OUCH! Need advice on pads...- Mtbr.com
    Frequent Crasher

OUCH! Need advice on pads...

Ok, I blew it on a small stair gap today. Got distracted right at the moment of takeoff. I am battered and bloodied, but I guess no more Urban without pads. I am thinking knees and maybe elbows. I am 33 and I don't bounce like I used to. Who makes some comfortable, but protective armor. Thanks in advance.
    SB

Feb 2004

pads

check out roach ir kona both real nice

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Rockgardn...

they make the mad gear for non-poseur's. Comfortable, great fit, awesome protection, true customer service and hella good pricing.

Peep them at http://www.rockgardn.com

Seriously, they're the real deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Roach!!! But here are some other companies too.

Roach makes the best legs and arms, I have the newest DH model of both. They are very comfortable, breath well, and protect like no other. I would say your best bet though is to try on as many kinds as possible and see what works for you. Some other companies to look at would be Dainese, Fox, Troy Lee designs, 661, Lizard skin, and core rat. Hope this helps.
    Later
    Buck

Jan 2004
    Fox 911's work well and they look a lot better than any other pads I've seen.

Jan 2004

Roach

I just got new Roaches. Good stuff, but I'm 5'7" (female) and DAMN THEY'RE HUGE!
    I also saw some in the classifieds, brand new if you're looking.

mtbr member

i've just read the reviews on rockgarden

and they are better across the board than other manufacturers ...
    that is who i'm getting my armour from when the time arives but untill then i just scored a cheap shortsleve armour suit from 661 that is pretty nice too ...(only cost $80)
    but when i get my free ride bike it's gona be all rockgarden ...
    ______
    "thirty spokes converge upon a wheel but it is the hole in the center that enables it to be used"

Jan 2004

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    Ok, I blew it on a small stair gap today. Got distracted right at the moment of takeoff. I am battered and bloodied, but I guess no more Urban without pads. I am thinking knees and maybe elbows. I am 33 and I don't bounce like I used to. Who makes some comfortable, but protective armor. Thanks in advance.
    SB
    I'm 48 and I know I don't bounce at all!

2 votes for ROACH! I use the DH model, Arm Knee an Shin guards

Others:

Dainese Full protection, but big bucks!
    Dainese

Found at Byondbikes.com
    ROACH
    Troy Lee Designs
    Fox Clothing
    http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ba/asp...r/ab/items.htm
    Last edited by 9 Lives; 02-06-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Jan 2004
    Most knee shin combos fold over on the knee at a time when it matters most. Use a seperate knee shin pad to avoid scar tissue. Use the knee pads that velcro right under and above the knee.

BTW: the hell with the 661 Knee/shin combos the only thing those are good for is collecting soil samples.

Jan 2004

Get Dainese if you have the cash..

I ride cheapo 661 soft knee/shin gaurds and I like them a lot but I tried on one of my friends Dainese and there by far the most comfortable quality pads ive ever tried on. There pricy but no more really then roach. They have mesh wrapping that suck to your legs. They were much more comfy then fox 911 and my pads for me at least. Ive heard great thing about rockgardn too so its up to you how much $$ u want to spend.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    The roach pads are awesome, and they arent really expensive. They are extremely comfortable and protective. They do get alittle hot though. Rockgardn stuff is nice as well, i plan to buy their flakjacket but as far as skin/arm armor go roach is what i plan to stick with. The roach stuff is great as well for pedaling around in, it doesnt move and after a 10-15 minutes you just kinda forget its there.

Now Uploading
    I like my Fox 911 pads a lot. Give them a chance to break in, won't take long. I like mine because they don't move and creep and they fit well.

I'd check a local shop for them. Fit is important, or you won't like and use them. Impossible to guess at this stuff mail-order.

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

mtbr member
    i really like the fit of my lizard skins knee and shin pads. pedaling isn't a problem at all and i've started to forget they're even on. plus they were only $41 at my lbs. sunrift in g'ville/travelers rest is great.

Frequent Crasher
    Thanks for the advice everyone. There is a 661 dealer near my college. I will see if they have anything in stock to try on. I hate getting stuff mail-order but none of the bike shops near here stock anything useful.

I lean like a cholo!

Second the Rock Gardn

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    they make the mad gear for non-poseur's.
    Amazingly, they fit us poseurs too. They will help you bounce better!
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Con-fecal
    Amazingly, they fit us poseurs too. They will help you bounce better!
    "It ain't cocky if you back it up" - Kid Rock

"It ain't cocky if you back it up" - The airborne, bleeding poser that got down the hill before you did!

Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Roach

I have the Roach FR legs and love them. Great protection and have not slipped. You could do alot worse than these! Trust me...

USB Rep'n
    I know the 661 stuff gets a bad rap sometimes but I got some DJ elbow pads from them and love them. They are a bit bmx'y but if you don't want full arm or too much bulk, these things are great. I got em to ride park but have been using them on the trails too and have been really pleased. I also got some 03 Race Knee/Shin gaurads and hated them (the 3 strap system they used allowed the knee cup to bow out offering very poor coverage and no comfort). I swapped em for the 04's with the sleeve around the knee and velcro straps lower and find them to be great, especially for the price. Id say check them out for sure unless you have cash to burn , then get the Roach or Dainese.

Good luck and be safe. Im 36 and while I do bounce still, I usually bounce enough times to leave me hobbling around for days afterward. It sure aint like when we were kids, is it?
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    SB
    I've gone through a lot of pads (Fox 911's, Roach and 661 Race) & finally found what I think are the best for freeride/urban (not so great for DH, because they'd be tough to stand up and hammer in) - Hoots freeride knee/shin - tough to find outside of Canada (although Supergo will order them for you) - but they have HUGE plastic coverage for the knee and shin, backed by a TON of padding - and include a calf pad (hard plastic over foam) to protect the rear of your leg (something missing on nearly every other pad) - you can honestly drop straight down to the floor on these and not feel a thing - these pads offer the most protection of any pad I have - and Hoots is a very cool rider too....

Feb 2004
    I personally like to use Lizard Skins shinpads and separate Lizard Skins knee pads. They work Great! Superior protection, but maybe little bit hot... then again what isn't?

Jan 2004
    Here ya go

Just kidding dude, I would recommend 661's or Rockgardn's
    Attached Images Attached Images