Passing etiquette- Mtbr.com
    Motion activated

Passing etiquette

So when you're riding DH at a ski resort and you come up on someone, is it considered rude or something to ask to pass? Most people are pretty nice about it and yield the trail at the first opportunity. But some people make a big deal out of it.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    just yell "on your left," or "on your right," and if they don't move, they're a dick...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Pro Crastinator
    pricks that don't move when asked, get crowded out and forced off the trail. and i'm pretty darn rude and aggressive about it if i've already asked for the right of way (assuming he/she had the opportunity to easily pull over and let me pass) i'd expect the same if i was in someones way and didn't move.....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    pricks that don't move when asked, get crowded out and forced off the trail. and i'm pretty darn rude and aggressive about it if i've already asked for the right of way (assuming he/she had the opportunity to easily pull over and let me pass) i'd expect the same if i was in someones way and didn't move.....
    Riders that force their way past in unsafe places are also pricks. The riders in front needs to be able to find a spot they feel safe to pull over. Just because a rider is slower does not mean they are not riding at or near their limit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    just yell "on your left," or "on your right," and if they don't move, they're a dick...
    I usually come up on them and say can i get by. Then its ok on your left/right. What kind of trouble are you having exactly?

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Riders that force their way past in unsafe places are also pricks. .....
    i was clear to point out that sometimes it isn't safe for someone to let me by, and that's cool. but if you don't move when it's safe, you better find a safe place to be landing.......

Glad to Be Alive
    I say to your right or left....if they don't pull to the side (when it is safe) and you see them trying to race you a little...I will get on their tail and start making whooping noises.....usually they bail....and that is the best part......just remember to get on them tight, hoot and hollar, then back off a little to give them room to bail....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Just roll it......
    Steve,

It really depends on the trail, the rider in front of you and your passing skills. I've been riding the bike park for 5 or 6 years now and this is one of those topics that comes up on nsmb every year with regard to A-Line because there are total morons that will try to pass in the worst possible spots up there. There are also people that shouldn't be riding that trail, but that's another topic. In general, on that trail or other fast, flowy trails, I first try to avoid slow folks when I enter the top or middle section by giving anyone that enters in front of me some time before I head down so I don't ride up their asses. I know these trails well enough that I can pretty much rail them, so I don't take any joy in coming up on slow riders.....it ruins my buzz and theirs, so I just give those folks space when I see them entering in front of me.

Inevitably though, I usually catch someone on A Line, Freight Train or Dirt Merchant. When that happens, I give them some space while still making enough noise to let them know someone's behind them and then try to give them an "on your left" when there's a good, safe spot to pass. If someone catches me, I let them by when it makes sense, but I don't pull over in dumb spots. There are some super fast mofo's up in Whistler and I have no illusions that I'm the fastest person on the hill....so I'm fine with letting a ripper go past me when it makes sense to let them by.

On blue/green trails like B-Line, Fantastik or Heart of Darkness, I don't try to pass people unless they let me by. The reason is that those trails are made for beginners and not for advanced folks to be riding up on their asses. Nothing chaps my hide worse than seeing a train of idiots passing a beginner on these trails. If you want to ride fast, then hop on freight train or something with some challenge to it.....these trails are for the folks who are just getting their feet wet in the park. If I see someone pulling one of these maneuvers on a beginner trail, I'll catch up with them and give them an earful.

Anyway, that's my take on it. You can some of the rants of the BC folks here.

Cheers,
    EBX

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    What kind of trouble are you having exactly?
    Thanks for all the replies guys, that is pretty much the way I see things too, but I just wanted to check. We're all out there to have fun and I don't want to ruin anyone’s day or be a pr!ck.

Most people are really good about it, I just had someone refuse to yield the trail to my wife (who decided to pull over and wait) and then to me. The rider was extremely agitated and described me as a F'ing Jerk for riding so close. Then there are the guys who decide it's a race when you ask to pass.

Anyway no big deal it's just that I'm Australian and I though maybe I was asking wrong. Some people say “Track” but I though that was just for the races.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I usually just say "on your left / right" when there's a straight and open place to get around them... if they sprint or do something to not let me pass, the next right hand corner (dont want to screw up my derailer) we get to, they get a nice sliding block pass on their front wheel and then Im gone.

Generally I like to give people the respect they deserve, but if I see that respect not being returned, well then that guy is a prick... and deserves what he gets.

I've only had to do this once. Most people are pretty cool about yeilding to faster traffic.
    Last edited by Zonk0u; 07-03-2006 at 09:56 AM.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    . The rider was extremely agitated and described me as a F'ing Jerk for riding so close. .
    those are the guys you hoot and holler at......and then watch them bail...good times good times
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    those are the guys you hoot and holler at......and then watch them bail...good times good times
    Too true. I love rubbing their tire then saying sorry.. Or just staying on their tail while coasting really annoys them (thank you hadley/king). Then you watch them try to hit a corner 10mph faster than they should and go sailing off the trail, or they realize they're going too slow and they can't keep the pace and then you have all the passring room you need.

I try to be nice and respectful of all riders but if they ignore me on a course thats fast.. it reminds me of the same thing with people driving in the fast lane...

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonk0u
    right hand corner (dont want to screw up my derailer)
    Ah good point..... (making a mental note)

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    now i don't ride DH, but when riding some XC i've had people not wanna move. some dude on a brand new Santa Cruz Blur was riding like an old person and i was like "on your left" and he says "good for you" and i'm thinking wtf? so we are riding and i say "hey buddy can i get around ya?" and his response is "go f*ck yourself" so... it was about at this time when my friend right behind me throws his water bottle past my head and into the back of the other guy. i know, it wasn't a bright thing to do, but i didn't feel bad at the time... mainly cause i had nothing to do with throwing it. after it hit him he kind of swerved off the trail and stoped while yelling and screaming. so throwing sh*t at them is one way to make em move.

i normally just start riding up on them and putting in a wheel on the inside of turns and forcing space where there isn't any. justg alittle bit of my motocross background kicking in. once you start showing them you aren't afriad to put them through the next corner they will back off and let you around. other wise.... come in fast on the inside and stuff em.

TNC
    noMAD man

Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i was clear to point out that sometimes it isn't safe for someone to let me by, and that's cool. but if you don't move when it's safe, you better find a safe place to be landing.......
    I like courtesy...both taken and given equally when the time is proper, but it is amazing how some yahoos get offended or something when you politely ask to pass. I'm as hardheaded as the next guy...well, maybe not as much as SMT...but when a guy cruises up behind you, he wasn't transported there by the Starship Enterprise...he's faster than you. Why spoil his ride, and maybe yours, trying to make some kind of useless point? You see a lot of this at Moab...and I guess any popular riding location...fragile egos, perhaps. This situation has provided some of the most entertaining and funny sights, however. I've come across riders who wouldn't give an inch, and you could tell they were riding waaaay over their head in an attempt to step it up. I've seen some spectacular crashes, some amazing saves, and some "new routes" on the trail that were very impressive. On the other hand, when I've had a faster rider(s) come upon me, I've pulled into or onto a cubbyhole or ledge that they never anticipated me being able to exit the trail into. I've seen them crash every once in awhile or take a heinous line because my sudden absence kinda disoriented them because they lost their concentration on the trail. Those are kinda funny because they were paying more attention to me than the trail.

I certainly believe in courtesy and politeness when riding. But I often recall the warning given at the rider's meeting about passing during a dirt motorcycle enduro race...which is really just racing on singletrack, for the most part. "When a faster rider gets on your tail, pull over as fast as possible when it's safe to do so. If the faster rider has yelled for a pass on 3 occasions, and the slower rider hasn't pulled over when he's had an opportunity to do so...the slower rider is fair game".

banned
    Uhh, the one time I have ridden XC trails by myself was on my P.1 Cromo. It was about 6PM, overcast, but the trails were perfect. Nice and tacky. Perfect for fast, flowy singletrack on my K Rads.

I was going basically as fast as 32-14 on a 24" rear wheel would take me.

I saw this guy on a Superlight and I'm like great, first climb and he's gone. I came flying up on him, asked to get by and he just ignored me. So I kept running up on his ass to let him know I could pass. Still ignored me. Wide flat corner comes up and I come in, dead sprint. Back wheel came out faster than I expected so I controlled it. Took the guy's front wheel out and he nailed his head on a rock.

There's one XC'er who had a reason to wear a fullface and armor...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Uhh, the one time I have ridden XC trails by myself was on my P.1 Cromo. It was about 6PM, overcast, but the trails were perfect. Nice and tacky. Perfect for fast, flowy singletrack on my K Rads.

I was going basically as fast as 32-14 on a 24" rear wheel would take me.

I saw this guy on a Superlight and I'm like great, first climb and he's gone. I came flying up on him, asked to get by and he just ignored me. So I kept running up on his ass to let him know I could pass. Still ignored me. Wide flat corner comes up and I come in, dead sprint. Back wheel came out faster than I expected so I controlled it. Took the guy's front wheel out and he nailed his head on a rock.

That was my experience. The guy completely ignored me, then after about 3 times asking him he flipped me the bird not even looking back. So the trail opened up to fire road and he'd be swerving to not let me pass him.. so I late braked him, stuffed his front wheel, and rode away the next 100 ft on a straight away coasting with both fingers in the breeze just to be sure he saw me after eating sh!t.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Disco-Superfly
    I have only had to do this once and the guy completely stopped??? WTF... I said IM GOING LEFT... he stopped in the middle... But it turned out ok he let me by...

Dont stop in the middle, please
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    So when you're riding DH at a ski resort and you come up on someone, is it considered rude or something to ask to pass? Most people are pretty nice about it and yield the trail at the first opportunity. But some people make a big deal out of it.
    I wouldn't say you are asking to pass. You need to warn the bicyclist in front of you that you are passing on the left/right. I don't like it when suddenly somebody flys by me because at the moment he is going past me I could see a rock or something and have to move to that side of the trail causing a collision. If there is room to pass and the guy in front isn't moving so that you can pass, that's unfortunate but you shouldn't do anything dangerous because it will probably be your fault. The guy in front is rude and obnoxious, but that won't satisfy a judge when you are arguing you shouldn't have to pay damages to take care of a paraplegic for the rest of his life. Don't do anything stupid, and don't let other numbnuts posters here make you think it is okay to do stuff like that.
    "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" -- Mark Twain.

Disco-Superfly
    Sweet hubs help...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    Took the guy's front wheel out and he nailed his head on a rock.

Now that's some funny sh$$ !!!!

I've never had any problems while downhilling because most of the slow people crash every 50 ft or so anyways so I just wait till then to make my pass but XC riding with groups of people has proven very irritating lately. Lots of newbies to our club and they haven't learned that pit passing is forbidden. Nothing more frustrating then popping arteries going up hills only to ride the damn brakes behind traffic the whole way back down.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

the best of both worlds
    Nothing worse than the rider with headphones who can't hear you ask to pass on several occasions. Had to tangle bars with him to make my point. I said "on your right" so he swerved right in to me. I think I gave him a heart attack. Maybe next time he'll leave the ipod at home, or better yet, find somewhere else to ride slow.

not really a noob
    GET TEH FVCK OUTTA MY WAY works everytime
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasi
    I wouldn't say you are asking to pass. You need to warn the bicyclist in front of you that you are passing on the left/right. I don't like it when suddenly somebody flys by me because at the moment he is going past me I could see a rock or something and have to move to that side of the trail causing a collision. If there is room to pass and the guy in front isn't moving so that you can pass, that's unfortunate but you shouldn't do anything dangerous because it will probably be your fault. The guy in front is rude and obnoxious, but that won't satisfy a judge when you are arguing you shouldn't have to pay damages to take care of a paraplegic for the rest of his life. Don't do anything stupid, and don't let other numbnuts posters here make you think it is okay to do stuff like that.
    yah that assumes you're stupid enough to wait around for the guy at the bottom of the hill so he can ID you.
    and even still, its his word against yours. you could just as well say you've never seen the guy before, its not like he can id someone through armor and a fullface. And you're assuming he's got time to pay attention to what you look like or the bike you ride as he's falling on his chin. By the time he's looked up, you're gone.

TNC
    noMAD man

But Zonk...

yah that assumes you're stupid enough to wait around for the guy at the bottom of the hill so he can ID you.
    and even still, its his word against yours. you could just as well say you've never seen the guy before, its not like he can id someone through armor and a fullface. And you're assuming he's got time to pay attention to what you look like or the bike you ride as he's falling on his chin. By the time he's looked up, you're gone.
    You're telling me that the guy wouldn't recognize me in this stuff? I can hear it now..."officer, it was a very dashing young man in some really flashy DH gear...you won't be able to miss him."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasi

like I would wait around????...I think not

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    You're telling me that the guy wouldn't recognize me in this stuff? I can hear it now..."officer, it was a very dashing young man in some really flashy DH gear...you won't be able to miss him."
    owe i recognize that guy....he was the guy who sodomized and raped Ohio

banned
    like I would wait around????...I think not

If you waited around anymore....

I DUNNO. But you'd be waiting quite a lot.

TNC
    noMAD man

Oooooh! That ain't right!

owe i recognize that guy....he was the guy who sodomized and raped Ohio
    They need to open up a big ol' can of Banzor on you! Besides...according to EIO, houseguests at your place need to sleep with dinner plates in their drawers.

Innovate or die!
    THE KEY IS NOT TO BE A DICK

REPEAT: BE COOL

Just as dick is yelling or intimidating someone on a trail, becuase then they try to not let people pass from then on. I find on A-line, and most other fairly wider DOWNHILL trails, the best bet is often just blowing by someone at high speed with a safe margin. If you yell, they will usually swerve into your way and then you slow down and its impossible to pass. Try it sometime, its what the pros all do, no exceptions.

The key is just to be nice, your biking, and 2 seconds aint gonna kill ya.

Unless your in a race.

Then its chill to scream, kick, bite, and mention the guys mom in order to get by. Damn u people who don't move in a race.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Kyle Strait told me his race strategy of kicking the persons seatpost as you pass them by.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I think the three yells then there fair game is standard. but personally I have never had someone stay in the trail after three yells, then again allot of times I just stit back and follow there slow ass, you know find new lines, hit the rock booters, pull some skidders you know.
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I started riding DH last year and am still pretty slow. I ALWAYS pull over to the side or yield to let other riders pass, as I know I am slow and don't want to hold anyone up. My b/f keeps telling me that I shouldn't do that, the better rider can control their speed and if I pull over, I may surprise them since they aren't expecting that. Is this right? Regardless of what he says, I keep pulling off the trail or yielding if I find a good spot to do so. Any thoughts?
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

www.mtbnj.com

TNC
    noMAD man

You're doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Neen
    I started riding DH last year and am still pretty slow. I ALWAYS pull over to the side or yield to let other riders pass, as I know I am slow and don't want to hold anyone up. My b/f keeps telling me that I shouldn't do that, the better rider can control their speed and if I pull over, I may surprise them since they aren't expecting that. Is this right? Regardless of what he says, I keep pulling off the trail or yielding if I find a good spot to do so. Any thoughts?
    I touched on that "surprise" issue in my post above in a very few instances where the rider that I allowed to pass wasn't paying proper attention when I pulled over. That's the passing rider's problem. Unless I'm in some way forcing them into a crash or dangerous part of the trail, then they should be watching where they're going. It's as simple as that. Your courtesy is appropriate.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Do the riders where you ride say on your left/right? or do they just go by? If its the latter you might be better off just staying on the trail, or saying do you want to get by before making any agrupt movements.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Some do say "on your left/right", some just blow by. Like I said, I am SLOW, so I really just prefer to get the he!! outta the way and not hold anyone up. I suppose I could yell back "I'm getting out of your way now" before I move off the trail. :-)

www.mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    when I go on trail rides I'm usually one of the fastest riders, but by no means am I a fast DH rider. in fact, I'm pretty damn slow. it's kinda wired for me because I'm used to being a fast rider on the trails so when I'm on a DH run faster riders kind of surprise me. I will admit that I am a super competive rider and there's been 2 or 3 time where that's almost got me in trouble. 99% of the time I do my best to get out of the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Some do say "on your left/right", some just blow by. Like I said, I am SLOW, so I really just prefer to get the he!! outta the way and not hold anyone up. I suppose I could yell back "I'm getting out of your way now" before I move off the trail. :-)
    it's ok, if you've got breasts, you're pretty much exempt from anyone getting pissed off at you on the trail. Carry on with whatever you do, I assure you no one will be upset if they're stuck behind you for too long... unless of course you're built like a battleship.

Motion activated
    it's ok, if you've got breasts, you're pretty much exempt from anyone getting pissed off at you on the trail.
    I expect the lovely ladies to yield just as I would a guy. My wife knows to yield the trail to faster riders. When she’s stepping it up some and there's stuff on the trail that is above her comfort level she can stop or crash when people aren't expecting it. As a courtesy to other riders I make sure that I'm on the only rider behind her (giving her plenty of space), if someone comes up, I yell for her to yield at the same time. I don't let her ride trails that are way above her ability where she would be in the way. Girls on the trails are great, but not if they don't let me pass. I'd have no issues yielding the trail to a faster girl.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've had a situation where I was trying to get off the trail for someone and they were a complete ass. I was in a super highspeed section, and I was cruising it this run and someone came up behind me. Cruising this section I was still doing over 20 and needed to slow down to get off trail but they pretty much just ran me off the trail after about a second of braking. I'll get the hell out of the way, just give ample opportunity. Be nice to people out there, DHers get a bad rap already.

mtbr member
    I think the absolute worst ones are old chicken necked coots that decide to hike up a bike only dedicated downhill trail. I encountered one three times at winter park, first time I stop and ask if hes lost or needs help then I tell him that he needs to be carefull because this is a bike only trail and someone might not see him ( a great setup ). Next time down I almost clip him coming around a blind corner so I skid to a stop and chase after him cursing away and threatening to kick his ass.Third time I see him in plain view near the bottom of the trail on a really long fast fireroad type part. I shout lookout, so he turns around and steps ONTO the middle of the trail and stares at me. I then let fully let off the brakes and gave him a elbow and foot at 30 mph. He made my day.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel666
    chicken necked coots... and gave him a elbow and foot at 30 mph. He made my day.
    hahahaha that one made my day

mtbr member
    May 2006
    "Then there are the guys who decide it's a race when you ask to pass."''

Some old dude tried this on me the other day, I was racing to get back home to do things and I came up on this guy and his wife, older fuddy duddy looking types. I think hhaha this will be no problem to pass them. I had some difficulty coming up on them to pass and had to rage it to get past them. I kept pushing it to get some distance between me and them and at the point that my legs felt a bit tired I turned around to see the guy hauling ass and trying to like catch up, it was the 1st time someone on the trail tried that and so I pushed and pushed and I managed to ditch him but it was weird that dude sorta challenged me..

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel666
    I think the absolute worst ones are old chicken necked coots that decide to hike up a bike only dedicated downhill trail. I encountered one three times at winter park, first time I stop and ask if hes lost or needs help then I tell him that he needs to be carefull because this is a bike only trail and someone might not see him ( a great setup ). Next time down I almost clip him coming around a blind corner so I skid to a stop and chase after him cursing away and threatening to kick his ass.Third time I see him in plain view near the bottom of the trail on a really long fast fireroad type part. I shout lookout, so he turns around and steps ONTO the middle of the trail and stares at me. I then let fully let off the brakes and gave him a elbow and foot at 30 mph. He made my day.
    I have done highspeed elbows, but on the MX bike....
    We would have to ride through sub-urban roads to get to the trails, and there would be idiots actually trying to rip you off your bike... So you have to dodge them and usually keep speed (5th gear+) and give them a huge elbow, sure it hurts but it knocks the wind out of them.... Who is that stupid to stand in front of a speeding motorcycle... It has happened multiple times, and each time, I won
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    We would have to ride through sub-urban roads to get to the trails, and there would be idiots actually trying to rip you off your bike... So you have to dodge them and usually keep speed (5th gear+) and give them a huge elbow, sure it hurts but it knocks the wind out of them.... Who is that stupid to stand in front of a speeding motorcycle... It has happened multiple times, and each time, I won
    dude, that's what lead pipes, and chains are for.

TNC
    noMAD man

Damn Jake...

Where are you riding your dirt motor?...Iraq?

evs
    mtbr member
    Human jousting :-) Can you spare him with a straight leg in the gut or would it make you crash. Dam, I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of that one.
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    My thinking is that if a person isn't considerate enough to yield when asked, I'm not going to be too concerned about hurting his feelings while I'm passing.

If a faster rider came up behind me, chances are that I would let him by before he needed to ask - I don't want to be the d*ck ruining someone else's flow - I expect similar treatment.

As for those who refuse to move, I was close enough to the last guy's tire that it brushed up my forearm as the rider was going over the bars after stuffing his front tire into a root midcorner at speed. He was one of those friend of a friend types who couldn't get it through his thick head that we weren't racing. The best part is that, after the fact, he claimed that I sent him over the bars with my forearm - like he was going to ride it out or something before I hit him. Regardless, I was able to pass him easily as he went down
    Now with more vitriol!

Schmeow Productions
    I say to your right or left....if they don't pull to the side (when it is safe) and you see them trying to race you a little...I will get on their tail and start making whooping noises.....usually they bail....and that is the best part......just remember to get on them tight, hoot and hollar, then back off a little to give them room to bail....
    you can pass people?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    you can pass people?
    as long as it's not up hill

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Now thats pretty funny. Although with all that gear on, who can really tell if they are following a girl? Although I'm pretty sure I'm not built like a battleship......kayak maybe :-)

www.mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Now thats pretty funny. Although with all that gear on, who can really tell if they are following a girl? Although I'm pretty sure I'm not built like a battleship......kayak maybe :-)
    it's all in the "hips"

...idios...
    "I will get on their tail and start making whooping noises.....usually they bail....and that is the best part......just remember to get on them tight, hoot and hollar, then back off a little to give them room to bail...."

Are you a professional a$$hole, or just a gifted amateur?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

3.14159265358979323846…
    I'm gonna use that... Thanks SMT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Steve,

It really depends on the trail, the rider in front of you and your passing skills. I've been riding the bike park for 5 or 6 years now and this is one of those topics that comes up on nsmb every year with regard to A-Line because there are total morons that will try to pass in the worst possible spots up there. There are also people that shouldn't be riding that trail, but that's another topic. In general, on that trail or other fast, flowy trails, I first try to avoid slow folks when I enter the top or middle section by giving anyone that enters in front of me some time before I head down so I don't ride up their asses. I know these trails well enough that I can pretty much rail them, so I don't take any joy in coming up on slow riders.....it ruins my buzz and theirs, so I just give those folks space when I see them entering in front of me.

Inevitably though, I usually catch someone on A Line, Freight Train or Dirt Merchant. When that happens, I give them some space while still making enough noise to let them know someone's behind them and then try to give them an "on your left" when there's a good, safe spot to pass. If someone catches me, I let them by when it makes sense, but I don't pull over in dumb spots. There are some super fast mofo's up in Whistler and I have no illusions that I'm the fastest person on the hill....so I'm fine with letting a ripper go past me when it makes sense to let them by.

On blue/green trails like B-Line, Fantastik or Heart of Darkness, I don't try to pass people unless they let me by. The reason is that those trails are made for beginners and not for advanced folks to be riding up on their asses. Nothing chaps my hide worse than seeing a train of idiots passing a beginner on these trails. If you want to ride fast, then hop on freight train or something with some challenge to it.....these trails are for the folks who are just getting their feet wet in the park. If I see someone pulling one of these maneuvers on a beginner trail, I'll catch up with them and give them an earful.

Anyway, that's my take on it. You can some of the rants of the BC folks here.

Cheers,
    EBX
    Man, that post is BANG ON. I'll add further to that:

If you're riding A-line or DM on the weekend, forget your racer boy - cooler than thou attitude at home. These trails are invariably filled with a mix of riders - some fast and some slow. If you really want to practice for the World Cup DH circuit then come up mid week. If you're job prohibits you from riding mid week, then you're not as fast as you think you are so don't be a dick on the trail. Pretty simple.

Pass when it's smart. A-line in particular is broken into several sections, so if you catch up to someone, just hang out until the section ends (and they'll enevitably stop) and pass them then.

The other weekend I was sweeping for a mountain biking camp (sanctioned by Whistler Mountain) on A-line and I heard someone come up behind us - I asked him NOT to pass: mainly because it was dangerous, and there were all of two corners left until the next wide open area. Of course he did. I should have rammed him off into the trees, but elected not to. That being said, that has happened before - a friend got to witness someone try to inappropriately pass another rider (in the middle of a table top) and the rider being passed shoved the passing guy off the trail into the trees. He hit hard and ended up pretty injured (wrecked shoulder or broken arm or something - don't remember the details). Definitely excessive, but probably not un-called for.

Be smart, remember that people are up there to have fun and if you really NEED to ride fast, find a trail that's not heavily used or go when the trails aren't going to be full.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Sweet hubs help...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz
    Lol - the ANGRY BEE!

Oh ya - just wanted to add to my above post: that was mainly meant for busy bike park riding.

For regular trails, it's a bit of give and take. We have simple rules on the shore:

"Who ever has the flow, get's to go."

So, this means that if you're in the front and you baulk or crash, then don't get up in the middle of the trail again blocking everyone behind you. ARRRGGGGGG that makes me mad. Let everyone who's behind you and riding get by then pick up your bike and start again when there's a break. If you want to clean a long section and ride fast, then:

-start first and ride hard
    -wait long enough that you're not going to catch up to anyone in front of you.
    -ride at a time when the trails aren't busy

It's pretty simple really, but amazing how many people DON'T get it. I especially hate those people that always have to be at the front yet they are some of the slower riders our there. I've pretty much eliminated riding with all of them because they really tick me off.

I remember a friend asking to go ahead of a female rider I know on Original Sin a couple of seasons ago on upper Whistler not realizing that she was a WAY faster and more competent rider than he was. He didn't want to be "held up". She - although severly pissed at the assumption that because she was a girl and hence must be slow - said OK, then road his wheel the whole way down. When we ented the steeper sections in Goat's Gulley, she (at 115 pounds vs. ~200 pounds) stuffed him into the one tight / steep right corner and dropped him like a rock - Beautiful!
    Last edited by knollybikes.com; 07-07-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "I will get on their tail and start making whooping noises.....usually they bail....and that is the best part......just remember to get on them tight, hoot and hollar, then back off a little to give them room to bail...."

Are you a professional a$$hole, or just a gifted amateur?
    Gifted amateur, no one in their right mind would give him a dime. But I still like him more than you.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Where are you riding your dirt motor?...Iraq?
    Pretty much.... I dont know people are just NUTS... You will never catch me trying to stop a 250 MX bike screaming down the road, no matter how much alcohol you can fit in me...
    (its beucase we go up and down the road a few times in the ride) and you can hear us the whole time we are in the trails...

I think they are just concerned becusae they have kids playing in the yard.... but im not f*ckin blind....I can slow down/ stop for kids.... And its not like the kids are 3 years old and crawl out in front of the road, they are like 10+years...

Crazy people....

EDIT: oh yeah and they threaten you by using the oldest trick in the book " the cops are on the way".... Never once have I seen them after these people being out and a couple hours of street roaming
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Neen and others like me that get passed, on my street moto I will point to which side I want the rider to pass me on or hang that foot off the peg and move in the opposite direction. It's worked fine every time and I'm pretty damn good at getting passed now.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

Members who have read this thread: 0