Ouch, this hurts a lot- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770

    Ouch, this hurts a lot

    Rode Palmer this morning with Corbin (ironhorsesgs....), his friend Justin, Keaton (mtbkid), Rocky(sprocket) and Doug who I've seen before but don't know if he's on the forums. It was fun for a few hours, and then I hit this cool drop and the landig was flatter than I anticipated, I bottomed both front and rear, stupidily grabbed the brakes, started washing out, and finally the rear end slid out on me and I nailed some rocks with the bike and me. . Luckily the bike is alright and there isnt any visible damage other than some scratches on my stanchion guards. However, my foot is toast. I'm pretty sure that I broke something in it although I don't really know, Ive got it iced and am hoping that the swelling goes down in the morning. I'm thinking its a break especially with the nice crimson bruise on the top. Guess I'm out for a few months. If only I'd gone snowboarding today instead....

    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  2. #2
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    ooo... d*mn dude, that has to hurt a bit...

  3. #3
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    What a sissy.

    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Rode Palmer this morning with Corbin (ironhorsesgs....), his friend Justin, Keaton (mtbkid), Rocky(sprocket) and Doug who I've seen before but don't know if he's on the forums. It was fun for a few hours, and then I hit this cool drop and the landig was flatter than I anticipated, I bottomed both front and rear, stupidily grabbed the brakes, started washing out, and finally the rear end slid out on me and I nailed some rocks with the bike and me. . Luckily the bike is alright and there isnt any visible damage other than some scratches on my stanchion guards. However, my foot is toast. I'm pretty sure that I broke something in it although I don't really know, Ive got it iced and am hoping that the swelling goes down in the morning. I'm thinking its a break especially with the nice crimson bruise on the top. Guess I'm out for a few months. If only I'd gone snowboarding today instead....

    Why you could just get a shoe for that foot about 2...well, maybe 3 sizes bigger and ride with no problems...Not!...LOL! Man, foot injuries suck. You don't think much about feet until something's wrong with one of 'em. Just curious...what kind of shoes were you wearing?...not that shoes could prevent that.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: anti-spandex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    133
    sorry to hear youre out of comission...i had three broken bones in a year once!
    if you really think its broken (and provided you have insurance) maybe get x-rays just so you can be sure it is going to heal up okay. nothing would be worse than finding out that you have more serious problems down the road because you didnt check it out now.
    heal fast dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Here's a question for the aol generation:

    Is it really that hard to type "any" instead of "n e" or "your" instead of "ur"?

    You are being judged by the way you post, whether you like it or not, and aolese conveys the fact that you're ("ur") not too bright.

    p.s. The video was uninspiring, repetitious, and not very interesting. But at least he took the time to make one, unlike so many other folks.

  5. #5
    go big or go home
    Reputation: bentimby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    914
    that sucks dude...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    ps2 and dh domonation. use that and get better, but hey riding season is pretty much done, well in my area it is.
    p.s. I'd rather have an XBOX

  7. #7
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    ps2 and dh domonation. use that and get better, but hey riding season is pretty much done, well in my area it is.
    p.s. I'd rather have an XBOX
    TNC: I was using some Lakai Howards or something along those lines, not bad shoes actually, but very weak as far as stiff support.


    Lol, I'll be busy playin some Halo2, and eSurfing the forums. Riding season here is over for the most part but there's local stuff that's fun to hit from time to tim when the weather is nice, plus I snowboard, so there really isnt an offseason for me.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  8. #8
    where's the kick stand?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    ...and eSurfing the forums...
    thats all you need is more posts...WHORE... that sucks about your foot though, hope you have a fast recovery.
    live to ride, ride to live

    R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

  9. #9
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    Hey guys, on this shoe deal...I was curious what kind of shoes that Comet was wearing, thinking they were some kind of regular MTB shoe or something. I'd never heard of that name, Lakai Howard, so I did a search...Man, those look like Pat Boone shoes (hmmm, maybe some of you kids won't know who that is). Do many of you guys ride in lighter weight shoes that are substantially lighter looking than more conventional MTB shoes? I got to checking on pictures of some of these shoes, and some of them remind me of deck shoes like you wear on a sailboat. I guess because a lot of riders don't use clipless pedals, these shoes are popular. I guess I'm a sissy, but I always wear some fairly beefy shoes. I ride dirt motorcycles, and obviously my MX style boots are pretty beefy too. Is there a reason other than style or something that these lightweight shoes are popular? They just seem kinda flimsy. I initially thought Comet's injury would've happened even in a regular MTB shoe, but I'm not so sure now. Here's a pic of the sissy shoes I wear. Note the protection on the outside of the shoe right about where Comet's swelling is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Youngbuck
    Reputation: CanadianHooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    766
    That really sucks hope you heal fast,i broke my thumb and it hurt like a b!tch so i can imagine how much that probly hurts.

    TNC-What shoes are those?(yours)
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

  11. #11
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    AXO Vertigo. They're not even made anymore because apparently heavier built MTB shoes (and especially high tops) are not very popular. And that's my curiosity. I noticed that a lot of these guys that are dirt jumping and doing some urban freeride are wearing what look like sneakers but are actually bike shoes. I know you're probably not going to run into a lot of rocks and such doing jumps or urban, but it seems these shoes are being used for all types of riding. Even on some urban stuff, I'd rather have my feet slamming into stair steps and such with my shoes than some of these lightweight shoes. Am I missing something?

  12. #12
    Doesnt ride Banshees
    Reputation: Banshee Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,406
    lighter shoes with less padding breath better. good feature for XC but when i start riding clipless dh this year i'll defenitly be running beefier shoes like the hematoma's.

  13. #13
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    everyone I ride with rides in skate shoes...no beefiness...no arch supports...and especially no cushy bottom...just some old school skate shoes....they're the all around shoes...wear em to the store...to school...skateboarding...urban assault...XC...DH...and especially huckin' and jumpin'...and when you get home you kick em off and let the dog chew on em for a while...

    edit: OOPS...forgot to sign in on my name...this is his OLD LADY...
    nike high tops for me...then a stroll on a bb court

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    i wear skate shoes or some cheap shoes i bought. now i will be wearing some emerica heretics...

  15. #15
    go big or go home
    Reputation: bentimby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Lol, I'll be busy playin some Halo2, and eSurfing the forums.
    isnt that what you do even without a broken foot? haha jk

  16. #16
    go big or go home
    Reputation: bentimby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Hey guys, on this shoe deal...I was curious what kind of shoes that Comet was wearing, thinking they were some kind of regular MTB shoe or something. I'd never heard of that name, Lakai Howard, so I did a search...Man, those look like Pat Boone shoes (hmmm, maybe some of you kids won't know who that is). Do many of you guys ride in lighter weight shoes that are substantially lighter looking than more conventional MTB shoes? I got to checking on pictures of some of these shoes, and some of them remind me of deck shoes like you wear on a sailboat. I guess because a lot of riders don't use clipless pedals, these shoes are popular. I guess I'm a sissy, but I always wear some fairly beefy shoes. I ride dirt motorcycles, and obviously my MX style boots are pretty beefy too. Is there a reason other than style or something that these lightweight shoes are popular? They just seem kinda flimsy. I initially thought Comet's injury would've happened even in a regular MTB shoe, but I'm not so sure now. Here's a pic of the sissy shoes I wear. Note the protection on the outside of the shoe right about where Comet's swelling is.
    ummmm i just ride with my etnies...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gtbikesalltheway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    181
    cheapest skate shoes I can find for me. havent let me down yet

  18. #18
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    dam dude...

    im curious as to how big this drop was that you bottemed your shiver and V10 on...and the foot is just all nasty...quick recovery dude...ill think of you in 8 days when im bombing down "red hill" on my new DEMO...

    and i also ride in skate shoes...well what ever youd class rowleys as...and i wear them for there grip rather than how bulky they are...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  19. #19
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    dam dude...

    im curious as to how big this drop was that you bottemed your shiver and V10 on...and the foot is just all nasty...quick recovery dude...ill think of you in 8 days when im bombing down "red hill" on my new DEMO...

    and i also ride in skate shoes...well what ever youd class rowleys as...and i wear them for there grip rather than how bulky they are...
    The drop wasn't huge, like 5ft-ish, but never setting up my Shiver properly caught up with me a bit, as well as the fact that it was flatter than I thought it was so I didn't think I had much to worry about...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Rode Palmer this morning with Corbin (ironhorsesgs....), his friend Justin, Keaton (mtbkid), Rocky(sprocket) and Doug who I've seen before but don't know if he's on the forums. It was fun for a few hours, and then I hit this cool drop and the landig was flatter than I anticipated, I bottomed both front and rear, stupidily grabbed the brakes, started washing out, and finally the rear end slid out on me and I nailed some rocks with the bike and me. . Luckily the bike is alright and there isnt any visible damage other than some scratches on my stanchion guards. However, my foot is toast. I'm pretty sure that I broke something in it although I don't really know, Ive got it iced and am hoping that the swelling goes down in the morning. I'm thinking its a break especially with the nice crimson bruise on the top. Guess I'm out for a few months. If only I'd gone snowboarding today instead....

    That looks alot like my ankle did a couple months ago. I hope you come off as lucky as I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Masher
    That looks alot like my ankle did a couple months ago. I hope you come off as lucky as I did.
    Wow, That's almost uncanny. The swelling has gone down A LOT, so its just somewhat swollen instead of puffy as hell like in your pic. But, the bruising on the back side is the same, as well as the bruising on the toes, but mine isnt quite so bad. What happened in your situation?

    I can walk perfectly fine now, stick shoes on and off just fine, and all that. I'm still probably going to get it checked out.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  22. #22
    Doesnt ride Banshees
    Reputation: Banshee Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    mine isnt quite so bad. What happened in your situation?
    It appears he got his foot run over by a mack truck

    Is my guess close?

Similar Threads

  1. ouch
    By cajonezzz in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 12:46 PM
  2. Ouch. I was NOT ready for that.
    By tscheezy in forum Turner
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 08:35 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-21-2004, 06:41 AM
  4. Seat hurts my butt & is rubbing
    By delirium in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 07:28 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.