OT: Man VS Wild- Mtbr.com

Thread: OT: Man VS Wild

Shop *****

OT: Man VS Wild

Some marathon on Disc. channel atm... who likes the show? I personally love it
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

Bottlerockin'
    haha i think that show is hilarious. my friends and i watch it and crack up for the entire thing. i doubt half the things he says on the show are true. i remember an episode where he was utilising "a developing climbing technique, known by few"--hahah...guy cracks me up

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm sitting here watching it right now, I only kinda like the show, the only reason I am watching it is because there is nothing else on right now.

mtbr member
    Survivorman is much better.

banned
    I love a good survivor type show marathon after a hard night surviving.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Les from Survivor rules …He’s the man who actually teaches you survival skills. He does it all by himself. That other guy is a actor, who gets help from the person or persons behind the camera … I remember one episode where he was in a cave and built this massive wood fence to block of bears or something it was a bad build and then they so another shot all built nice hahhaha believe me it took more then him lol…It should be called Mens vs Wild.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The bit where he hits the rabbit with the stick is total BS.

I bet they shot it with something.

ohh and the Horse thing seemed fake too.

Shop *****
    Well, I bet some of it is obviously fake... But it does teach you ways to survive.

Espescially when I will be camping 9mi into the Kenai peninsula for 2 weeks this summer

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMuncher
    The bit where he hits the rabbit with the stick is total BS.

I bet they shot it with something.

ohh and the Horse thing seemed fake too.
    That horse might as well have been a unicorn with the fantasies he was having.

How about when he wore the PFD in the river? You could see it right through his shirt. How about when he was roped up for one of his climbs? Better editing guys.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    survivor man is way better than man vs wild. bear grills is a little flamer. les could kick his ass.
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

Shop *****
    I used to live in Indonesia. That's a pretty good view... Tons of islands like that uninhabited.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Even though Bear is a little faker.

That SOB has eaten some nasty schit!

Some of that smelly crap snakes put out makes me puke smelling it, let alone trying to eat it!

What about the dead Zebra carcus he chewed on raw? GROSS!

clyde in training
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    bear grills is a little flamer. les could kick his ass.
    is that a joke?

Shop *****
    Does anyone catch him say "disorentating"...?

mtbr member
    Did anyone see him sneak up on the helpless turtle ,slit its throat and throw it on the barbie.."taste like chicken" he says.

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    survivor man is way better than man vs wild. bear grills is a little flamer. les could kick his ass.
    hahaha............ stop talking.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    hahaha............ stop talking.
    haha just tryin to stir up some shlt. but in all reality i think survivor man is alittle more realistic than man vs wild
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Notice how he always "hears" something in the middle of the night?

Get's old.

Until he actually shows a bear standing 20 feet away, I'm going to assume it's the damn camera crew.

I rot before I ripen
    Wikipedia "Man vs. Wild":

The format of this show is similar to that of Survivorman, with the exception being that Survivorman is recorded by the host, while Grylls travels with a two-man camera crew. Grylls contends that the crew is "under very strict instructions not to get involved or help" unless he is in a fatal situation.

Wikipedia "Survivorman":

Les also travels with a satellite phone, for use in case of an emergency during the filming process. However, Stroud often discovers (during testing) that the satellite phone does not work.

The other MVW thread:

> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=285725

Both shows rock. But Survivorman hunkers down so he can film himself each night making fire and catching grub. Bear goes two days w/out food before killing and eating rabbit/fish/already-dead-creature.

After the Apocalypse, the only survivors will be roaches, Oreo Cookies, Banshee Screams, and Bear Grylls.

d
    Last edited by levee67; 06-17-2007 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    The show rocks! I've been watching it most of the day...nothing better to do when it's 90* and humid as hell!

Life is Good
    Bear Grylls is many times the survivorman that "survivorman" is. That guy's a beast! The presence of a camera crew doesn't mean anything other than it's easier for us to watch from our couches.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    survivorman is way cooler. you can actually learn from it. the shiz bear does is usually a fine example of what not to do. the show is hilarious to watch but i would feel sorry for anyone that actually tries to do what he does cuz its more likely to kill you than save your life.

mtbr member
    I love it! It is so funny and awesome at the same time. "It feels like you are being punched in the chest with a bag of cement!" Quote Bear Grills as he climbs up a waterfall.

squish is good
    I'm watching it now too, but just to get in some laughs. I completed the Air Forces combat survival course a couple years ago as training for my reserve job and those guys actually love survivorman and Les, they use clips from his show for our annual refresher course we have to do. Man vs. Wild is pretty much a joke, rule #1 when your trying to survive is don't get hurt, as in don't climb down waterfalls or jump into a class 5 rapids with a bunch of tied together sticks. The scenery is pretty epic though, Bear goes to some cool places!

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Man vs. Wild is pretty much a joke, rule #1 when your trying to survive is don't get hurt, as in don't climb down waterfalls or jump into a class 5 rapids with a bunch of tied together sticks.
    crap, you're right. BUT .... each of those off the chart stunts are like what you'd do ONCE in a desperate situation. something completely stupid but necessary.

yet Bear does em every show, just for the camera.

*that's* why he rocks.

d

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by levee67
    After the Apocalypse, the only survivors will be roaches, Oreo Cookies, Banshee Screams, and Bear Grylls.

d
    word up

squish is good
    I have a tough time imagining a situation that would be that dire, in the rockies or the jungle a healthy resourseful person could survive for weeks, tons of opportunity to get food and water. It's all for the camera and its fun to watch but I would highly discourage anyone from watching that show for an educational experience.

But yes... Bear is a badass, and I want his job I won't lie!

pdh
    mtbr member
    I watched it this morning and he decided to float down river in his quest to find civilization.
    The editing was'nt clever enough to hide the PFD he had on under his hoodie. Nor the giant beach ball stuffed in his backpack?
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

i drink shower water
    i like both shows... Bear is pretty sweet but the Survivor Man is a Bad Ass. All of these men are Trumped by the Deadliest Catch Guys. Case closed!
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

EastBaySteez
    My fav episode is when he is in the french alps. and jumps off into a crevas to show that his lil contraption works. I laughed sooo hard. ANd then a few mins later he jumped into a a freezing ice river. I <3 Bear.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Both shows are good, but yeah i find Bear does stuff that's way too risky for a show about survival. Chimney climb up 60ft slickrock gorges? Sure, that's definitely the best way to stay alive. One of the guys on the backpacking forums I visit was the guide on an episode, and showed a behind the scenes video of them prepping Bear. There were like 20 guys standing around telling him what to say in front of the comera, he'd just repeat it word for word. Mad props to the guy for some of the stuff he does, shame discovery channel wants it so 'extreme' though.

If you guys like this stuff, definitely search for some stuff by Ray Mears from the UK. Not a bad ass like Bear, but way more knowledgeable. He's got a ton of shows you can find via torrents, never seen them on DVD to buy or anything. Lots more practical knowledge IMO, he'd laugh at the dumb way Bear eats his food (raw, still alive), no doubt.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    All of these men are Trumped by the Deadliest Catch Guys. Case closed!
    word.

bear and les would get fing owned crying like children on the northwestern.

I am that guy...
    Quote Originally Posted by tx-opsman
    Did anyone see him sneak up on the helpless turtle ,slit its throat and throw it on the barbie.."taste like chicken" he says.

We saw that episode last night...the wife was grossed out...I was LMAO

Members who have read this thread: 0