Opinions of 06 66sl ?- Mtbr.com
    Some Assembly Required

Opinions of 06 66sl ?

I dropped a lil coin on an 06 66sl, should be here next week. I don't care about the adj. travel part, I'm trying to lighten up the ft end of my bike a lil bit. I'm not changing my Azonic Outlaw wheel, 2.7 Nevegal, Holzfeller stem, Monkey light h-bars, or my 8" Juicy 7, so I've gone to next thing, a lighter fork. I'm not big on air forks, but everyone around me, 2-3 riding buds, that have them, love them. The reviews are pretty good, but what are some real world experiences?

Waste of our time if you haven't spent time on the fork.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been ridin them on my six pack since july, and they are def a sweet pair of forks. no other 170 single crown is so light. they are solid and really reliable, perhaps not quite as plush as a coil zoke or van 36, but once broken in they're easily plush enough. confusing to setup though. search the turner forum for more info

not so super...
    Excellent choice! It is a great fork IMO. Mine is very smooth and coil like. It had some troubles (twisted lowers cuasing stiction) in the beginning but Zocchi took care of that and it has been trouble free.

I can get a very plush and controlled ride by lowering the positive chambers to 15psi and bump the PAR up to 20-25psi.

Get a good low pressure pump - one with a max psi of no more than 175psi if you want to get accurate readings. This is truely a low pressure fork.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    I've owned the '06 model for allmost a year now, and I also have the '07 model. The '06 is a fine fork, and if you're not concerned with changing travel much, the '06 is pretty much everything the '07 is. I got the new one because changing the travel often works for me.
    Allow some time for the bushings to break in, and for a learning curve as you figure out how to set it up. SSINGA and I have a lot of experience with just that, so if you have any questions, you should hit us up.
    The fork can feel as good as any coil fork, including other 'zokes, and better in one respect; you create the springrate that is just right for you and your conditions.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I've owned the '06 model for allmost a year now, and I also have the '07 model. The '06 is a fine fork, and if you're not concerned with changing travel much, the '06 is pretty much everything the '07 is. I got the new one because changing the travel often works for me.
    Allow some time for the bushings to break in, and for a learning curve as you figure out how to set it up. SSINGA and I have a lot of experience with just that, so if you have any questions, you should hit us up. The fork can feel as good as any coil fork, including other 'zokes, and better in one respect; you create the springrate that is just right for you and your conditions.

May have to do that. Thanks.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

moaaar shimz
    I did a exact thread like a week ago, I bought my 66 SL and I'm waiting for its arrival. Check the Turner forums, looooots of info there.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah, MWOH, it's a great fork. It's ultra-tuneable and because of the RC2 damper, I think it performs much better than older Marz air forks. One warning, however...pay no attention to Rene's or SS's suggestions...they know nothing about this fork

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Yeah, MWOH, it's a great fork. It's ultra-tuneable and because of the RC2 damper, I think it performs much better than older Marz air forks. One warning, however...pay no attention to Rene's or SS's suggestions...they know nothing about this fork
    What have I gotten in to ???

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    What have I gotten in to ???
    Welcome to my world!

Aren't you located in NC somewhere? I head up that way to ride every so often, maybe you could show me the way to some killer local trails next time??
    Nothing to see here.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Welcome to my world!

Aren't you located in NC somewhere? I head up that way to ride every so often, maybe you could show me the way to some killer local trails next time??

Yep western NC, Hickory, Morganton area. I'd be more than happy to show you around.
    Where do you ride when you come up?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Yep western NC, Hickory, Morganton area. I'd be more than happy to show you around.
    Where do you ride when you come up?
    We have a place off 276 in Cruso (between Brevard and Waynesville), so I usually ride pisgah trails near there and Dupont.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    One warning, however...pay no attention to Rene's or SS's suggestions...they know nothing about this fork
    Man w/one hand, pay no attention to the rantings and ravings of MTBR member TNC. As he is one of the fewer members of MTBR that is older than I am, one might sumise that he is then wiser. Sadly, that is not the case. Age has rotted the old man's cerebral functions, alzheimer's has set in, and the constant tequila binges don't help either. The decrepid old louse can barely type the few basic words he uses over and over again. You know what I mean. Like visiting your great grandfather at the nursing home. 'Nuff said.

You'll like the fork.
    Last edited by Renegade; 12-15-2006 at 03:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here is a link to a thread the Noel (Knolly) posted and it has seen a lot of good information added to his post.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=241645

TNC
    noMAD man
    Rene, you'd better learn to respect your elders, you whippersnapper! And I'll have you know I haven't had any tequila in...let's see...what time is it right now?

not so super...
    Rene, you'd better learn to respect your elders, you whippersnapper! And I'll have you know I haven't had any tequila in...let's see...what time is it right now?
    I've been Tequila free for at least the last 30 seconds (I was finishing my beer).

Mom always said:
    Last edited by SSINGA; 12-15-2006 at 07:11 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

not so super...
    ...and I almost forgot this one

Nothing to see here.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Dang, SS...you're making me thirsty...LOL!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Noel's post is on the '07 ATA model, and there's enough difference between the two year models of 66SLs to be reasonably dissimilar. Setup is somewhat different. The Turner forum has the best history of excellent '06 66SL setup tips.

Members who have read this thread: 0