Pedal Conversion Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Pedal Conversion Question

Is it hard to convert from clips to flats for ?

Glad to Be Alive
    all about the person
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ive ridden clips all my life

Uphill? What's that
    Clips or clipless? I rode clip less for about 7 years on my xc bike befor I started riding D.H. changing to flats was pretty easy.. I just feel more confident knowing I can get my feet off the pedals without any hesitation... I never rode with clips ( cages) they just don't look safe for anything other than rails to trails.

Huffy Rider
    I ride clipless on my trail bike and flats on my DH/FR bike, no problem going back and forth. The hardest part would be if you had to pedal a lot going from clipless to flats, as you lose the pull up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    oh man i meant clipless pedals all my life sorry!!

mtbr member
    I've been running clipless pedals for 18 years. Outside the first week that I started using them, I've never gotten stuck in them when I had to bail.

That being said, I can ride okay with flats and I'm sure I'd be more comfortable with them if I made it a point to use them. Most long time clipless pedal users I know who've switched to flats say it takes a full season to get really comfortable on flats.
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ive downhilled like once, and i started to do blacks and double blacks. so like will it be hard to do those runs going flats now..?

Uphill? What's that
    If you are going to flats just make sure to pick a good set and get a pair of 5.10 shoes.. They stick like glue so you won't notice much difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    been riding clips for a few years now and just got into DJ... Took 20 mins to "re-learn" to jump with flats and now its no problem

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    If you are going to flats just make sure to pick a good set and get a pair of 5.10 shoes.. They stick like glue so you won't notice much difference.
    THIS. If you don't wear 5.10's it will be challenging and difficult. With the 5.10's your feet won't move.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    what five 10s you recommend for better stickness?

cyclone??

Huffy Rider
    I think those are for clippless, I recommend the Impacts, hi or low.

mtbr member
    not that hard if you get good pedals and some good shoes (5.10s). I ride flats on my DH bike, and both on my trail bike. I think it makes you a better rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    so impacts are the best to get? and can i wear them around as casual shoe or will that wear out the soles?

mtbr member
    Soft rubber and relatively stiff soles (compared to regular shoes) -- I don't think they are a great "casual" shoe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    like school shoe

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    For a casual look and feel go with the 5.10 Freerider or Dirtbag. They still have excellent grip not quite as grippy as the Impacts.

mtbr member
    The number one factor driving how long a pair of 5-10s lasts is whether you walk in them as a casual shoe (in my experience). I don't recommend it.

I wore a pair of Spitfires on and off the bike this spring/early summer, and the soles are really badly worn. Freerider Pros that I replaced them with are still ~mint, and the Freeriders have more miles on them. I believe both use the same sole compound (S1).

Spitfire on the left, Freerider Pro on the right. That wear spot on the Spitfire is thinner than you could see in a photo--feels like I could push my thumb right through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedal Conversion Question-p1020434.jpg  

Last edited by Snfoilhat; 11-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0