big advantage the Balance has over the Faith are the much shorter chainstays which makes manuals and keeping the front end up on drops easier. Snag one if you can afford it, otherwise get the Faith and SEND IT!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Banshee Darkside with a 170 or 180 fork and dropper seatpost! Slam the seat forward and this thing climbs amazingly well for a 180 rear travel. Short seat tubes mean you can upsize too!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Banshee Darkside

Pedaling Freeride bike?-9b174ddc-8033-48bd-b46f-10f10091971f.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9B174DDC-8033-48BD-B46F-10F10091971F.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	369.0 KB 
ID:	1253531
    Does the darkside pedal well enough to race a bme? And if so, would this website be reliable?

https://www.mtbsale.com/banshee-darkside-frame.html

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Its a fast bike so Im sure you can race it. The steeper and more technical the better. Upsize to a longer frame if you can for more stability. Its gonna surprise you how well it pedals, just dial in just enough low speed compression.

I am not familiar with mtbsale so canít help you there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Its a fast bike so Im sure you can race it. The steeper and more technical the better. Upsize to a longer frame if you can for more stability. Its gonna surprise you how well it pedals, just dial in just enough low speed compression.

I am not familiar with mtbsale so canít help you there.
    Iím currently on an xl frame which seems to fit me well, I donít think I can get and xxl

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Iím currently on an xl frame which seems to fit me well, I donít think I can get and xxl
    I am 5í9Ē and the size L is perfect for me. If youíre in a XL bike now, the Large Darkside is gonna be too small for you Iím afraid. The size L is the largest they make.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You might want to consider the Rune. They make it in an XL size.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You might want to consider the Rune. They make it in an XL size.
    I donít know, I need a bike capable of taking huge hits and still be able to pedal up

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm riding a '13 Canfield One as my park bike this summer. Fox 40 on front so it's 200mm f/b but can still pedal very easily. This bike is a diamond in the rough, though, as it's 6 years old and has a very unique design that nothing else has come close to, at least for me.

I call it the "Down-Duro"

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    I'm riding a '13 Canfield One as my park bike this summer. Fox 40 on front so it's 200mm f/b but can still pedal very easily. This bike is a diamond in the rough, though, as it's 6 years old and has a very unique design that nothing else has come close to, at least for me.

I call it the "Down-Duro"
    Does it pedal well enough in order to do regular trail rides?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey,
    I was looking for a 180mm freeride bike that can still pedal up trails and do 1 or 2 BMEs, I was looking at something like a Norco Truax or a Giant Faith. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?
    How much do you have to spend?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
    How much do you have to spend?
    Around 2000

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Around 2000
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2425457/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2448077/

You can long shock the Capra to get it to 170mm

Shartacular Spectacular
    Does it pedal well enough in order to do regular trail rides?
    It will pedal way better than that older garbage you suggested initially. I vote you mod your Capra if you donít have the money to buy an even longer travel newer enduro bike. Learn to ride what youíve got, itís a super capable bike especially if you throw that money at some custom shock tuning. I rode my Bronson in the park all of last summer and it made me a much better rider.

Bottom line is at your budget, you arenít going to buy the magic bullet youíre looking for, so I would strongly suggest you turn your current rig into that magic bullet and learn to ride it.
    18í SC Bronson Carbon

2018 SC V10.6

Your bike sucks
    Howdy-

I have a Canfield One - https://forums.mtbr.com/canfield/201...l#post12804537

I've actually used it in a few BMEs (lyrik on front) and, like the other guy, its my park bike. If you want to be competitive in BME, you'd be better off with a current, long travel 29er or whatnot. If you legitimately want to lift serve/freeride plus pedal to place to descend/huck - on a budget - it'd be a good choice.

Been trying to simplify and go to one bike w/ lift serve in the mix (sold other bikes and trying to find a home for the One) and I processed though my final candidates:

Guerilla Gravity MegaTrail - 165
    Knolly Delirium - 170
    Transition Patrol - 160

And basically though attrition, I have a Patrol coming today. The new megatrail won't be avail in my size until late sept maybe. You can't find a new Delirium frame in large. Not saying you should go this route as I had things I wanted like: long, 27.5 big meats and running full coil w/ a Push 11/6..and a bit more pedally than pure park.

I saw a few Deliriums on PB that looked decent for a bit more than your budget. Same for Canfield Balance which would have been awesome for me too if I could get the fit I wanted.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have an excellent condition large '17 Knolly Delrium frame for sale https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...ow-miles&cat=7

mtbr member
    I'll vote for a Rocky Mountain slayer. Rides uphill like a 130mm bike, and can hold onto DH bikes on the down.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    2018-2019 Capra 27.5. 180mm rear travel and can take a dual crown fork.