Opinions on this Big Hit Comp..- Mtbr.com
    Renegade of Krunk

Opinions on this Big Hit Comp..

Here's the deal, I've always wanted a full suspension bike when I want to tear down the trails by my house without being beaten to death on my hardtail. Also, this summer I am going to drive up to a ski resort this summer because they have some pretty sick trails up there. The lifts are open so I want to have a DH bike I can use up their on the rougher trails since I am planning to spend a lot of time there this summer.

Anyhoo, I've been eyeing a FS bike in the back of my head for a while, but didn't plan on spending over $1,500 since I just dropped 1,400 on my hardtail a few months ago. Anways, I found an '01 Specialized Big Hit for sale in a town that is about 2 hours of north of me..Talk about luck since I wanted the bike to be in state so I could go pick it up. Here are the specs on it:
    - 01 Big Hit
    - '04 Z1 Freeride
    - Hayes HFX-9's
    - MRP DH guide
    - Bombshell rims
    - Profile rims and Titec stem (which is too long and I'd swap out)
    - New XT rear derailler and lx front along with new deore shifters
    - Fox Vanilla R coil shock
    - 4 tires, 2 are like new
    - New FSA BB and pig headset

Most of the parts that were upgraded have barely been used and he wants $900 obo. Sounds good to me, I'd probablly ask a bit lower since it hasn't been sold yet along with the fact I can pick it up. Here's a pic:

Opinions are welcomed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

mtbr member
    Just wondering is that a dent near the head tube?

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by RuNDmC1087
    Good question I'm gonna have to find a pic of a big hit frame and see if thats just the design or if thats a dent.

Nice spot

Edit:
    After looking at other pictures I can't really tell. It looks too smooth/perfect to be a dent but I'm not gonna finalize that. I'll email the guy and ask for a close up of it and ask if it is dented..Like he would admit it
    Last edited by E30Evolution; 05-16-2005 at 05:39 PM.

Team
    Hmmm...

Glad to Be Alive
    $900.00 is a little too high, but bike looks well taken care of (please note that could be an old pic).

Upgrades....rear "big Hit Link" includes another shock...makes travel go up another 2 inches...net proceeds plusher bike.

Maybe a bigger fork....like a Shiver or 7 inch 888 or 2004 Super T

How much you weigh. If you are under 170 or not really an experienced rider then don't worry about upgrades
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    Hmmm...
    haha hmmm very similar
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team
    Hmmm...
    My twin sister.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    Hmmm...
    My twin sister.
    Did you ever get a big link for urs?

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    $900.00 is a little too high, but bike looks well taken care of (please note that could be an old pic).

Upgrades....rear "big Hit Link" includes another shock...makes travel go up another 2 inches...net proceeds plusher bike.

Maybe a bigger fork....like a Shiver or 7 inch 888 or 2004 Super T

How much you weigh. If you are under 170 or not really an experienced rider then don't worry about upgrades
    I'm rediculously under 170lbs so I'm not too worried about being too much for the suspension to handle I wouldn't consider myself a totally newb to downhill trails and all, I've just never had a good FS bike wtih a decent amount of travel to play around with.

That dent/whatever on the frame doesn't look to inviting though I may just wait and check some local classifieds sections online and see if anything else comes up. I've got a while to buy a bike and don't want to jump on the first one I see..Especially if the frame is dented.

A Stinky, Bullit, or Big Hit is what I am keeping my eyes open for since they are the most affordable and are pretty easy to find used.

Cynical Bystander
    I'd go for it. The bighit even in the 6inch mode has some of the most supple suspension I've ridden. Despite it not being the most efficient it feels very comfortable and rides amazingly well. That bike looks like a good setup at a good price and for a first suspension bike it hits the spot in my opinion. Depending on the trails near you you may eventually wanna upgrade to a fork with more travel but I think you'll be quite content with what's there. As far as that dent goes, I can't tell if its really a dent or not. It might just be a blemish that the camera exaggerated. I'd ask for some clearer pics or since its so close to you, go check it out that way you can tell its severity. In my opinion though, a small dent in a bighit isn't going to do too much. The frames are massive and can put up with a lot.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    maybe if we ever ride together you could ride mine. i mean we probably live like 15 minutes away from each other and never ridden together.

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig
    maybe if we ever ride together you could ride mine. i mean we probably live like 15 minutes away from each other and never ridden together.
    Yeah, it'd probablly be a good idea for me to actually ride a BH before droppin down some green on one. My last day of school is this thursday and I get my license on monday..We'll definitely have to meet up and go ride. Papago looks so fun

Authority is dead!
    I would say don't fall for it. 6", pos brakes, shock, xc mode pretty much. And it has Z150, not Z1 FR. You would want a double crown, trust me on that. It could be a mean hucking machine, but it's not the case here. Keep looking. Look for either one with Big link or Expert model of later years.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Authority is dead!
    looks more like a shadow from the cable rather than a dent.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

mtbr member
    i dont get out of school till the day before memorial day weekend but i have been drivin for a while and i make trips to papago after school at least twice a week. dont tell me youve never been to papago? papago is probably the most well known "freeride park" in arizona.

anyways, we will hit it up. keep in touch.

gnar, brah
    If you buy the bike and swap the fork, PM me...I'm looking (very passively) for a Z150.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBlueJoker
    haha hmmm very similar
    Is it me or does the rear wheel on this bike looks the same size as the front wheel?
    are these both 24" or 26"....maybe I'm going blind and can't make the difference.

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig
    i dont get out of school till the day before memorial day weekend but i have been drivin for a while and i make trips to papago after school at least twice a week. dont tell me youve never been to papago? papago is probably the most well known "freeride park" in arizona.

anyways, we will hit it up. keep in touch.
    Unfortunately I haven't No license right now so my parents probablly wouldnt want to drag my ass out there since it's a pretty far drive. Pap looks SO dope though, that like massive stepup you've showed some pics of you jumping looks insane..Freakin huge. Definitely gonna have to meet up and ride this summer, I'm itchin to hit papago and sunrise.

And Hozzer,
    the white Big Hit DH Biker posted is running a 26/24 stagger from what I can tell.

SouthernDevilz/RoguePosse
    Feb 2004
    eh i just wanna post mine

the 3.0s were only to compensate for my small penis. now rollin on intense tires. 2.7 front and 2.5 rear.
    www.southerndevilz.net
    www.rogueposse.net

Renegade of Krunk
    Big Hits with Shivers are sex on wheels Or any bike with Shivers for that matter

Innovate or die!
    after having a bighit 04 for a while.....don't get it. Switching to the 26 26 demo was honestly such an amazingly big difference. You can easily find better bikes for around 1500 with technology like swinger 4-ways and maybe good dual crown. An M1 would be a perfect alternative.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RuNDmC1087
    think it is lighting
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I think 900 is way too much for a 2001 bike. and that is starting to show age.
    i'm sure you can find something better for that money. check the clasifieds here, or www.pinkbike.com

Quote Originally Posted by E30Evolution
    Here's the deal, I've always wanted a full suspension bike when I want to tear down the trails by my house without being beaten to death on my hardtail. Also, this summer I am going to drive up to a ski resort this summer because they have some pretty sick trails up there. The lifts are open so I want to have a DH bike I can use up their on the rougher trails since I am planning to spend a lot of time there this summer.

Anyhoo, I've been eyeing a FS bike in the back of my head for a while, but didn't plan on spending over $1,500 since I just dropped 1,400 on my hardtail a few months ago. Anways, I found an '01 Specialized Big Hit for sale in a town that is about 2 hours of north of me..Talk about luck since I wanted the bike to be in state so I could go pick it up. Here are the specs on it:
    - 01 Big Hit
    - '04 Z1 Freeride
    - Hayes HFX-9's
    - MRP DH guide
    - Bombshell rims
    - Profile rims and Titec stem (which is too long and I'd swap out)
    - New XT rear derailler and lx front along with new deore shifters
    - Fox Vanilla R coil shock
    - 4 tires, 2 are like new
    - New FSA BB and pig headset

Most of the parts that were upgraded have barely been used and he wants $900 obo. Sounds good to me, I'd probablly ask a bit lower since it hasn't been sold yet along with the fact I can pick it up. Here's a pic:

Opinions are welcomed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hozzerr1
    Is it me or does the rear wheel on this bike looks the same size as the front wheel?
    are these both 24" or 26"....maybe I'm going blind and can't make the difference.
    they are 24 inch front and rear