Opinion on wheelset options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Opinion on wheelset options

Wondering what you guys think is a better option, the Chainreaction Hope Pro II custom build laced to like some Mavic 721/729/823's or some 08 Deetraks http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=32058

N* Bomber Crew
    DeeTraks use the Mavic EX 325 Rim...the 823 Rim is so much better, lighter, and can go UST Tubeless. Hope Pro II hubs are solid.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I can't find out if the Deetraks are available with 150mm rear hub, I only see 135mm so if thats the case I wouldn't be able to use them anyway. Can anyone confirm this? I am relatively new so if there is some kind of solution to this using spacers or something let me know. I need any and all help I can get! Thanks

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    DeeTraks use the Mavic EX 325 Rim...the 823 Rim is so much better, lighter, and can go UST Tubeless. Hope Pro II hubs are solid.
    What he said... Get Hadleys instead though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    not a big far of mavic hubs. the freehub bodies are like little bombs lookin for a trigger, the engagement is lackluster and ive also found the mavic bearings to be seriously lacking in long term quality compared to many others. not sure if they do this with all their wheelsets but just recently i had to send a custys entire wheel back to them for a simple hub replacement and respoke job after they refused to send a new hub shell (long rotor bolts are bad on crossrides skippy! snap goes the rotor tab.). it kinda burned me that i had to pay them labor for a job im quite prepared to do myself. the good news is they did a great job. i know these guys are able to produce some of the best hoops in the world and im waitin for their hubs to catch up with this notion.

ive never delt with cr but im growin to be a hope fan. 1 set of pro 2's/721's/comps/brass on the dh bike and thinkin hard about another set of pro 2's/open pro's/super comps/alloy for a surly cross check ill use for loaded touring after buildin a similar set for a pal. love mavic hoops, just not their hubs and proprietary wheelsets.

good luck with yer decision.
    No, I'm NOT back!

here ya go. thank me for savin ya from the spacer idea.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for all the help! In response to the link you gave me, I was looking at a set of 08's from wheelworld because they were on sale for $300. On their site though it doesn't specify at all what the rear hub size is. At this point I am still leaning towards the Pro II build, can't go wrong with Hope hubs

good point. maybe a call or email will clear that up.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I may give them a call tomorrow but we will see. From the information you gave me their hubs sound a bit dodgy so I will most likely go with the Pro II's. Thanks again

just my opinion. others may feel diff. all the same, id have to say the hopes are still the better hub overall no matter the degree of "better". raptors rim info is also a very good thing to consider. pinned rims are much more prone to splitting than welded rims. consider yer needs and choose from there.

happy to be of some help man.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have read before that pinned are more prone to splitting that welded but what is the actual difference between the two?

instead of the 2 ends bein welded together inside and out then machined or ground flat, theyre held by pins inside the rim bead in most cases, creating a weak spot. this allows them to pull apart rather than distort and return to shape or close to it. this can also leave a sharp surface inside the rim that has been known to damge tire beads. if hit reeeeeeeeeeeeealy hard, they can also totaly come apart on impact but then again, even a welded rim will fail given enough energy.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I see. Thanks again you have been a big help

happens once in a great while.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Roll on Spring Time!
    Happend to my front 325, kaboom!
    At least I got to see how a pinned rim works.
    I just want to ride.

percocet pioneer.
    Has anyone checked out transition's wheelset? The Revolution 32's? they are right around 300 I think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The CRC builds are amazing, i had them build me up a set of pro 2's laced to 823's with dt spokes and locking nipples and they came out amazing. they are dead stright, super stiff and pretty bomb proof. pro 2's are i think the best hub in there price range, build to last, easy to rebuild, and if you get the 135 spacing you can convert it from a Qr, to 12mm TA to 10MM AT, or bolt on
    xterrain :Modifying a helmet is like double wrapping condoms, more than likely it'll do more harm than good.

good description of the hopes. nailed it in my eyes.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    for everything Ive read or seen bang for the buck!
    Hope pro IIs for the $ laced to 823s are a strong build.
    For faster engagement and still a lower cost go Hadley from there its king and I9.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    Has anyone checked out transition's wheelset? The Revolution 32's? they are right around 300 I think?
    Yes but not available in 150mm rear hub, at least that I know of.

Members who have read this thread: 0