outfitting a nomad for downhill/freeride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

outfitting a nomad for downhill/freeride

Hey Folks!

I have a Nomad that I would like to make beefier for Downhill/Freeride, specifically for riding Diablo Freeride Park. It currently has a (2005? It's brown) Fox Talas 36 RC2 and Maxxis High Roller 2.35 tires. I struggle doing the rock trails, find it too bouncy and have to handle. I was thinking of putting bigger tires on it, possibly 2.5 in the back and 2.7 in the front, is this overkill? I believe my fork has 150mm of travel and it should be enough, I don't have the budget for another fork. Although I hardly find a single crown fork on the lifts. The other parts I'm happy with, I'd just like a little more control going down, of course most of it is lack of skill but I'll take all the help I can get. Thanks in advance. I'm also going to fiddle with the rebound adjustment so it absorbs the harder impact more. Take care.

Rob

mtbr member
    Ge some 2.5" tires, maybe run them at a lower PSI and have someone inteligent dial in your suspension. You will be fine
    Make sure your rear spring is not to stiff, I see lots of people that ride w/ not enough sag. If you want to trail ride and DH you may have to swap springs for each kind of riding. Or preload might work

mtbr member
    do you have a coil or air, if air get a dhx air 5.0 thats a great rear shock

Glad to Be Alive
    sell your fork and buy a used fork for around 250 to 400
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Not that this is in your budget, but some dude on Ridemonkey fitted an Avalanche shock and a 888 on his Nomad...he said it worked great and actually looked pretty good. I'm too lazy to post the link, but those frames can take a pounding.

Seriously, that fork you have can take some punishment. I have the same one on my SX and I can rail the gnarliest trails around my area. I've even done some drops on it, no problem. A dude I ride with has one as well and he is FAST.

Rip it up
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

got the dhx air 5.0 in the rear

Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    do you have a coil or air, if air get a dhx air 5.0 thats a great rear shock
    Yep, I do have the DHX, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

i don't get your suggestion???

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I have a very expensive and greatly reviewed fork, what are you saying I should buy for $250 to $400?

Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Not that this is in your budget, but some dude on Ridemonkey fitted an Avalanche shock and a 888 on his Nomad...he said it worked great and actually looked pretty good. I'm too lazy to post the link, but those frames can take a pounding.

Seriously, that fork you have can take some punishment. I have the same one on my SX and I can rail the gnarliest trails around my area. I've even done some drops on it, no problem. A dude I ride with has one as well and he is FAST.

Rip it up
    thanks kavu see the talas 36 isnt bad at all, it can take some abuse, not like 20 foot drops or anything but it still has the fox dampening and its freakin awesome

Supremely Unco-ordinated
    Sticky compound 2.5 tyres running low PSI will do you fine... and I'd also agree that the fork is pretty solid - see if you can get your suspension is dialled in (for *your* weight) by someone who knows DH suspension setups inside out. That'll be a good start.
    Post your youtube mountain bike videos and they'll be included in our interactive World MTB video map!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    Ge some 2.5" tires, maybe run them at a lower PSI and have someone inteligent dial in your suspension.
    This is good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers
    This is lame advice.

Your bike is plenty beefy. Last weekend I downhilled at Killington on my 5" front, 4" rear XC bike (Turner XCE w/2003 Fox Talas and 2.35 Minions.) Before I went I greased the rear pivots and oiled the foam rings on my fork.Then I checked and set the tire pressure, and checked and set suspension sag for downhill conditions. There are obvious limitations to using this bike for DH, but it felt pretty supple (not bouncy at all) and absorbed all but the biggest hits. I had no fear of letting it run over rocks, roots, etc. I had a blast.

Learn how your suspension works: how to maintain it and set it up properly for your weight, riding style, and terrain. Maybe enlist an experienced friend or take it to a bike shop the first time around, but watch what they do and and ask questions. When you get to the mountain, take some runs and make adjustments one at a time, until it feels the way you want. Once you get it dialed in, write down the settings (air pressure, # of clicks rebound, etc) so you can check and adjust as necessary before you go out the next time. Hope this helps.

Freeriding Feline
    Rob:

Not sure if I've seen you at Diablo or not...
    The set up sounds awesome as far as fork/shock goes. The 2.5 tires are fine, I run about 32 psi at Diablo.
    I'm seeing more DHX Air shocks there too, but I have the coil and like that feel for that park. I have the air on my trail bike and run a pretty high pressure on it.
    Maybe I'll see you! Have a good weekend!

Kat
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

thanks for the great advice

I'm beginning to get the feeling that my suspension is not dialed in. I'm running the same settings for the past 6 months, when I started riding in NorCal, travelled to Moab, then Fruita and Colorado and now living in PA, and riding Diablo. I know that I should be fiddling with the suspension and haven't, thus the poor performance on the big rocks and really bumpy rides. I'll look at the settings and take it to a shop so I can learn to make "on the trail" adjustments myself. Thanks again to everyone. I've been looking at ads from Santa Cruz and their riders seem to be doing plenty of rough stuff with the same set up so I should be able to do the same. I'm going to upgrade to 2.5's and see how it goes. Thanks again to everyone who've provided a good response. Take care and ride safe.

Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    (Quote) of course most of it is lack of skill but I'll take all the help I can get. Thanks in advance. I'm also going to fiddle with the rebound adjustment so it absorbs the harder impact more -

Save your money. Start by tuning the suspension - read online, ask fellow riders and experiment. Your rebound statment is a little off. Lack of skill will cause problems far before your current setup goes. Most can benfit from larger tires w/ a softer compound.

Members who have read this thread: 0