Ok, so heres the quiver situation, i need some ideas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ok, so heres the quiver situation, i need some ideas

I've got a Gemini with an 888RC and a fox DHX 5.0, both used only a season. I've got a supercross MX26 frame with cranks, BB, headset, bars and a DJ 2 fork. And I've got a nemesis project streetfighter frame. I've only got one set of wheels between the supercross and the Gemini, I switch on and off. Now my problem is that the Gemini is fine, I love it, but when I got up here to Michigan Tech I was completely humbled, and realized that my suspension makes up most of my skill. I want to learn to flow and to have better control of my bike.
    However, the quiver I've got now isn't really ideal for that, the supercross is too iffy to put a larger fork on it and take it on the downhills and the drops, and I'm getting nowhere with the Gemini.
    I do want to race this summer though, so keep that in mind.

Heres my idea now:
    1, part out the main components of the Gemini (888, DHX5, and the frame w/ its original shock)
    2. get rid of the supercross frame, its too in the middle to be useful.
    3. with the cash from the Gemini and all the extra parts lying around, buy a frame like a blk market mob or some super burly steel DJ frame and slap a pike 454 on that bike.
    4. eventually build the nemesis project for street use

I figure I could aquire some skills on the HT before really getting into racing, but for the moment i'd race on it anyways (the gemini wasn't set up for DH well either, the BB was sky high)

let me know what you think of this plan, any suggestions?

and by the way, OT, but what do you guys think of running a rigid BMX fork for the nemesis project, i've got that DJ 2, but I could save some cash going the former route

mtbr member
    Why are you "getting nowhere" with the gemini?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    Why are you "getting nowhere" with the gemini?
    I feel like I'm constantly relying on the suspension to get me down the mountain. I just barrel over sh!t that gets in my way and hope that the 888 will soak it up, which it does flawlessly I should add, but its not what I'm looking to get out of my riding.

Premium Member
    A Mob and a street bike would be too close in terms of use.

Get a 5-6" travel DH-oriented bike like a Bottlerocket or Enduro so you'll actually have to ride it instead of just running into things, and then have a street bike as well to hone your bike control on.

mtbr member
    What are you looking to get out of your riding then?
    If your only aim is to progress, go rigid, or hardtail, on tough trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    What are you looking to get out of your riding then?
    If your only aim is to progress, go rigid, or hardtail, on tough trails.
    Yea, I'm looking to progress, the trails around me aren't impossible to ride with a HT, in fact, I saw a bunch of people on the lift accessed trails with Mobs and similar bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist

Get a 5-6" travel DH-oriented bike like a Bottlerocket or Enduro so you'll actually have to ride it instead of just running into things, and then have a street bike as well to hone your bike control on.
    I can't spend any money out of pocket. And thats why I'd go with a HT frame and a pike or something like that, hopefully I'd get enough money for that with selling my DHX, the 888, and both frames.

mtbr member
    and I would like to get a Dj HT, but I'm struggling to find a good frame with good tire clearance. ANother reason to ditch the supercross, I had to put a 2.2 XC type tire because it wouldn't fit a 2.3 holy roller in the bach. Heres a question, would just riding a DJ HT for all applications help me to progress my riding? Or is it going to just be worse on me for DH?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist

I agree with this assessment. Consider the overlap of your quiver when buying new bikes. Seems like two HT's doesn't make much sense in this situation.

I like to have bikes that are more specific for their use so there isn't a question as to "which bike I should ride" for any particular location. For instance, if I'm riding Whistler, I bring the big bike. I'm riding a big xc ride, I bring my 4" rig. When I'm riding some climb and drops or plan to be riding more varied terrain, I bring my 6" bike.

I don't disagree that riding a HT will improve your line selection and overall bike handling skills, but having two doesn't make a lot of sense to me - if you're limited on cheddar. If anything, I'd just get different wheel setups for a HT...one for street and one for dirt.

EBX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    I agree with this assessment. Consider the overlap of your quiver when buying new bikes. Seems like two HT's doesn't make much sense in this situation.

I like to have bikes that are more specific for their use so there isn't a question as to "which bike I should ride" for any particular location. For instance, if I'm riding Whistler, I bring the big bike. I'm riding a big xc ride, I bring my 4" rig. When I'm riding some climb and drops or plan to be riding more varied terrain, I bring my 6" bike.

I don't disagree that riding a HT will improve your line selection and overall bike handling skills, but having two doesn't make a lot of sense to me - if you're limited on cheddar. If anything, I'd just get different wheel setups for a HT...one for street and one for dirt.

EBX
    Yea they would be set up different, the Nemesis project is a 24" specific frame, so my other HT would definitely be a 26"

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickqid
    and I would like to get a Dj HT, but I'm struggling to find a good frame with good tire clearance. ANother reason to ditch the supercross, I had to put a 2.2 XC type tire because it wouldn't fit a 2.3 holy roller in the bach. Heres a question, would just riding a DJ HT for all applications help me to progress my riding? Or is it going to just be worse on me for DH?
    get a chase FTW. tons of tire clearance

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004
    sell everything but the choicest parts (enough for one bike), buy a used bullit frame w/ an adjustable travel sc fork. Learn how to tune the suspension for anything.

Then shred.
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickqid
    I feel like I'm constantly relying on the suspension to get me down the mountain. I just barrel over sh!t that gets in my way and hope that the 888 will soak it up, which it does flawlessly I should add, but its not what I'm looking to get out of my riding.
    Just ride rough stuff on your street bike for awile then get back on your gemini, or set up your gemini in the shorter travel position, thats what i'm doing. My setup is 5.9 inches in the rear with a 6.7 inch sherman up front, and its much snappier and forces you to ride smoother.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyhippy
    sell everything but the choicest parts (enough for one bike), buy a used bullit frame w/ an adjustable travel sc fork. Learn how to tune the suspension for anything.

Then shred.
    aren't the Gemini and the bullit frames were fairly similar? a least not enough to warrant selling the Gemini to buy the bullit?

Members who have read this thread: 0