Pallet Ladders- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pallet Ladders

18 years old
    Feb 2005

Pallet Ladders

anyone ever use pallets to make ladders? i think it would be perfect, just a little bit wide tho
    Last edited by DeadlyStryker; 05-28-2005 at 07:13 PM. Reason: put in picture
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

Cut one side off. Run 2x4s through the remaining part and you've got a section ready to go. Alternatively you can deconstruct the whole thing and use the wood however you want. Takes a bit of work and a lot of nail pulling, but cheap if you get the pallets for free. Also doesn't last too well.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Not strong enough. They work for a while then tend to break apart.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not strong enough. They work for a while then tend to break apart.

agree very weak///usually made out of the cheaPEST wood
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I love me some pallets, hardcore! For real.

Try to get pallets that they use to deliver washing machines or fridges and the like. I got 2 the other day and they are damn strong. The sides are made of 3x3" wood, and the tops are stronger wood that is about 3/4" thick. These pallets weighed about 40 pounds each. Tore them both apart to make bridges over some streams.

Some pallets do suck and are weak. Keep your eyes peeled for stronger ones. Use a little common sense, if the wood is thin or rotten, don't use them. They come in all shapes and grades.

Use em like BikeMK said. Cut then in half and run a 2x4 for the sides. Every stunt, bridge and ladder on my trails are made from pallets. Still going strong after about 5 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leeann Tweeden is looking for me.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStryker
    anyone ever use pallets to make ladders? i think it would be perfect, just a little bit wide tho
    I won't say it won't work or don't do it, but as a trail manager, crew leader and home owner, I've learned to do things right the first time. Most trail work done right the first time lasts. Poor work really becomes a problem when you are trying to work on new things and have to dedicate time to fix old stuff.

Another strong reason to do things right the first time is that I see both private and public property managers notice and those who are not on your side seem to notice even more.

Where you live might have an influence. If you're in a dry climate poor quality wood will last longer.

One more tip is to remove bark when you use natural branches and logs because it delays rotting.

Check out the IMBA and Whistler resources for trails if you're serious about this stuff. You will get good ideas ranging from the right way to make things to the right way to keep and gain new land use privileges.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    i agree with fishleg i use pallets and i went and got the really strong ones and they work perfectly!! they also dont take that long to make.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBlueJoker
    i agree with fishleg i use pallets and i went and got the really strong ones and they work perfectly!! they also dont take that long to make.
    ahhahahhahah nate crashed off a foot drop, hahahhaa
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net

mtbr member
    Pallets make good launching ramps if you ride up the middle of it where it's the strongest. Riding the unstupported sides will make it break. The great thing is that they are free and easy to move around and build with. They also make good sources of planks for stunts.

NEVER USE THEM FOR LANDINGS!!!!!!

kona-tize me captain
    i dont care what anyone says, if u get a good thick pallet board they are strong. plus my local dump recycles them. they have a pile of them as big as a house and there free. i just got 10 of em for a wooden wall ride, ill show pics when its finished
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

T.Dot Represent
    i work at a canadian tire and we use pallets they are tough as nails. i ahd 2 545 pound swiming pools on one pallet and the pump truck struggled to move it and the pallet didnt break!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle