painful crash this weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

painful crash this weekend

Made a jump but didn't have quite enough speed and the rear tire might have hung up just enough. 8ft to landing, rock was 6 ft out of the ground. (guessing)
    Ended up with a broken wrist and my lower back hit a rock, just below my spine protector. very difficult to walk and have to see an orthopedic surgeon to determine if there are spinal fractures or the wrist needs surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZNV0...layer_embedded

mtbr member
    i did pretty much the exact same thing at the start of last year- i ended up with a messed up knee for a month or so but that was it- hope the recovery goes well!

brake later, pedal sooner
    damn that sucks, but you definately were going way too slow... almost looks like you were dragging your rear brake a little bit too - which will make your front end drop with the quickness.

im glad you had a spine protector on!! and thats a drop, not a jump

I gotta pee
    Definitely looked like you had brakes on while coming off the lip. Thats a big time no no. Try doing a wheelie with your brakes on, its going to go about as well as that drop did. Healing vibes though man, next time you hit that, no brakes!

Pivotal figure
    Oh man, more speed for sure. That's an easy way to get a spinal injury...Hope things work out for you.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    That looked painful! I hope no surgeries are needed.

mtbr member
    Yikes!!! That's no good at all.
    I hope you're ok.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    who cares about the wrist and back. is the bike ok?

C S
    mtbr member
    Damn, man.. hope you heal up soon! Like the other guys have said, looked like you rode your rear brake off the edge and that flipped you. Did almost the same thing (minus the brake, just went too slow) about this time last year, except I got lucky and walked away with with a broken helmet and no injuries. Have you had any xrays yet?

Professional Troll
    Wow, thats pretty brutal. Looks like you got lucky and didn't come down right on your neck.

the test dummy
    oh bummer man that sucks, i bet you will be thinking about hitting it again the whole time you are healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Didn't have the rear brake on, I always take my fingers completely off the brakes. I think the rear tire hit a root and was just enough to screw me.

yeah, uh............bikes
    ouch. what was the weird brake-like sound while you were on the approach??

Commit or eat sh!t
    Damn, hope you heal fast

Glad to Be Alive
    healing vibes to u

nodejitsu
    Hope you heal quick.

banned

mtbr member
    sounds like you have these beads in your spokes:

j/k man, looked like it hurt...best of luck with the recovery process!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Speed is your friend! Looks like you were just going too slow!

Heal up!

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexchannell
    Made a jump but didn't have quite enough speed and the rear tire might have hung up just enough. 8ft to landing, rock was 6 ft out of the ground. (guessing)
    Ended up with a broken wrist and my lower back hit a rock, just below my spine protector. very difficult to walk and have to see an orthopedic surgeon to determine if there are spinal fractures or the wrist needs surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZNV0...layer_embedded
    embedded:
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cZNV0LjBtvY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cZNV0LjBtvY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Holly Ouch! That was a rough one man, hope you heal up quick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ouch......
    love the end bit oooooohhhh are you ok followed by a faint aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggh .
    hope you not to badly hurt mate, looked like a pretty hard face plant,
    next time remember off the brakes and commit, if you arent going fast enough remember to lunge the bike forward, it looked to me as though you still had your rear brake on as you went over, thats never a good thing as you found out. hope this hasnt put you off, get well soon, then get back out there and bury that demon,

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    ouch. what was the weird brake-like sound while you were on the approach??
    that was the classic juicy 7 "warble" sound. new bike, rotor, and pads and it still does it.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, maybe I held the rear brake without realizing it, would be a first though.
    Lucky my wife is am MD as well as her dad (videoing) so I'm taken care of. Seeing the orthopedic surgeon today.

2010 Glory custom FR
    alexchannell, you nearly stopped at the egde! :O
    Sorry I laugh, especially, that I did the same once or twice. Fortunately I just waked away with some bruises...
    It's easier to go further on a faster step-down, that lift front end at the low speed.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Yeah that looked like a brake check for sure, pulled the front and accidently tapped the rear brake...
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member

I don't see brake check

I see your whole body weight moving toward the rear of the bike prematurely. Hense the bucking off and foward of your crash.
    You should have let the bike dictate your rear ward movement. Your timing was off.

That's my armchair quarterbacking for the moment....
    I'm GNARcissistic

Wanna ride bikes?
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qDbmsjnOQNc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qDbmsjnOQNc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

We all fall sometimes.....

I hate days when you just can't seem to do anything right....

mtbr member
    I did that exact same thing once. I ended up cracking a rib and messing up a finger. I felt fortunate given how hard I hit the ground. For me it was a combination of siting my landing too short and too little speed. If I had sited my landing further out I could have thrown the bike out in front of me. I'm pretty sure I panicked when I didn't have the speed and tried to land as quickly as possibly instead of as safely as possible. Heal up quick and go out there and hit again otherwise it'll be in your head forever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    I see your whole body weight moving toward the rear of the bike prematurely. Hense the bucking off and foward of your crash.
    You should have let the bike dictate your rear ward movement. Your timing was off.

That's my armchair quarterbacking for the moment....
    mostly this. It looks like you actually contact the tire with your backside right before the front tire goes off with too little speed, and you didn't compress the suspension for the take off. As others have said, this is more like a slow speed drop than jump.

Also it looks like the bike hits you as you flip, hopefully that is the cause or your lumbar pain and you are ok. I got a Leatt for xmas, and this helps solidify the importance of spinal protection for me, thanks for that anyway!!!

Heal up well
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I think I was a little unlucky (although i'm still walking so maybe lucky) hitting that rock half way down. I think i did a lot of things just a little wrong and they added up enough to get me.
    Back still kills, hand feels fine. Going to a hand surgeon to day to determine if I will need surgery. Being that the fracture is at a joint, it would be easy for my hand to be messed up for life.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Made a jump but didn't have quite enough speed and the rear tire might have hung up just enough.v=cZNV0LjBtvY&feature=player_embedded[/url]
    I'll say you didn't have enough speed. Agree with the others, let off your brakes!

Heal up soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well I'll be getting surgery on my hand, no word on the back yet. Feeling high on pain meds right now. Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Glad to Be Alive
    Well I'll be getting surgery on my hand, no word on the back yet. Feeling high on pain meds right now. Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

man sorry to hear...get well quick and do what doc says

mtbr member
    I think I was a little unlucky (although i'm still walking so maybe lucky) hitting that rock half way down. I think i did a lot of things just a little wrong and they added up enough to get me.
    Back still kills, hand feels fine. Going to a hand surgeon to day to determine if I will need surgery. Being that the fracture is at a joint, it would be easy for my hand to be messed up for life.

Ugg! That is a Salter Harris Type III. I agree, that is going to need surgery. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take it easy on the pain meds, pain keeps you from re-injuring or overdoing things. Get some decent PT. Do everything you should, and you will be back stronger than ever. Seriously, you should be stronger than when you started. Good Luck!
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    The worst thing you can do is get back on the wrist too early and reinjure it (even more than before, and/or permanently) so do let it heal... I suggest model railway construction for the meantime :P

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kipdrunner
    The worst thing you can do is get back on the wrist too early and reinjure it (even more than before, and/or permanently) so do let it heal... I suggest model railway construction for the meantime :P
    Noooo, he should play Minecraft.. its crazy fun!!

"No Clue Crew"
    Man, that sure sucks to hear. I hope you heal fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    MRI tomorrow, didn't need any pain meds today, hopefully that is a good sign. I was up and walking around all day without much discomfort. Still lots of swelling in the back but it feels way better.

Busted the reverb post's hydraulic nipple barb thingy and tweaked the brake hose.

(ironically, I got the mountain bike since my wife and I thought it would be safer than my motorcycle)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    Ugg! That is a Salter Harris Type III. I agree, that is going to need surgery. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take it easy on the pain meds, pain keeps you from re-injuring or overdoing things. Get some decent PT. Do everything you should, and you will be back stronger than ever. Seriously, you should be stronger than when you started. Good Luck!
    Yep, need th surgery. Scheduled for Monday. Only one screw needed and supposedly in an easy spot to get to.

brake later, pedal sooner
    "(ironically, I got the mountain bike since my wife and I thought it would be safer than my motorcycle)"

haha..same with my wife. and i have been injured way more in mountain biking in 1 year than 9 years on sport bikes. go figure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf
    "(ironically, I got the mountain bike since my wife and I thought it would be safer than my motorcycle)"

haha..same with my wife. and i have been injured way more in mountain biking in 1 year than 9 years on sport bikes. go figure.
    Haha, I've gotten this injury and a plate+6 screws from mountain biking. Sportbikes....a little patch of road rash and a sprained ankle in years of racing, trackdays and general hooliganism. Typically few people die from crashing mountain bikes though

Members who have read this thread: 0