Opinions on a Ventana El Cuervo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Opinions on a Ventana El Cuervo

Hey guys,

I havent been here for a while due to getting married 3 years ago, but am now in a much more (financially) stable place in life and really want to get back into Downhilling again. I see that things have changed so much since I was last looking for parts for my old FSR. I see new mainstream brands that I have never heard of before and, other than the reviews, I have no idea how good these new brands are.

Anyways, I found a local guy that is selling an '06 Ventana El Cuervo for $1700. I would like to know what people here think about this bike. I went to check it out and it seems to be in good condition. Here are the components:

- Romic-D rear shock (have never heard of this brand)
    - Marzocchi 888 Fork, upgraded to World Cup model (except it still has black stanchions)
    - Magura Gustav M 8" brakes, front and back
    - Mavic 721 Rims
    - MRP Chain Guide
    - Titanium Rear hub much like a Chris King (cant remember the brand....havent heard of it before)
    - Pretty sure it had XT derailleurs

I'm sure there were some other things of note, but that's the jist of it. What do you think.....is that a good price? I was really looking for the $1200-1400 range.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    From a ride quality/durability perspective, I can't comment because I've never ridden or owned the El Cuervo, or any Ventana, for that matter. However, for what it's worth, Ventana does have a very loyal following.

From a financial perspective, if the bike is in good shape and if it fits you, I say go for it! The frame alone retails for $2250 brand new:

http://www.go-ride.com/ProductDetail...000-1116899930

And if you consider all the parts you mentioned, a conservative estimate of buying all those parts new and separately would probably be about $2K.

StraightOuttaCompton
    it is steezable for sure. i see them at Northstar quite frequently

it is a wee bit spendy though
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I have ridden and like them

A friend had one and we traveled Canada once, that bike got a lot of attention. Very progressive rear end. 9 inches and super supple off the top so small bumps disappear. This one also had the Romic, they are fine but some tend to need more maintenance than others. Romic is easy to deal with should that come up. What year is the frame? I think there were shock compatability issues with earlier years so check in to that.
    Do you have any pics? The price seems pretty fair as long as condition is good for all. I would probably shoot for 1500 but I like to bargain. Does it have the floating rear brake? Gustav's are awesome powerful but not light. Most powerful brake out there for sure. Sounds like a solid build that could be a touch on the weighty side if that matters but will hold up to abuse for sure. Pics would be great to really give you an opinion.

You should also call GoRide and talk to them. They sell a lot of those frames and could give you a great estimate of the value of a used one. goride.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here's a picture of everything but the front fork (fork is currently on another bike):

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Go for it, assuming that you check all welds for cracking (not that Ventana is known for cracking..)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

agreed....

great parts on a great frame.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've been riding one for a year now and love it! It's probably the plushest bike I have ever thrown a leg over, which is good if you're riding somewhere rough but works against you if the place you're riding is smooth or pedally. I will mention that I have had one issue with the frame, but CS at Ventana has been great and will probably serve you much better than most larger companies could. I would say go for it!

Elitest thrill junkie
    There is an issue with the pivots, go search in the ventana forum.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Its got what plants crave
    The Romic isn't exactly cutting edge suspension technology, and it may be difficult to get it rebuilt if you have problems. Ventana does have a loyal following but I've never owned or ridden one so all I can really comment on is the parts spec. I think I'd offer a little less money if I were you.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlookin1
    Hey guys,

I havent been here for a while due to getting married 3 years ago, but am now in a much more (financially) stable place in life and really want to get back into Downhilling again. I see that things have changed so much since I was last looking for parts for my old FSR. I see new mainstream brands that I have never heard of before and, other than the reviews, I have no idea how good these new brands are.

Anyways, I found a local guy that is selling an '06 Ventana El Cuervo for $1700. I would like to know what people here think about this bike. I went to check it out and it seems to be in good condition. Here are the components:

- Romic-D rear shock (have never heard of this brand)
    - Marzocchi 888 Fork, upgraded to World Cup model (except it still has black stanchions)
    - Magura Gustav M 8" brakes, front and back
    - Mavic 721 Rims
    - MRP Chain Guide
    - Titanium Rear hub much like a Chris King (cant remember the brand....havent heard of it before)
    - Pretty sure it had XT derailleurs

I'm sure there were some other things of note, but that's the jist of it. What do you think.....is that a good price? I was really looking for the $1200-1400 range.

Thanks.
    Dude, that's plenty of bike for $1700...better yet if you can get a deal down from there. Frames are solid. That rear hub is most likely a Hadley.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Proud lame eBiker
    BTW: If you wind up not buying this, let me know I've got a buddy looking for a deal like this. Cheers-
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Had one, loved it. A great handling bike and I was sad to sell it since I had a lot of good times on it. (I bought a medium when I should've got a large. Took me 3 seasons to figure it out. )

Anyway, the Romic will be plush, but one of the traits it has are the adjustments. It's hard to tell if you're making a difference in the damping when you change it. Mine was like that anyway.

If you're getting back in the game, you couldn't pick a better DH frame IMO.

Old pic of me on mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

aka Jesse Palmer
    That's a great price for a totally sweet frame and what looks like a perfect build as well. Do it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Weird timing.

I was at the their factory today and they had a bunch of Cuervo frame sets ready to go.

Ventana's mfg facility was pretty sick!

Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

get it

i picked up an el cuervo earlier this year and i love it. so stiff and plush. eats up everything and it still jumps really well. mine has a dhx5 rear shock so i cant comment on the romic. took mine to whistler and northstar this season and its been amazing...no complaints. its strongest area is cornering for sure. it rails!!!!

heres mine the day i built it up....i sinced ditched those horrible tires for some minions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    The Romic isn't exactly cutting edge suspension technology, and it may be difficult to get it rebuilt if you have problems.
    True the Romic isn't the latest and greatest but it ain't that bad. Mine did blow up on me though after a jump as it spewed oil from the compression knob. Roger of Romic got it fixed and valved for my weight for a mere $65 shipped. I was about to spend for a CCDB but figured I might just give it a shot first. Let me tell you that Roger got it right and I figured I might just get a spare one for cheap and send it to Roger for tuning and keep it as back-up.

The parts spec on that bike is really nice specially those Magura Gustav brakes as those are the strongest brakes I've tried.

Go for it!
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

Hisforever
    ll the cuervo is one hella fun underrated DH frame. i had one all of last year and just sold it a month ago. its a very good bike. the only other bike i would rather have is a dhr, Turner.

the cuervo is a little heavy, but makes up for it in traction.

have fun if you get it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all of your input guys, I really appreciate it.

I thought it looked like a solid frame and build, but ya know....not being in the game for so long and you start to second guess yourself

Internal14 - I will definitely let you know if I get it. I will tell the seller as well.

Cheers -

StraightOuttaCompton
    sweet bike
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Got one 2 seasons ago. Super solid. Great service. Ridiculously stiff and corners well. I have had no maintenence issues as of yet from the frame. Only two problems I've seen/had is:

1. A friend crashed his (very fast) sending the bike into a front flip. This loaded to rear tire on the top surface (extending the travel) and broke the linkage. Easily replaced, but sort of a freak thing.

2. 2.5" Intense FROs can suck the chain into the chainstays resulting in badness. Easily fixed with a spoke wrapped from seatstay to chainstay (why didn't I think of that?). Never had problems with any Maxxis tire.

Overall it's a little heavy and maybe a Turner's a little better from that standpoint. But it's an awesome bike that serves the privateer very well! In our local Utah series I can think of at least 10 guys/gals that have raced this bike at the pro/semi-pro level in the past couple of years and never heard much in the way of complaints from them. Call Go-Ride and they can tell you all about it and offer excellent pricing and support.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I ended up not wanting to spend that much (even though I know it's a decent price....I'm trying to save up for a house too). I ended up getting a 2001 Intense M1 for $450 less than what he was askin. It was only ridden 15 times I have always loved the way the FSR/Horst linkage feels. Also, the guy who was selling it wouldnt budge on the price, so I said no thanks.

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    Cool, let's see the M-1.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlookin1
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I ended up not wanting to spend that much (even though I know it's a decent price....I'm trying to save up for a house too). I ended up getting a 2001 Intense M1 for $450 less than what he was askin. It was only ridden 15 times I have always loved the way the FSR/Horst linkage feels. Also, the guy who was selling it wouldnt budge on the price, so I said no thanks.

man ur lucky...that is a sweet bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I can ride a two-wheeler
    got pics of the new rig?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here it is:

I'll list the parts later....(I'm at work).
    Last edited by goodlookin1; 08-19-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    ll the cuervo is one hella fun underrated DH frame. i had one all of last year and just sold it a month ago. its a very good bike. the only other bike i would rather have is a dhr, Turner.

the cuervo is a little heavy, but makes up for it in traction.

have fun if you get it.
    +1 - exactley what he said. I have a buddy that rides one, it's a little porky but he has heavy parts on it too. It seems to be very well designed and constructed. gotta love electric sex welds

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok, so here are the parts:

- Hayes 8" Front Disc Brake, 6" Rear
    - Mavic 321 Rims
    - Monster T Fork
    - Fox Vanilla RC rear shock
    - Sram 9.0 Derailleur w/ gripshift
    - MRP chain guide
    - Thompson seatpost
    - Race Face cranks
    - Titanium rear freewheel (cant remember brand)
    - Custom milled fork stabilizer for 3" tire
    - Hayes 20mm front hub, Intense thru hub (12mm or 20mm?) rear hub.

I paid $1350 for it. I'm starting to wonder if I paid too much (it is a 2001 after all), but it's ok.....I love the feel of the M1.

Proud lame eBiker
    Don't forget the Hurricane Seatpost....those things were bas azz, I can't believe no one ever copied and ran with that design.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Wow. wow. That's not even a Horst Link. I guess you didn't realize that. After all the people on this board highly recommended the Ventana you went with that clapped out bike? Wow.

I recognize that bike from Craig'slist and I believe he's been trying to off that bike for about two years!

You paid to much IMO (Just my opinion mind you) and even though you were strapped for cash the Ventana was a MUCH better deal.

Sorry bro.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005

For the record....

Horst link
    Attachment 385646

Not Horst link
    Attachment 385645

Just look at your bike and ask yourself "Is there a pivot between the rear axel and the main pivot?" If not, you have a single pivot (like the M1 you just bought). If there is a pivot on the swingarm between the rear axel and the main pivot then you have a Horst Link. Your pivot is on your chain stay, hence not a Horst.

Don't get me wrong, you will have a blast on that bike but for a measly $450 you could have had modern and a much newer bike. Small price to pay in my book. There is no way I would have spent more than $600 for that bike. The Ventana was a MUUUUCH better deal.
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-29-2010 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I agree with Khemical here. Not horst, too old...oh well, ride it like you stole it and then upgrade later!

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Yeah, I agree with Khemical here. Not horst, too old...oh well, ride it like you stole it and then upgrade later!
    +1 I knew it wasn't a horst link the moment I saw the mono front triangle, didn't even need to look at the rear end. I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade so I wasn't going to be the first to bring it up. Oh well, ride it untill it's a pile of twisted metal and then find a legit good deal the next time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Oh well, I guess that's an "oops" on my part. I was always confused with what the Horst link actually was. I still love the feel of it. In the end, $450 is $450, and in this economy, I can use every bit I can get. It's not like I am going to be a professional, just a purely recreational rider.

Live and learn, right?

Gorilla Evo
    what is done is done, look forward, I am sure you will enjoy this bike as much as any. besides, there nothing like and "old school" bike.
    G-EVO

I can ride a two-wheeler
    yea, imo, you paid like twice as much as you should've...... pretty decent frame, but I would personally get a different shock, and seat to make look not ancient

it'll DEFINITELY get you started back into riding though,and its 98% about the rider after all

have fun on it

btw, post some action shots when you get those too

Members who have read this thread: 0