Other DH/FR Tire options- Mtbr.com
    SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

Other DH/FR Tire options

Any opinions on other tire brands aside from Maxxis and Kenda?

There are still a wide variety of products to choose from, you know.

Tioga, Nokian (now known as Gazza), WTB, Schwalbe, Hutchinson, Michelin (I know SMT is a fan of these), and others.

Feel free to share your feedback.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Intense makes a good selection of tires. I used them for a season, they worked out ok. I was not to happy with heavy they were/are. I was using the 4-ply fro tires. Now they make them with 2-ply or 4-ply. I am actually thinking about trying them again, they help really well in corners and had awesome grip for braking.

http://www.intensetires.com/

I walk up hills
    I love the Michelin DH Tires, heavy suckers but the grip is great and they are lasting me a very long time compared to my old Kenda's.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    If you haven't tryed the Michelin Comp 16's, you should check those out. Also, Tioga's White Tigers are good. Both these tires are a bit soft, but have incredible grip. (The Tioga's roll better IMO.)
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    i know you said no kendas but blueskycycles has to kenetics stick-e's for 19 bucks

mtbr member
    oh but mich. are good and i've never personally rode intenses but my buddy really liked his and my friends rides gazzalodie jr.s front and rear loves them and i road his bike to see if i like them stick to the ground like crazy and shed mud really well heavy tho

EastBaySteez
    Kenda kenetics blow. HARD. I gave mine away.

WTB weirwolfs are made in 2ply roll so fast its scarry. Not a good winter tire for for hard pack/ loose rocks they are great.
    WTB Timberwolfs, I've had good luck with them up at N* really dusty the big lugs just hang on. But they lack on hardpack.
    Those are the only wtb tires that I've tried and used for a few months.

Id like to try the newer WTB tires but cant see myself forking over $$$ for them.

I know you said other tires but really all you need is
    Maxxis. Minion up front Highroller rear. (summer) Mobster up front Highroller rear (winter)
    Im a maxxis believer.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

...idios...
    Specialized Chunder 2.3's are the mutt's nuts. Grippy without leading you off someplace, very predictable, fairly fast rolling and narrow enough to cut through wet stuff. They wear quite quickly, depending on where you're riding, and tend to pick up stones in the side knobs, which are quite closely spaced. They're my first choice downhill tyre, unless a course has the kind of drops or square edges that need a little more volume, in which case I might throw a 2.6 Gazza on the front.
    Last edited by SteveUK; 02-11-2008 at 10:57 AM.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Capricious youth...
    Specialized Chunders.

LOVE mine.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i have a buddy who swears by the schwalbe stuff. he's used a few different models but he's been stuck on the Big Betty 2.4 in the gooey gluey compound.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    WTB Dissent Race/WTB Prowler XT

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I like Intenses. The 2-plys are really nice and they offer a wide range of tread patterns. They also offer a 2-ply semi-slick which is a fun tire. I just can't see the point of a 4-ply tire. Are they designed to be run without air or something? Plus they are relativley cheap. I just can't justify dropping upwards of $50 a tire, espicially when you need so many tires for specific needs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Michelin 16 makes up for lack of control for me! :P I love those tires, although they can wear a bit quickly in dry/hardpack conditions. The 24 is better suited for those.

Arrow Tires are another line worth mentioning, though I haven't ridden one for years so I don't remember its pros and cons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    I just can't see the point of a 4-ply tire. Are they designed to be run without air or something? .
    There is not much of a need for a 4-ply tire, but some tracks are so fast, rough and rocky the extra protection is nice.
    Mt. Snow VT's pro course is a good example, same with Whiteface(top).
    You can also ride them flat with out really knowing you have a flat.

General Rabble-Rouser
    I really like Nokian. the NBX has been a great tire for me, and it's price was awesome. It's just SO DAMN HEAVY

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Michelin's DH lineup is great. So is Nokian's (or Gazza). They're definitely more expensive than similar offerings from Kenda and Maxxis, but totally worth it.

When I hold a DH16/24/32 next to something comparable from Maxxis/Kenda/WTB, the Michelin tires feel better made. They use a softer compound, but last a VERY long time. UST compatible too... True, they're a little on the heavy side, so if you're a weight weenie when it comes to tires, you may be turned off. But, I'd gladly pay a few extra bucks, and suffer a hundred grams extra, for a better manufactured, 'grippier', more durable tire.

The same can be said about Nokian tires. People seem to think 'huck' when they hear 'Nokian', but forget that their DH tires are pretty good. Especially the gumwalls...

Basically a refined (again, better made and longer lasting) Maxxis DHF. Rolls fast, but holds a great line over loose, rocky, rutted, whatever. The weight penalty sucks a little bit, but it's worth it.

Check 'em out. Just some food for thought.

This is not to discredit Maxxis, Kenda, or WTB tires in any way. I've been plenty happy on their products. Just giving credit where credit is due (Michelin, Nokian).

Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    I really like Nokian. the NBX has been a great tire for me, and it's price was awesome. It's just SO DAMN HEAVY
    Word! I have an NBX 2.5 gumwall on the front and it's probably the best tire I've ever ridden. Together with a Michy DH24 and it feels great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6

WTB weirwolfs are made in 2ply roll so fast its scarry. Not a good winter tire for for hard pack/ loose rocks they are great.
    WTB Timberwolfs, I've had good luck with them up at N* really dusty the big lugs just hang on. But they lack on hardpack.

Id like to try the newer WTB tires but cant see myself forking over $$$ for them.

Maxxis. Minion up front Highroller rear. (summer) Mobster up front Highroller rear (winter)
    Im a maxxis believer.
    I ride the Timberwolfs as well and they are a great tire, very underrated in my opinion. plus they are inexpensive compared to another brands.

moaaar shimz
    I'm a Maxxis believer too.

Pivotal figure
    I'm trying out an Intense EXLite in dual compound and so far it's working very well. I'll see how the lighter sidewall holds up to Bootleg next weekend... (I'm only running it up front)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Specialized Chunder 2.3's are the mutt's nuts. Grippy without leading you off someplace, very predictable, fairly fast rolling and narrow enough to cut through wet stuff. They wear quite quickly, depending on where you're riding, and tend to pick up stones in the side knobs, which are quite closely spaced. They're my first choice downhill tyre, unless a course has the kind of drops or square edges that need a little more volume, in which case I might throw a 2.6 Gazza on the front.

My setup as well. Gazz Jr front, Chunder 2.3 rear. just got them yesterday. I used to run a pair of Gazz jrs, (on a hardtail!) and i never had a flat. The penalty in weight is definitely evident, and it does not roll as fast as a high roller or the minion, but I sure would not take them off!

and I seem to recognize your avatar as the "Kes" movie poster. Nice one.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    If you haven't tryed the Michelin Comp 16's, you should check those out. Also, Tioga's White Tigers are good. Both these tires are a bit soft, but have incredible grip. (The Tioga's roll better IMO.)
    Uncle Cliffy, how will you recommend the White Tigers? front, back, for mud, etc?

mtbr member
    check out arrow racing, they have a pretty good line up of tires now

StraightOuttaCompton
    WTB Dissent Race/WTB Prowler XT
    yea, i just bought some dissents in place of the timberwolves i had. They were nice, but rolled like $hit.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6

Im a maxxis believer.
    Weirwolfs suck so hard.

If you care about biking at all, you won't buy Weirwolfs.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

caninus xerophilous

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Rb
    Word! NBX 2.5.
    Nuther Nokian rider, but they are hard to find and muey expensive.

Others I roll are Maxxis DHF/R, Intense 909, and IRC Kujos. All set up well for 2bliss cept the 909's.

Bike Ninja |||
    Every other tire sucks balls compared to the Specialized S-Works Pin'it Umma gummy 2.5

And if you don't want to take my word for it, fine.. one less person out there that's going to be getting traction that I have to compete with.

FYI Minions blow massive d!ck compared to the traction offered by the pin'its.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    what's the main difference between the pin'it and the pin'er?

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    what's the main difference between the pin'it and the pin'er?
    Tread design, the pin'it is more of a fast rolling, hard to mid pack dry dirt tire. Grips like a mixture of pixie dust and superglue. Anything moist dirt to moon dust it excelles in.

I break out the pin'ers when it gets sloppy though, as they come in a 2.3 version and have farther spaced knobs and more tread void. Bites a bit better in wet conditions.

Pin'its rule. plain in simple.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    what was your experience with the Chunder, cho?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    New Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2.5 gooey gluey up front and Big Betty 2.4 rear is a killer combination, esp. if you have to pedal up yourself...

I'd love to try out the aforementioned Nokian gumwall, also the Intense lineup seems promising. So many tires, so little time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I tried one of the Intense tire up front. Sidewall said it was a 2.5 tape measure said it was a 2.7. Hooked up good but rolled super slow. As soon as my current tires wear out I'll try the new WTB DH tires.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Nuther Nokian rider, but they are hard to find and muey expensive.

Others I roll are Maxxis DHF/R, Intense 909, and IRC Kujos. All set up well for 2bliss cept the 909's.
    I ordered a Minion DHF/DHR combo from my LBS, when I saw my free huckin' buddy rocking Gazzaloddi Jrs. He told me that he had been using them for a year and a half, maybe two, but it is still competitive, winning a DH race on a technical rock garden on a hardtail, beating the FS guys! He just replaced them because he was doing a lot of urban hucking and the Gazz Jrs were just too heavy. Luckily for me, He was selling a brand new pair at his small shop for around 10-15$ each. I got a pair for my Chucker and was sold on its durability and grip I cancelled my Minion order. ( I waited a month and a half for my order BTW)

Members who have read this thread: 0