Our race track is being bulldozed.- Mtbr.com
    Look at the time!

Our race track is being bulldozed.

Well apparently, having the cities approval to build and maintain a legal DH race track doesn't mean $h!t in Australia.
    The Townsville Mt. Stuart DH Track has been around for years and is used every year for the Queensland DH State championships. It runs, or better: it used to run in a narrow corridor between an Army fence and a road, leading to a radio tower and a lookout on top of Mt. Stuart, Townsville.

Today, riders were confronted with excavators at the base of the track. The city has apparently approved a Vodafone fiber-optic cable to be installed in the same corridor. The track will essentially be flattened and turned into a 4WD access track.

The outrage here is that nobody was told about this. The track is run by a club, it is signed, has fencing and everything. Hundreds or thousands of hours of work have gone into this over the years. It is the only legal DH track within about 200 miles.
    There was even a workday planned for next weekend for an upcoming race.

The first anyone heard about this was today when the bulldozers showed up.
    Last edited by lelebebbel; 08-21-2011 at 03:24 AM.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    sounds like $$$$ talks.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Well apparently, having the cities approval to build and maintain a legal DH race track doesn't mean $h!t in Australia.
    The Townsville Mt. Stuart DH Track has been around for years and is used every year for the Queensland DH State championships. It runs, or better: it used to run in a narrow corridor between an Army fence and a road, leading to a radio tower and a lookout on top of Mt. Stuart, Townsville.

Today, riders were confronted with excavators at the base of the track. The city has apparently approved a Vodafone fiber-optic cable to be installed in the same corridor. The track will essentially be flattened and turned into a 4WD access track.

The outrage here is that nobody was told about this. The track is run by a club, it is signed, has fencing and everything. Hundreds or thousands of hours of work have gone into this over the years. It is the only legal DH track within about 200 miles.
    There was even a workday planned for next weekend for an upcoming race.

The first anyone heard about this was today when the bulldozers showed up.

hey!, ask the city why they aren't forcing the cable to be installed by directional boring. this is a method of placing conduit for fiber optics where it is basically drilled/pushed under the ground. you need very small excavations (maybe 6'x6') on either side of the bore run, and it means you don't have to flatten anything.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Pivotal figure
    I'm guessing it comes down to the $$ thing. Cheaper to just dig a trench and backfill than to bore.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Now with More Wood
    Vodaphone vs. local DH club. Duh.

Really sucks that the world has to be run this way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    I'm guessing it comes down to the $$ thing. Cheaper to just dig a trench and backfill than to bore.
    Ed Zachary.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    hey!, ask the city why they aren't forcing the cable to be installed by directional boring. this is a method of placing conduit for fiber optics where it is basically drilled/pushed under the ground. you need very small excavations (maybe 6'x6') on either side of the bore run, and it means you don't have to flatten anything.
    True dat, but if the dozers are on site it's way too late now.
    Condolences, that really sucks.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Mobile companies pay money for the site - somebody is getting paid. Mobile sites need access roads for service engineers so it not just about running cable.

Beaurocracy sucks piles.
    I just want to ride.

Perpetual Hack
    ...ya but something tells me that if it was a golf course and not a DH track in the exact same circumstances that things would be a lot different...

I would be asking some formal questions though - especially if this place has a history of high level sanctioned events...

My condolences.

michael

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    ...ya but something tells me that if it was a golf course and not a DH track in the exact same circumstances that things would be a lot different...
    Apples and oranges...of course (no pun intended) it would be different. A golf course would take up 10 times the acreage and would actually generate an income.

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Apples and oranges...of course (no pun intended) it would be different. A golf course would take up 10 times the acreage and would actually generate an income.

..maybe a poor anology due to the size, but I do think you got my point.

and an income has nothing to do with it. It is not a city facility, only on city land and sanctioned by the city. Maybe it could have been a volunteer camp / day-camp for _______ youth.

Do you think the same would happen? I don't. The bad PR alone would be brutal.

The point is, the city gave them permission and knew what was there and that it is used for large sanctioned events. It is not just the back empty lot with a bunch of 13 year olds with a broken shovel.

Some notice and a consult would have been the correct thing to do.

michael

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    ..maybe a poor anology due to the size, but I do think you got my point.

and an income has nothing to do with it. It is not a city facility, only on city land and sanctioned by the city. Maybe it could have been a volunteer camp / day-camp for _______ youth.

Do you think the same would happen? I don't. The bad PR alone would be brutal.

The point is, the city gave them permission and knew what was there and that it is used for large sanctioned events. It is not just the back empty lot with a bunch of 13 year olds with a broken shovel.

Some notice and a consult would have been the correct thing to do.

michael
    Oh, I fully agree the city did some screwing and again, condolences to those that lost their DH course.

Look at the time!
    Well, surprisingly after flattening the bottom third of the track yesterday, work has stopped today as some hard questions are being asked. Rumor has it that the council didn't actually approve this. Don't ask me how that works, all I know is someone must have screwed up big time.

This will get interesting, we might not be fighting a losing battle here.

Glad to Be Alive
    that sucks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Yes, that's fonetic
    Well, surprisingly after flattening the bottom third of the track yesterday, work has stopped today as some hard questions are being asked. Rumor has it that the council didn't actually approve this. Don't ask me how that works, all I know is someone must have screwed up big time.

This will get interesting, we might not be fighting a losing battle here.
    Great news (I hope)! I guess the wheels of justice sometimes turn at an acceptably rapid pace.

Roll on Spring Time!
    So what they doing with the dozers. I am thinking if they pull the plug you need compensation and some digging equipment time could be a fair price. I see huge berms and wicked jumps as pay back eh?
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry to hear about the troubles...but sounds pretty typical (a. vodafone vs DH, b. government stuff up). I was thinking pretty seriously about getting a DH bike...but with so few venues in Qld I'll be using the money for a trip to Whistler instead.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo View Post
    Mobile companies pay money for the site - somebody is getting paid. Mobile sites need access roads for service engineers so it not just about running cable.

Beaurocracy sucks piles.

This is true. Some oganizations can rally sympathy support from people by showing images of beat down animals with crusty faces and playing sad music, a bunch of dudes on $4k bikes talking about land that was donated to them for a period of time aint gonna get it.

Look at the time!
    Update: Good news

The club has held a few meetings with the city council and the construction company, and they have actually managed to convince them to change the cable routing!

They are now re-routing the cable on the other side of the road. They also fixed the bottom part of our track with their machines after putting the cable through. Quite a bit of shovel work will still be required to re-shape berms and get it close to where it was, but overall it looks like this will have a positive outcome.

Moose Member
    Update: Good news

The club has held a few meetings with the city council and the construction company, and they have actually managed to convince them to change the cable routing!

They are now re-routing the cable on the other side of the road. They also fixed the bottom part of our track with their machines after putting the cable through. Quite a bit of shovel work will still be required to re-shape berms and get it close to where it was, but overall it looks like this will have a positive outcome.
    Good news! i was pretty sad for you when i first read this, sounds like you guys got it all worked out. Sounds like the construction company was pretty understanding? were they?

mtbr member
    I would definitely take the opprotunity, if I were you ,to go out of your way to thanks all those involved for stopping and redoing this.You never hear big business and govt doing the right thing,like this.I can't believe it didn't take 6mos of red tape and litigation to correct this.....Oh..wait ,That'd be the American way to do things,wouldn't it?
    codafurnituredesign.com

mtbr member
    Interesting story... I sure would to see a few pictures of this run...

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Oh, I fully agree the city did some screwing and again, condolences to those that lost their DH course.
    Most likely the city simply forgot about a few kids riding bikes in the woods (even though you have "events", thats probably how they view you), or they (vodaphone) were dealing with a entirely different group.

Who knows though.

FWIW we're loosing a good chunk of trail that's been there for ever and is used by a bunch of people hikers/bikes/trail runners etc, so we can have a sweet new walmart super store, because the one literally just over the road is not super enough...

Rubs it home pretty well how it is more important to be able to sell cheap junk from china to the plebs then to maintain our green lands... but hey what do I know, maybe the 4 or 5 walmarts we have here are simply not enough...

Edit: didn't read the whole thread before throwing in my (now useless) 2c, good to hear it worked out for you!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff View Post
    Most likely the city simply forgot about a few kids riding bikes in the woods (even though you have "events", thats probably how they view you), or they (vodaphone) were dealing with a entirely different group.

Who knows though.

FWIW we're loosing a good chunk of trail that's been there for ever and is used by a bunch of people hikers/bikes/trail runners etc, so we can have a sweet new walmart super store, because the one literally just over the road is not super enough...

Rubs it home pretty well how it is more important to be able to sell cheap junk from china to the plebs then to maintain our green lands... but hey what do I know, maybe the 4 or 5 walmarts we have here are simply not enough...

Edit: didn't read the whole thread before throwing in my (now useless) 2c, good to hear it worked out for you!
    The trails that I learned to ride BMX on when I was a kid was leveled to build a Super Wally-World as well. The place was called Skeleton-hills and had been around since at least the 1960's.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just reading this made me angry...

Happy shredding :)
    Aug 2011
    Since the 'dozers are fixing the problem (sorta/kinda, still needs shoveling according to your story), you should have them burn the midnight oil and build ya'll a slopestyle course to boot
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Glad to hear that your story has a relatively good ending