Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Old School DH bikes

427K views 512 replies 250 participants last post by  wankme dave 
#1 · (Edited)
Who prefers rocking old school DH bikes?

The tech today is phenominal, but, the bike is only half the equation. I still rock my 2001 Super 8 and love the looks and compliments I get. It is a boost in ego too when you consistently pass the guys on newer bikes.

I have often thought about going the old school route and restoring older DH bikes with new components instead of buying a new rig. I know its not practical, but the cool factor (for me) is off the charts. Plus, that is the era I grew up in and nothing gets me going like an old Lobo DH or Lawwill Straight 8.

My outdated rig still rockin

See less See more
#100 ·
And was changed to the name DH Racer in 2000 (which of course became DHR). I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'm also not wrong.

Per the Turner website:

And since the model in question is from 2001, it's actually the DH Racer.

#103 ·
My best guess would be that the M1's are relatively easy to service, and those that cracked, cracked back in the day. The FSR represented a maintenance nightmare back then, and broke left and right (still does).

Also the M1's didn't all break the same place, so spares were a bit easier to get.

The M1 I showed a pic of earlier in this thread, though suffers the lack of such luxury, as those were made in relatively small numbers. The later models were made in huge numbers.

Magura :)

#108 ·
I think that it slightly resembles a new Shimano Saint rear derailleur. I also have no clue who made it either but whoever it was seems to have known a thing or two about dh.

#115 ·
yeah, wow good eye, I kinda forgot about that shock...It was a great upgrade from what I remember. The MC is long gone, I cracked the frame and sold the warranty replacement and picked up a Joker which got the Monster T. Still have that bike..

#121 ·
I did loads of riding on my old school Trek from 1996, but the weight of the bastard killed it for me. It now hangs in the workshop on the wall, it makes a better paper weight.
For those that dont know, Intense is having a parking lot sale on on Feb 24-25. See their face book for more info. Loads of bargains, old stock, discontinued models, ex team parts, forks wheels shocks, tires and most importantly. 2011 Demo bikes.