opinions? Uzzi or a Imperial?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

opinions? Uzzi or a Imperial?

ok, my bike is in its forth season, and there are some things i dont like bout it. so, next year, im gonna buy a new bike. now, i was origionally considering a Intense Uzzi VPX, but lately ive been thinkin about just ditchin the suspension, and gettin an Imperial instead. now, i live in ohio, but we have some pretty good DH stuff down in mohican (im goin to school in that area next year too) , but i ride just about any kinda ridding that falls into the "freeride" catagory, especially urban, dirt jumping, north shore stuff, and some trials. im seriously considering both bikes. but im stuck on the hump. i know the imperial will handle anything i can throw at it, plus itd be about 2 grand cheaper to build with the same build kit. what should i go for?

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    what bike do u currently have? for doin the stuff u mentioned, id go HT, but if ur gona do DH go FS. the uzzis a pretty cool bike too. idk, ur choice

Cheesiest
    Imperials look sooooooo sick. If I had the loot, I think I would go for an Imperial. I live in Montana and have not even contemplated an FS. I think that HT's just have too much going for them.

Just my .02

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I live in Ontario and I ride everything you mentionade above DJ,DH,FR,AM and I think the best bang for you buck ( for whay you want to do) is a HT. I bought mine and haven't looked back, they do everything and can handle anything a FS ( in the handes of a good pilot) can.
    Life is to short... get out and ride

mtbr member

Imperial

I have an imperial and it is awesome. For DJ, and urban there is no question that the imperial is the choice. Dh and shore riding i would give the vpx the upper hand. However, what you could do is build up a multi-purpose imperial. Buy a DC fork and a burly single crown fork that way you can switch out the forks for the type of riding you want to do. The imperial can handle any fork on the market and the chainstay length adjustment will lend itself useful when you want to Dj and DH. I prefer short chainstay lengths and single crown for urban and DJ's. Although i have never Dh'ed my imperial i think it would be fun to put a shiver on it an let it rip. Anyway either bike will be cool, but i would say the imperial is more versitile.

-tmoney

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yeah, i will probablly run a single crown travis 180mm fork on it. and as of right now, i am on a 2002 iron horse g-spot (SGS frame), with a swinger, jrt, and SRAM stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Huck
    plus itd be about 2 grand cheaper to build with the same build kit.
    Is the Imperial free? It would have to be to cost $2000 less than an Uzzi.

mtbr member
    go HT, but if you got the money or if your really want to you could go for the FS.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    imperial: 785
    Uzzi plus ti spring 2300 (aprox) ok, so about 1500, but thats still a huge chunk of change saved, pretty much, i just wanna make shure from people who DH on a hardtail that im not gonna suffer. i used to ride a hardtail, and i know how sweet they are, but id have to imagine there is alot less room for error on hardtail than a 8 inch uzzi. oh yeah, how do imperials ride on XC stuff? not that i ride much of it, but id like to be able to ride some on occasion, and that seat tube doesnt look like itd work with a long post. oh yeah, nother question, anyone know if the travis's are travel adjustable? i dont think they are, but oh well, ill just pick up a used dirt jumper if they arnt
    Last edited by Ohio_Huck; 06-03-2005 at 12:52 PM.

gnar, brah
    You mentioned trials....

do you have a good trials bike already? Unless you do, get the Imperial. Anyone who can ride trials on an Uzzi deserves a hearty handshake, if for one don't think it is possible.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2004
    haha, no, but i was thinkin of pickin up a cheap mod frame to screw with (if i get a dually). from what little of it is possible on my bike, i love it,but a hardtail with a hadley hub should make a ton of difference than my crappy hubs as far as pedalin maneuvers. ive eatin **** too many times on wheelie drops where my pedal stroke isnt enough to keep the wheel up and engage the hub. granted, trials isnt my main intrest, but its still super fun, and is great for buildiing technical skills. so yeah, im pretty certain im gonna go with the evil. anyone know how the climb (sit down climbs)? i always have the option of the SL if the Imperial is to far back.

mtbr member
    the uzzi is overpriced get a scream frame. and a cheap hardtail (steel) not the imperial. get both sell your gspot frame and keep the parts. now all you need is one bikes set of parts and you have a real freeride bike and a djer. not a compromise bike like the uzzi.
    Divide Bike Bags

mtbr member
    Looks like some Uzzi love is required here.

On a issue note, the Uzzi will pedal better than the multi-single-pivot Scream or simular bike. Infact, several of my good freinds just took a criuse on my Uzzi and are completely amazed at how well the bike pedals. Dare I say that it jumps to action like, a XC bike!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    screw banshees. thats not a bike for me. yeah, they are sick, but i dont need or want something that overbuilt. the whole idea of this bike would be to build a lightwieght, longtravel freeride bike. id be shooting for the 35 lb range on the uzzi, and 30 lbs or so on the imperial. im on a big heavy bike right now, and i want something thats fairly light, flickable, and is cappable of very tech riding. im pretty certain ill be gettin the imperial, just because it seems more versitile. The Uzzi sare amazing bikes, and if i wasnt startin college next year, id probably buy one. Now that ive decided on the imp, standard or SL? like i said, i i want something that can be ridden for some distance riding (on occasion), and the SL looks like itd fit the bill. but is the frame/geometry the same? thanks to everyone for helpin me out. though i should probably just ask DW huh?