OT: Sled purchasing advice for Revelstoke, BC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

OT: Sled purchasing advice for Revelstoke, BC

I noticed there's some people that ride sleds on the forum so throwing this out there for ya. I'm gonna be headed to Revelstoke for the winter to snowboard and explore the backcountry. I haven't owned a snowmobile before but have always been interested. Now that I'm going to an awesome big mountain spot I figured I might as well pull the trigger.

My buddy has a custom built up sled from 2005 that he's wanting to sell me. It's overall in great shape and below are the specs. It seems like a really pimp sled and should outperform most new stock sleds. I'm just wondering about the rough market value on this sucker and whether there's anything I'd be missing out on by getting an older sled even with nice custom parts on it.

1100cc RMK, custom built 3 cylinder 2-stroke engine (about 2500 miles on it, but buddy claims it'll go for much longer since it's a more powerful engine and doesn't get as abused), 240hp, 156" track with 2.25 paddles, weighs about 430lbs. He's asking $6000 for the sled and a 3 sled trailer. This seems like a solid deal based on what I've seen. He says he put in $25k into the sled over time. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Is this a decent price? I may not want to keep the sled after this season since the riding around where I live isn't quite as exciting.

Thanks for any advice. Just doing a sanity check before pulling the trigger.

Below are a couple photos. One of em's on top of Mt St Helens I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Sled purchasing advice for Revelstoke, BC-p1120025f.jpg  

OT: Sled purchasing advice for Revelstoke, BC-p4140012f.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Maybe it has lots of power but I would be looking for something with a more current suspension. Especially for a newbie that much power might just be a burden where as a better handling sled would be a benefit. There has been a lot of focus put into the handling of sleds by the manufactures since 2005. Don't forget to put most of your focus into snow saftey/avalanche awareness. Just look at the last few years especially in that area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Cool, thanks for the tip. Anywhere specific I can read up on suspension changes? My budget is around $5k, maybe $6k with trailer. Haven't seen anything newer than 2008 with decent power and track for deep and steep snow in that price range. I guess my question is whether I'd be able to find something better for the $. I'm in Portland, OR now and need to find something in the next month or so before heading to Canada since everything's more expensive up there now. Haven't seen too much stuff posted for sale yet since the snow hasn't started falling.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    As far as suspension info I would go thru the manufactures web sites and just see the changes they have made over the years,pick up snowmobile magazines. There should be a snowmobile expo comming soon to the Puyallup Fairgrounds, it also has a swapmeet. Do a internet search for clubs,go to shops, basically the more info you have the better decision you can make. Try and befriend someone who has been in the sport a long time and get there guidence. There should be sleds coming onto the market by people who want to move up or just need to sell cause of the economy. It is expected to be a big snow year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Washington State snowmobile expo Oct 16-17th Puyallup Farigrounds. Just a week and half away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the info. Will look into it.

Yeah, the guy selling this sled was supposed to be my sled buddy who'd point me the right way. He was giving me useful advice, but then decided he wanted to sell his sled. I trust him it just sucks that now there's a conflict of interest.

Now with flavor!!
    Yeah that thing is going to be a beast for your first sled. It's an older style which is a little harder to lay over and maybe a tad more difficult to learn how to ride......not hugely though. That said, those old rmks were pretty reliable, much more so than the couple year span immediately following. That's actually fairly light for such a big engine though.

I'd still shop around and so some reading. Every manufacturer had some 'bad years' and it's good to know what those were. Do some reading on the snowest forums and just be informed. As long as you get something reliable that will be the best thing you ever did for your snowboarding.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    ok, to start, sorry for the long post. but...

yeah this might not be the best sled for you since you are just learning. this is a full blown mod sled. you will be working on it. lots of potential issues. where to start. first it is a carbed sled with triple pipes. going to be very finicky, even if he has an atac installed whenever the temp or elevation changes (every 1000' or so) you are going to have to mess with the jetting. and if you lean it out and it seizes you are going to be out big money. it can be pretty easy to do unfortunately, trust me... plus it is running pods instead of an airbox which can lead to more icing (which is bad) and more runability issues. most likely that is a watercraft motor? makes a tone of power for sure but that is not what you want to be messing with. second, that does not look like an 05 chassis to me. looks closer to an 99, maybe. hard to be sure but those are outboard trailing arms and much older bars than 05. maybe he built it in 05? plus i have a hard time buying the 430 lbs. it is possible but very difficult. especially with some of the parts i'm seeing in the pics. that motor isn't light. the biggest thing is, regardless of what year it is, that is an old, out dated chassis. the new ones are so far above and beyond in handling and ridability that it really lowers the value. you would be hard pressed to sell it next year for anything close to $6k. to be honest $6k sounds pretty high to me, simply b/c of the chassis. sleds don't hold their value worth a crap and you do not get your money out of mods, trust me i've spent a HUGE amount on sleds and mods. it can be harder to sell a mod sled than a stock sled b/c you have to find someone the knows, appreciates, and wants what you have done. gets to be a very small number of people in the market for your sled.

if i were you this is what i would do... go to snowest.com and hit the forums. more info there than you can read in a month. do some research. if you just get on and ask "what sled should i buy" you will get everyone's personal bias. in the interest of full disclosure i'm pretty much a polaris guy. in my opinion these are the sleds you should be looking for.

Polaris
    06 (07 would be a little beeter) or up 600 rmk 155 with a 660
    07 or up 700 rmk 155
    these are the iq chassis, handle well, will get you pretty much anywhere you want to go, are reliable, and will be in your price range. i would probably stay way from the 800 just b/c some had motor issues.

Ski doo
    05 or up 800 with a 144 or longer track
    these sleds ripped and pretty much changed the industry when they came out.

artic cat
    the newest m 7 or m 8 you can find. very good all around sleds.

yamaha
    none. the two strokes are underpowered and four strokes are heavy and underpowered unless you get one with a turbo but that will be way above your price range.

you will be able to find any of these sleds in the swap meet section on snowest. as i said i am a polaris guy so i would look for one of the rmk's first. plus i feel they handle the best and have the best stock suspension. ski doo guys will argue with that but the artic cats are know to not have as nice as suspension as the others. i know the 660 is not a stock sled but they flat rip for the money and are very reliable. especially if they one you buy is a carl's cycle kit. the only "negative" is it is carbed. if you get a carbed sled i would HIGHLY recommend buying an atac. worth every penny and the best thing i ever put on any of my sleds. set it once and never mess with the carbs again. the biggest advantage of the 07 700 rmk is it is injected so you don't have to mess with carbs at all. this would probably be my first choice in your situation. stay away from anything with twin pipes, even on an injected sled. they do make more power but the hassle is not worth it unless you are very familiar with sleds. anyway, that is the basics. i could go on and on but the post is already too long. and of course this is just my opinion. if you want more details or specifics pm me on here or snowest (pura vida). i can talk sleds forever... good luck

pv

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Why is he selling it? Just tell him you're not sure and fill the need to shop around and that you just don't know enough yet. You may also want to determine where you want the sled to perform at its best. Such as groomed trails, off trail, big mountain, touring, etc. You may aslo want to consider are there noise level restriction where you will be riding? I could not tell if that sled pictured had a muffler,it did not look like it. Will you need room for a passenger,extra gear maybe a windshield or grip heaters. In Washington it might not get that cold but Interior BC is quite different. At 60-70mph a windshield is nice to have especially if the temps are in the single digits. Windshields and hoods are not cheap. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak pura vida
    ok, to start, sorry for the long post. but...

yeah this might not be the best sled for you since you are just learning. this is a full blown mod sled. you will be working on it. lots of potential issues. where to start. first it is a carbed sled with triple pipes. going to be very finicky, even if he has an atac installed whenever the temp or elevation changes (every 1000' or so) you are going to have to mess with the jetting. and if you lean it out and it seizes you are going to be out big money. it can be pretty easy to do unfortunately, trust me... plus it is running pods instead of an airbox which can lead to more icing (which is bad) and more runability issues. most likely that is a watercraft motor? makes a tone of power for sure but that is not what you want to be messing with. second, that does not look like an 05 chassis to me. looks closer to an 99, maybe. hard to be sure but those are outboard trailing arms and much older bars than 05. maybe he built it in 05? plus i have a hard time buying the 430 lbs. it is possible but very difficult. especially with some of the parts i'm seeing in the pics. that motor isn't light. the biggest thing is, regardless of what year it is, that is an old, out dated chassis. the new ones are so far above and beyond in handling and ridability that it really lowers the value. you would be hard pressed to sell it next year for anything close to $6k. to be honest $6k sounds pretty high to me, simply b/c of the chassis. sleds don't hold their value worth a crap and you do not get your money out of mods, trust me i've spent a HUGE amount on sleds and mods. it can be harder to sell a mod sled than a stock sled b/c you have to find someone the knows, appreciates, and wants what you have done. gets to be a very small number of people in the market for your sled.

if i were you this is what i would do... go to snowest.com and hit the forums. more info there than you can read in a month. do some research. if you just get on and ask "what sled should i buy" you will get everyone's personal bias. in the interest of full disclosure i'm pretty much a polaris guy. in my opinion these are the sleds you should be looking for.

Polaris
    06 (07 would be a little beeter) or up 600 rmk 155 with a 660
    07 or up 700 rmk 155
    these are the iq chassis, handle well, will get you pretty much anywhere you want to go, are reliable, and will be in your price range. i would probably stay way from the 800 just b/c some had motor issues.

Ski doo
    05 or up 800 with a 144 or longer track
    these sleds ripped and pretty much changed the industry when they came out.

artic cat
    the newest m 7 or m 8 you can find. very good all around sleds.

yamaha
    none. the two strokes are underpowered and four strokes are heavy and underpowered unless you get one with a turbo but that will be way above your price range.

you will be able to find any of these sleds in the swap meet section on snowest. as i said i am a polaris guy so i would look for one of the rmk's first. plus i feel they handle the best and have the best stock suspension. ski doo guys will argue with that but the artic cats are know to not have as nice as suspension as the others. i know the 660 is not a stock sled but they flat rip for the money and are very reliable. especially if they one you buy is a carl's cycle kit. the only "negative" is it is carbed. if you get a carbed sled i would HIGHLY recommend buying an atac. worth every penny and the best thing i ever put on any of my sleds. set it once and never mess with the carbs again. the biggest advantage of the 07 700 rmk is it is injected so you don't have to mess with carbs at all. this would probably be my first choice in your situation. stay away from anything with twin pipes, even on an injected sled. they do make more power but the hassle is not worth it unless you are very familiar with sleds. anyway, that is the basics. i could go on and on but the post is already too long. and of course this is just my opinion. if you want more details or specifics pm me on here or snowest (pura vida). i can talk sleds forever... good luck

pv
    What he said almost exactly except I'm a Doo guy but did switch over to the Dark Side this year with a new Pro RMK. Having said that... if I were getting a used sled I'd get a Cat M8 and slap some Fox air shocks on her - that will give you most bang for the buck right now. However... The Rev Summits are very stable and have wider tracks so they're probably a better choice for a first time rider until you understand carving basics and sidehilling. The older Polaris sleds fall somewhere in between the two extremes. As far as suspensions... A-arm is the ONLY way to go, not trailing arm like the sled you're looking at. And 430 lbs... your buddy has been hitting the bong one too many times.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    hmmm, i also bought a new pro this year. but your switch was not from the dark side but to the light... kidding. now i have to iq's i need to sell. hard to find a bad sled anymore. we'll see how the power compares to the new e-tech...

any of the m8's might be too new and be out of his price range. i was more thinking an first or second year m7. but it has more to do with what kind of condition he finds the sled in. what he needs is a buddy that knows sleds to help him look so some d-bag doesn't take him for a ride. nothing is worse than a new rider being taken to the cleaners to sour his opinion about sleds. no noise restrictions in revy that i know or have hear of. good luck.

pv

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I spend my winters in the backcountry with a sled and a split-board. I picked up an '08 Ski-doo Rev 800 and it flat rips. Basically a stock sled with an HPS can. 154 track goes anywhere I need it to. You should be able to find something like this for around $5k. I'd also back the Polaris guys up that those sleds are super nice too. The 600's can be had for a song and the 700's are bullet-proof with really great power. The Polaris sleds are easier to turn the Ski-doo's are a little easier to climb with. Both are really great options. I'd stay away from that mod-sled, looks like a second job!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys. Lots to research now. Good eye btw. Now that you mentioned it I recall him saying something about '99, but he modded and replaced a bunch of stuff in 2005. The suspension and durability was my main concern and it sounds like you guys feel like I can do better. He's selling the sled because he doesn't use it much anymore. He's getting closer to 50 and lots of his sledding buddies are too busy with families, etc. An interesting note is that he has sensors to measure the temp of each cylinder and also to measure the water temp in the radiator.

I'm mainly looking for big mountain riding since that's what I hear is in Revy. Something that can get me up reasonably steep stuff in deep snow.

Thanks again for the help.

mtbr member
    I have a few friends in Revy/Sicamous and most of them keep their sleds stock and use NOS to get up the real steep stuff (or turbos if you can afford one). Get the biggest track you can find - at least a 159 (from my experience riding there - it is DEEP and good light pow).

I am in Portland so let me know if you find a sled you want to look at and I'd be happy to tag along. And T - good to see you're into sleds too! Have to hit me up sometime and we'll ride.

Pic of the new Pro (A-arm front suspension):

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Sled purchasing advice for Revelstoke, BC-47067_443238448773_818393773_5098664_5407990_n.jpg  

OT: Sled purchasing advice for Revelstoke, BC-p1020896.jpg  

"There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    up here 5K for an 08 XP would be a hell of a deal. good luck on your search. would love to ride revy but it is kind of hard to justify with the snow we get up here. should be a pretty BA winter for you.

killin clear creek
    AKPV's first post is pretty much spot on.

My take is get a newer chassis, PERIOD. DON'T do the usual first year access rider mistake & buy a 4 stroke, most of my access buddies got one, then sold them later because they can't keep up (depends on where you ride).

The smaller sleds, 600, 700 can always be modded later for more power, you can only do so much with a chassis though.

That watercraft motor (the polaris you're looking at) is something I'd stay away from. You don't want to start on a tuner sled like that, it's just headaches... guaranteed.

M7-8, dragon 7, rev... many good choices If you want the most reliable sled you can get, dragon 7 or M8, hands down a step above the rest (I don't own either, well kinda...)

My babies...

1000 short track (my main ride), hcr turbo (wife's sled, check out sledbetties.com, some badass chicks!), 1000 long track. also got a racer for learning stupid sh** on!

Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone planning on attending the Snowmobile Expo in Puyallup, WA this Saturday? I'm considering going to check out the swap meet, but worried about going solo and buying something I shouldn't. If anyone's going to be there and wouldn't mind helping me check out some used sleds I'd gladly buy you some beer.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    that is a great idea. unfortunately (well, not really ) i live in alaska so i can't help you out. if you don't get any hits here today, again, try snowest. if you get on there, post up what you are trying to do i'm sure you will be able to find lots of people going and more than willing to help you out. good luck.
    pv

mtbr member
    Ditto on the newer chassis. Ditto on the most reliable sled being a Polaris 700, Cat 800. Backcountry hit it dead on. The learning curve on the new chassis vs. old isn't even a ?. BTW backcounry, where did the 1000 long track come from?
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0