Parts list - Lightest DH capable components?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Parts list - Lightest DH capable components?

In the weight weenie category of DH riders, let's get a parts list together of what the lightest DH capable parts are on the market.

Mostly, I'm just interested in where I can trim some fat off of my rig, but maybe some others can benefit as well.

So, what can we buy for pure DH use?

Pedals?
    Cranks/Bash/Guides?
    Fork (Coil/Air)?
    Shock (Coil/Air)?
    Bars?
    Wheels?
    Brakes?
    Frames?

slap happy
    awesome... i was thinking of starting a thread with a similar subject. now i don't need to

if i can't get my cuervo down to around 38 lbs i may just get another frame to build up. love the cuervo, hate how heavy it is.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    In the weight weenie category of DH riders, let's get a parts list together of what the lightest DH capable parts are on the market.

Mostly, I'm just interested in where I can trim some fat off of my rig, but maybe some others can benefit as well.

Pedals - Twenty 6 prerunner ti's
    Cranks/Bash/Guides? Middleburn cranks, MRP SL or e13 lg1+ (lighter options on guides but these ones are solid)
    Fork (Coil/Air)? Boxxer WC air
    Shock (Coil/Air)? Vivid air
    Bars? Enve Carbon DH bars
    Wheels? Industry nine???
    Brakes? Formula The ones
    Frames?
    Not worth worrying about weight too much. Go with the suspension/design you like best and lighten other parts

Moose Member
    to make your bike as light as possible, dont put any components on it... the weigh too much!

jk but fo real brah, Air suspension is better for weight, but dont comprimise how the bike rides because you want it to be light....

X-Fusion is coming out with the lightest DH airshock in november, the Vector Air, not sure how it rides though. I'd imagine its great though!

Right now though, Vivid Air=Win, but i'd like to try the CCDB air as well...

Come at me bro.
    superstar pedals w/ ti spindle
    ztr flow rims
    enve bars
    tioga dspyder seat
    boxxer wc or a fox float if u only need 180mm
    vivid air
    speccy sx casing tires if you find the 1.5ply suitable for your riding
    xc tubes

Look at the time!
    Depends on where and how you ride, how much you weigh, how smooth you are etc.

For example, some people can run single ply EXO tires on the front wheel. Others pinch flat even the double plys. Some people will get away with ZTR flow rims, others will make them look like a STOP sign after two rides.
    Run Ti/Mag pedals on a frame with low BB on a pedally, rocky course and you won't have much left to put your feet on by the time you reach the bottom. Other places they last for years. And so on.

Personally, as soon as a part makes me think twice about taking a certain line or hitting something I otherwise would, it is no longer DH capable.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post

Pedals? superstar ti
    Cranks/Bash/Guides? clavicula dh carbon crank mrp g2 carbon backplate
    Fork (Coil/Air)? boxxer world cup with avalanche cart and chunked stemcrown - 2710g
    Shock (Coil/Air)? ccdb air
    Bars? enve carbon
    Wheels? heaston havoc dh 1850 g or wait for havoc carbon dh that will be ~200g less
    Brakes? formula R0
    Frames?
    Session 9.9/Antidote lifeline carbon

Look up Christiaan's carbon v10 here or on ridemonkey. Most of the parts people list here are fairly heavy
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drastic. View Post
    superstar pedals w/ ti spindle
    Mine snapped, dont buy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree completely, its all relative to many factors. I use Crossmax SX rims because I"m too old to take the stuff that would require a serious DH rim for every ride AND I'm only 140 pounds of load. Now when I go back to Whistler, I'll take some Canfield DH hoops.

I can get by with 50% less strenght compared to a 210 pound clyde on the same frame.
    And the best part is the lighter everything is the lighter duty the parts can be

Also it should be said that bolt on weight saving is kinda silly when you can buy a 36 pound V-10. I've put $4000 worth of the lightest AM parts on a $500 frame just to save 3 pounds...not really very smart. Could have spend $1500 on the parts and $2500 on a CF frameset and really saved some weight. Of course right now that doesnt apply to DH very well as there arent many CF frames.

Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Depends on where and how you ride, how much you weigh, how smooth you are etc.

For example, some people can run single ply EXO tires on the front wheel. Others pinch flat even the double plys. Some people will get away with ZTR flow rims, others will make them look like a STOP sign after two rides.
    Run Ti/Mag pedals on a frame with low BB on a pedally, rocky course and you won't have much left to put your feet on by the time you reach the bottom. Other places they last for years. And so on.

Personally, as soon as a part makes me think twice about taking a certain line or hitting something I otherwise would, it is no longer DH capable.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs