Which One?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which One?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Which One?

I finally sold my motorcycle so I can get my new bike. I was planning on getting a Demo 8 this whole time but it is 3600 (4000 and some with tax) and ill have to wait till the end of january to get it. On the other hand they have a 04 Demo 9 for 2800 (3100 and some with tax) and I could get it when ever I want. Im pretty sure that the Demo 8 would fit me a little better since im 5'6" 130 but I rode Demo 9 and it felt good but it was a little heavy and it was a medium and I would probly get a small D8 but that not a big deal. Just wanted you opinons on what I should get. Btw I do mostly downhill and some freeride.

Generation X freerider
    just wait and save for the demo8 cuz its lighter and just a better bike. Also tax would have to be more than 10%, thats a lot in CT its just 6%. If you sell your big hit let me know cuz im in the market for one

mtbr member
    ive got a friend who is selling his...

send a pm to eastcoastbender for more info...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    In CA its 8.25, I didnt wanna go into price details (its closer to 3150 and 4050) I dont really mind the price as much as the wait .

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    ive got a friend who is selling his...

send a pm to eastcoastbender for more info...
    what kind of bike are you and your friend gonna get?

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by cdog117
    just wait and save for the demo8 cuz its lighter and just a better bike. Also tax would have to be more than 10%, thats a lot in CT its just 6%. If you sell your big hit let me know cuz im in the market for one
    I'm selling one too. PM for info.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Both the Demo8 and Demo9 are great bikes, but they are heavy bishes and there's really no getting away from that. Looking at Specialized's site, the geometries are mostly identical, the only two discernable differences being the 9 having a slightly higher BB height and a 1* slacker seat tube angle (bah).

According to the Specialized rep who was rolling in a "demo" Demo8 to my LBS, the Demo8 weighs 42lb or some such...but they weigh them with SINGLE-PLY tires, so go ahead and add 3lb to that figure for the "real" weight. So before you wind up buying a Demo8 over a Demo9, I'd recommend finding out what the exact weight difference is between the frames...which is the only weight figure that really matters as it's the one your stuck with.

Also I'd take into consideration that the '04 Demo 8 will come with a 888RR, where the '05 Demo 9 will come with a Boxxer Race.
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well for heavy searching on here , it looks like the Demo 9 is 3-4 pound heavier than the 8 and I think I can get that weight down to about 2-3 with new tubes and tires. Saving money and time also sounds cool.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoxpro
    Well for heavy searching on here , it looks like the Demo 9 is 3-4 pound heavier than the 8 and I think I can get that weight down to about 2-3 with new tubes and tires. Saving money and time also sounds cool.
    save more weight and time...go tubeless

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was reading that thing on nsmb.com and it looked pretty cool, i didnt want to have to buy new rims and tires when I dont need them (well if there not broke).

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoxpro
    I was reading that thing on nsmb.com and it looked pretty cool, i didnt want to have to buy new rims and tires when I dont need them (well if there not broke).
    convert almost any rim with stans....just get a rim strip
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    So I could save about 2 pounds by going tubeless, what else could I do to save weight?

mtbr member

Demo 8 vs Demo 9

If i remember correctly for 05 the demo 8 frame is like 1.5 lbs lighter then the 9 frame. Also for 2005 both come with a ti coil which should save about 200 gms or a little less then a half pound. I called specialized about 04 vs 05 demo 9 frames and found that they lightened up the 05 frame by the ti coil, a slightly lighter trapazoidal link and a slightly lighter lower pivot mount at the bottom brkt. I am not sure of the total weight savings from 04 to 05 but with the exception of the ti coil prob. less then a half pound. Hope this helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0