Opening day at Diablo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Opening day at Diablo?

How crowed does it get on opening day? Lift lines? Is it anything like it was at Diabloween, or worse? I can't wait to ride there again, but I'm wondering if it's worth waiting an extra week until it calms down.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Go to platty work Saturday and ride for free plus free lunch, free beer and fresh uncrowded trails.
    Last edited by daisycutter; 04-23-2011 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I didn't think they were open until sometime next month? It's about two and a half hours away from me. I'll have to try and get up there sometime this season, might have to convert some friends to DH first though, two and a half hours is a long and boring drive by yourself.

That does sound like a pretty cool deal though!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    Go to platty work Saturday and ride for free plus free lunch, free beer and fresh uncrowded trails.
    funny. Go to platty and help the resort fix their trails that they were too cheap to fix themselves? or go to a park that is much better and you don't have to labor like a slave just to ride... simple decision. Platty is sooo 1999.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nycfreerider
    funny. Go to platty and help the resort fix their trails that they were too cheap to fix themselves? or go to a park that is much better and you don't have to labor like a slave just to ride... simple decision. Platty is sooo 1999.
    fuuny. trail work has been underway for a while already, but im sure you already knew that preaching from your internet soap box
    its just a way of people having fun with their friends digging, while riding for free on sunday, free lunch on saturday and getting another free lift ticket for another time of the year. yeah, that sounds like a total drag. your volunteers must love you!
    if doing constant trail work all year (unlike diablow) on the best riding in the east is 1999, then lets party.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alright, that's all well and good, but my original question has yet to be answered. I'd love to get out to Platty sometime, but to go digging Saturday and then back out on Sunday it would be 10+ hours of driving. Diablo is just more convenient for me right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yes it will be very crowded w/ long lift lines. thankfully their lift is fast, but there still will be a ton of people there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth
    yes it will be very crowded w/ long lift lines. thankfully their lift is fast, but there still will be a ton of people there.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Go Monday. The place will be dead. ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They're not open week days until July.

mtbr member
    Thats why the place will be dead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    opening day should be ok. most of the riders will be at the race
    11 Specialized SX
    09 Giant STP ss
    08 Santa Cruz V-10
    08 Mongoose Black diamond
    05 Cannondale Prophet

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    My friends and I went down the 2nd day last year, and I think that's the way to go. Rentals are just broken in (in case you're going that route), trails are fresh, there's a good crowd but it's not crowded.

A few of us are heading down Sunday, May 8th in case anyone is interested in meeting up.
    Go ride your bike.

Supercutie =O)
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DEST
    opening day should be ok. most of the riders will be at the race
    What race are you talking about? I haven't heard of one on the 30th. What mountain is it at?
    M1 for sale. let me know if your interested

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorltd
    What race are you talking about? I haven't heard of one on the 30th. What mountain is it at?
    massanutten. though i dont expect that race to effect opening day's attendance at all

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth
    massanutten. though i dont expect that race to effect opening day's attendance at all
    opening day will be full but not diabloween full most if not all the racer boys will be at massanutten race and thats enough to not have extra long lift lines...
    11 Specialized SX
    09 Giant STP ss
    08 Santa Cruz V-10
    08 Mongoose Black diamond
    05 Cannondale Prophet

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hitting it Sunday, should be a little better that opening day. Diabloween last year actually wasn't that bad

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mcap
    Hitting it Sunday, should be a little better that opening day. Diabloween last year actually wasn't that bad
    Yeah, I had no problem with the line/crowd at Diabloween.

Members who have read this thread: 0