pedal grind- Mtbr.com

Thread: pedal grind

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

pedal grind

so exactly how does one go about pedal grinding? i'm pretty clueless. what actually does the grinding (i'm assuming pedal) but i have no idea how to do one but i really wanna give it a try. how do i do one? any help would be greatly appreciated

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005
    I may be able to help a little, I will step off my "We Need a Urban Park, DJ forum" Soap Box for a moment.

One of my friends who is a much better rider than me does it by approacing the object he wants to grind on, and landing on the object with his front wheel and pedal at the same time. for example if the object is on his left side he approaches does a bunny hop, and push back on his left pedal as hes coming down, with the rear brake locked, so the pedal does not move. IT helps to have a dedicated grind side, and pedal side of your pedal, unless you don't run long pins.

Stepping back on my box

We Need A Urban DJ Park forum, it will only help this site to grow.

Its the future,

Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    so exactly how does one go about pedal grinding? i'm pretty clueless. what actually does the grinding (i'm assuming pedal) but i have no idea how to do one but i really wanna give it a try. how do i do one? any help would be greatly appreciated
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

Meh.
    jherich answered your question pretty well. When I ride urban I pull all the pins out of one side of the pedals on the non-drive side. Hop up with the front wheel and pedal, and lock the brake. I usually have the pedal trailing behind as opposed to having it in front. Some people just grind with the pedal at the top of the stroke with the crank perpendicular to the grinding surface. I guess that works too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    alright one more question about grinding on my bashring? what about my rear derailleur? is it going to get in the way? cause i don't wanna kill it

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    alright one more question about grinding on my bashring? what about my rear derailleur? is it going to get in the way? cause i don't wanna kill it
    derailer....depends which side you grind on. as a rule of thumb, singlespeed is more suited to park and urban (although Ive seen plenty of folsk run gears).

back to grinding though...I prefer to use the bashring and pedal for the kind of grinds you are referring to. Having the front wheel on is almost like doing a feeble (if you ran pegs) and can feel a bit awkward if you aren't used to it since the front wheel is a good bit higher. Id actually suggest you try pedal stalls before trying to slide them, less risk of injury imo. Just pick a fairly steep quarter pipe (steeper the better) and approach at moderate to almost slow(ish) speed. Turn your normal way at the lip, small bunnyhop then follow Jherich instructions. Once you get that down, start finding ledges and stuff to slide. You'll need more speed to grind it (unless its coping then its like ice!). Approach at a slight angle, bunny up and slide.....make sure you commit 100% or you're gonna wind up testing the rebound properties of cement.

On a different, although similar note, Im 150% with Jherich on the new forum. I ride as much park and street as I do trail (maybe more) and I know of lots more that do the same. Like Field of Dreams...."if you build it...."
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ok, i when on my first urban ride today and was able to grind a ledge 2 times. but i also keept landing on my chainstay, is there any trick to not do that or should i just get a chainstay protector for the nondrive side also?

mtbr member
    dont people use metal things that clip on some side of the pedal..
    you should make a plate out of tungsten cause it wont get worn away ..ever
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

banned
    Yeah, my friend is getting there with this whole grind thing.

Damn, he owns me on this area of expertise.
    Last edited by standard235; 12-22-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    ok, i when on my first urban ride today and was able to grind a ledge 2 times. but i also keept landing on my chainstay, is there any trick to not do that or should i just get a chainstay protector for the nondrive side also?
    That's why some dedicated urban bikes and a lot of BMX bikes have grind guards on the frame.

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005
    There are a lot of options out for pedal grinds, but the best options seems to be to use your reguar pedals and pull the pins on one side. You can also add screws to the grind side, and use those to grind on. They slide well, and will give you a little traction if you step on them by mistake.

Thanks to a friend, my pedal grinds are getting better, and I'm not having to spend money on special pedal grind plates.
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

Members who have read this thread: 0