OMG!! Will it ever end????????- Mtbr.com
    dnt b a clwn thro it down

OMG!! Will it ever end????????

So I just got my new shock yesterday which was supposed to be the correct length for my frame. But instead of hitting my seat tube when I go through like 2in of travel, it takes like 5in.. I just dropped like a 4 stair and it hit.... I am sooooo mad....

Sorry just felt like gettin that outa me.

Cynical Bystander
    So it hit before when you would go through 2" of travel but now it takes 5"..... That sucks.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Wanna be, but broken!
    Nov 2004
    Ouch what are you riding? and what are shock are you running?
    Never good enough for my bike. But I got the scars to prove that I tried to be good enough.

I've got an '02 Nicolai Helius DH. The current shock on it is an 8.75" x 2.5". and the shock before it was a 8.0" x 2.0".....

l337 |31k3r
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop
    I've got an '02 Nicolai Helius DH. The current shock on it is an 8.75" x 2.5". and the shock before it was a 8.0" x 2.0".....
    Call up romic, see what they can do for you. Sucks about your troubles...best of luck.
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

Cynical Bystander
    So.....why didnt you figure out the proper sized shock you need?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    sure you are using the right mounting position of the many thousands offered on Nicolais?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

I was told that this size would work.. Also when I talked to Romic they said that they would Call up Nicolai to find out the proper size (don't actually know if they did). The proper size supposedly is 210 mm. Which is quite a bit shorter but the guy at Nicolai that I emailed said that this shock should work. So now I am goin going to call Romic on Monday and find out what I can do about it.

Cynical Bystander
    I was told that this size would work.. Also when I talked to Romic they said that they would Call up Nicolai to find out the proper size (don't actually know if they did). The proper size supposedly is 210 mm. Which is quite a bit shorter but the guy at Nicolai that I emailed said that this shock should work. So now I am goin going to call Romic on Monday and find out what I can do about it.
    Why didn't you call up Nicolai yourself or check their site or something....seems like it'd be more reliable then going off of what somebody said...IMO.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Theres only 4 different mounting positions on my bike. I couldn't find any info on an '02 Nicolai Helius DH on their site. If you can that would be great but everything there is '05 as far as I know.

Stand back

here's an idea

remove the spring from the shock when you get it, install it and check clearances then. This way, when you drop a set of steps, you should know in advance whether you're going to have clearance problems or not.
    But that's just an idea...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Cynical Bystander
    Theres only 4 different mounting positions on my bike. I couldn't find any info on an '02 Nicolai Helius DH on their site. If you can that would be great but everything there is '05 as far as I know.
    Oh okay. Did you try calling them though? That seems to me like the most obvious solution, but then again its because I don't have a job so whenever I buy stuff I make 125% sure its what I need.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Never really thought about taking the spring off, but it could save my bike if I were to do something where I bottomed out. I will most likely call them on Monday.. Unless their email sums up what I need to know...

Former Noob Herder
    dont call Romic, they only make shocks, they didnt design the bike. Call Nicolai and ask what position is supposed to work since they told you it would.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    dont call Romic, they only make shocks, they didnt design the bike. Call Nicolai and ask what position is supposed to work since they told you it would.
    jeez zedro, didnt' you read my post earlier. Psh....I can't believe you weren't on top of it before I was.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    jeez zedro, didnt' you read my post earlier. Psh....I can't believe you weren't on top of it before I was.
    your just begging to get more posts removed arent ya

What's supposed to stop the back tire from hitting my seat tube? Is the shock suppossed to do that. Because its not my derailleur hits the chainstay and tire hits the seat tube to stop it which is totally wrong. I took the shock off and moved it through its travel and it didn;t hit the little rubber stopper before it hit my derailleur..

Former Noob Herder
    What's supposed to stop the back tire from hitting my seat tube? Is the shock suppossed to do that. Because its not my derailleur hits the chainstay and tire hits the seat tube to stop it which is totally wrong. I took the shock off and moved it through its travel and it didn;t hit the little rubber stopper before it hit my derailleur..
    i take it this frame is similar? is the shock mounted in the lowest hole possible?

also to add, some bikes will get some tire/frame contact, although its not typically as bad as you described. If the shock really does have too much stroke, you could put a shim on the shaft.

Former Noob Herder
    one more thing, are the dropouts adjustable, and if so is the chainstay set in the longest position?

That is a pic of my exact frame.... here is a picture of it right now.. Just with a 5th.... My dropouts aren't adjustable... lemme take pic of my frame to photoshop so I can describe the problem...
    Attached Images Attached Images

BTW it is in the top hole (most travel setting)

Former Noob Herder
    BTW it is in the top hole (most travel setting)
    dude, thats why its not working. When you use a longer stroke shock, you are already gaining more travel. You have to use the lower mounts to reduce the leverage. I bet using the lowest hole will give you the most travel possible, if not the next one up.

i knew something wasent setup right

But if I put it in the very bottom whole it bring my drop out up about and inch or two.. so instead of 150mm it goes down to like 100mm. even with the longer stroke it doesn't have as much distance to travel..... tell me if this makes any sense....

Former Noob Herder
    But if I put it in the very bottom whole it bring my drop out up about and inch or two.. so instead of 150mm it goes down to like 100mm. even with the longer stroke it doesn't have as much distance to travel..... tell me if this makes any sense....
    try every hole combination and compress the shock, its not like you have alot of options here, only 4 of them. If nothing works, either a different shock is in order, or maybe Nicolai has different linkage plates for it.

Cynical Bystander
    your just begging to get more posts removed arent ya

I'll never say anything against you again.

Tony
    is making a comeback.

Cynical Bystander
    dude, thats why its not working. When you use a longer stroke shock, you are already gaining more travel. You have to use the lower mounts to reduce the leverage. I bet using the lowest hole will give you the most travel possible, if not the next one up.

i knew something wasent setup right
    Wouldn't it be somewhat similar to how on a Scream you've got a shock that of course changes the travel based on where it is, so shouldn't he have probably just kept the shorter original shock and just used it in the long travel setting?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Here is the picture of my problem sorry if its sort of disoriented. I am going to just call Nicolai and see what they think is best....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I should be able to run it in all possible positions w/o having a problem though....

But thanks guys for all the input I do appreciate it..

Former Noob Herder
    I should be able to run it in all possible positions w/o having a problem though....
    not if its not the stock size shock, which you already know it isnt. Linkage plates with various settings can sometimes accomadate different sized shocks but not necessarily in all available settings. This is why it can technically work, just not to spec.

So all I need to do is find out what was the original shock size and I should be able to run it in the longest travel setting w/o it hitting. My shock is supposed to be 210mm long, but since that is no ordinary size shock in the U.S. they said I should go for a 216mm shock.

Cynical Bystander
    So all I need to do is find out what was the original shock size and I should be able to run it in the longest travel setting w/o it hitting. My shock is supposed to be 210mm long, but since that is no ordinary size shock in the U.S. they said I should go for a 216mm shock.
    Also when you put it in the lower travel setting it is going to change the geometry of your frame because you are reconfiguring the way you have it setup. So I think that in your picture above, when its in the lowest setting you shouldn't be surprised to find that it changes things around and you'll get less travel than the higher one because when you attach the shock to a link that is further away from the other end of the shock you are shortening the distance, therefore shortening the amount of travel which is done by having the frame go through a little bit of its overall travel and when you attach the shock it just limits it from going past that. If that made sense at all....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Ya thats basically what I was saying.... it also lowers my bb like an inch.

Former Noob Herder
    Ya thats basically what I was saying.... it also lowers my bb like an inch.
    what you might not be realising tho is you cant compare that to the upper hole setting, because that one may infact be incorrect (ie. raises the BB too much). Remember, you are using a longer shock than stock, so using a shorter shock will lower the BB anyways.

Try the next hole up.

True enough.... I'll try that tomorrow... but when I start putting it in the lower whole I lose the 'plushness' and it starts to feel like a fr/dh bike.

Former Noob Herder
    True enough.... I'll try that tomorrow... but when I start putting it in the lower whole I lose the 'plushness' and it starts to feel like a fr/dh bike.
    plushness is described as a fr/dh bike...

anyways, the spring rate is also affected by the hole settings too (ie. the spring may be wrong as well).

this is why i hate multiple shock settings, it completly ****s people up.

I just came up with a good idea.... I am going to take my bike back to the guy that built it up and let him fix the problem so I don't have to get all stressed out about something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. I am really starting to not like this frame very much because of all this... it is much simpler when there is one whole. all i am ever going to use is the longest travel setting so i want to get a shock accordingly.

Stand back

que?

it is much simpler when there is one whole.
    one whole what?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Former Noob Herder
    .. it is much simpler when there is one whole. all i am ever going to use is the longest travel setting so i want to get a shock accordingly.
    dont worry about using that top setting, because you may be able to use that shock with another setting and have it work out the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    one whole what?
    If you read the whole thing we were talking about how my frame has 4 different shock positions. And how everything is much simpler when you only have one 'hole' to put the shock in.

Hey zedro, do you think that if I do put it in one of the lower mounts I will still get the same ride quality as the higher mounts even though the bb is lower?

Cynical Bystander
    I just came up with a good idea.... I am going to take my bike back to the guy that built it up and let him fix the problem so I don't have to get all stressed out about something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. I am really starting to not like this frame very much because of all this... it is much simpler when there is one whole. all i am ever going to use is the longest travel setting so i want to get a shock accordingly.
    Simple solution that should have been done in the beginning....Call Nicolai.....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Former Noob Herder
    Hey zedro, do you think that if I do put it in one of the lower mounts I will still get the same ride quality as the higher mounts even though the bb is lower?
    well like i said, the bike is too high with that shock in the upper position. Also you generally get better ride quality using longer levers (ie. lower leverage ratios) with longer shocks. But you may not have the right spring tho.

Cynical Bystander
    The answer is no. As zedro said earlier with different adjustments for the shock there will be different spring rates which will change the way the bike rides which means that under the right circumstances you might use one in one type of riding and another in some ohter type of riding.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Cynical Bystander
    The answer is no. As zedro said earlier with different adjustments for the shock there will be different spring rates which will change the way the bike rides which means that under the right circumstances you might use one in one type of riding and another in some ohter type of riding.
    Damn I'm too late.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Shouldn't there be one shock that works in all of them with out any collisions? I mean who would buy this frame if they knew that for each different mount you would need a different sized shock?

Former Noob Herder
    Shouldn't there be one shock that works in all of them with out any collisions? I mean who would buy this frame if they knew that for each different mount you would need a different sized shock?
    dude, these are Nicolais, have you ever looked at their other bikes? they love tons of adjustments and combos....and more importantly, holes.

Cynical Bystander
    You don't necessarily need a different sized shock for each one but they will each react differently to the shock that the others do, so if you wanted to make it react one way on a certain setting and you knew thats the setting you'd keep it in, then you wouldn't have to worry about changing it to a different size that still worked.

Honestly I think you've made this a bigger problem then it is and before you do anything or complain more about stuff, just sleep on it and call Nicolai when they open up.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Cynical Bystander
    dude, these are Nicolais, have you ever looked at their other bikes? they love tons of adjustments and combos....and more importantly, holes.
    Exactly. Some of the frames probably have dozens upon dozens of holes. who knows if any of them actually offer tested adjustments and changes to the bike. Maybe some of them were just placed in as speed holes and to lighten it up.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Former Noob Herder
    Exactly. Some of the frames probably have dozens upon dozens of holes. who knows if any of them actually offer tested adjustments and changes to the bike. Maybe some of them were just placed in as speed holes and to lighten it up.
    my buddies Nucleon ST is mind boggling, 3 holes on the swingarm, 9 holes on the shock rocker, adjustable dog-bone linkages, and i think 3 or 4 shock mounts.

Ok..... I'll tell you guys what they say... they are open tomorrow? I mean all I really want is the plushest/most travel... thats it so if I can do that with this shock that would be great... and ya Nicolai's have way to many holes... especially on their new ones

Cynical Bystander
    Ok..... I'll tell you guys what they say... they are open tomorrow? I mean all I really want is the plushest/most travel... thats it so if I can do that with this shock that would be great... and ya Nicolai's have way to many holes... especially on their new ones
    I dunno if they're open tomorrow, all I was saying is just quit stressing about it until you get the information from them, or you're going to end up doing something stupid liek selling it before you get your facts straight.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Glad to Be Alive
    Simple solution that should have been done in the beginning....Call Nicolai.....
    simple solution find a better mechanic on first set-up...you get what you paid for...sorry to say that...ring me up and lets play with that thing and all your settings
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    simple solution find a better mechanic on first set-up...you get what you paid for...sorry to say that...ring me up and lets play with that thing and all your settings
    don't call bob, call me, i've forgotton more than he will ever know........

TNC
    noMAD man

Hey Zedro, on options...

Now maybe a Nicolai has too many options (unknown to me), but I like options that allow one to use different length/stroke shocks and even different mediums (coil, air, or combo) to get different results. The Bullit with the shuttle and simple design allows this on a smaller scale. Obviously if the person has no clue on the most rudimentary issues about suspension principles, then they shouldn't go poking around without some onscene guidance, but what's your take on this? I like choices, and I only know enough to be dangerous...

your digits wch... I am going to see bob about bleeding my brakes in like 5 min....