mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Ok Park Rats, what would you do?

Here is the question.

Upgrade current bike for park riding this summer, or buy used DH rig?

Current bike is a DB Misson 1, its 160 front and back, big burly aluminum frame. I ride all over the Tahoe area and consider myself a strong trail rider. Only upgrade so far has been the dropper and fox float x in the back.
    Ok Park Rats, what would you do?-unnamed-16-.jpgOk Park Rats, what would you do?-unnamed-14-.jpg

Things I would upgrade would be rims, front fork from a fox 34 to a 36 and bigger brakes. This summer will be my first time in a DH park and I WILL be taking lessons.

What do you guys think?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    How many park days do you plan to take? And which park? Northstar I assume?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    How many park days do you plan to take? And which park? Northstar I assume?

I plan on buying a pass for the entire summer and going at least one time a week. I'm committed, and yes northstar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think it depends on the terrain. I ride a Nomad v3 which I think is the perfect bike for Winter Park, but when I go to Keystone or Angel Fire I rent a full on DH sled. Why? First, full DH is so much more fun at those areas. Second, I don't ride those areas enough to justify the full cost of a DH rig. I see lots of 160mm bikes everywhere. If I were going DH every week, I'd get a full on DH rig though. That's enough use in my book to merit the full on rig (assuming rough terrain).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    every week, then get a DH bike.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Agree

mtbr member
    How do you plan to ride the trails? If you plan on riding with a lot of finesse, stick to milder trails and not World Cup it down Fabio falls, you should be fine. But if you want to go faster with a bit of a safety margin for error, definitely go with a DH bike. If you also plan to ride all day with minimal arm pump, long travel is the way to go. I have a buddy who rides all of Northstar on a hardtail, and he rides it fast. For 5 runs max. Then he's out. LOL!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for the input guys, I am definitely leaning towards a used DH rig.

But

Part of me wants to rent a DH sled for the lessons I take and then try it out on my bike after, and then decide if I need a DH bike. I don't know how rowdy I'm gunna get up there, until I go do it.

Do you guys think used bike prices are going to go up significantly in the beginning of summer compared to winter prices?

mtbr member
    I'm going to go contra to what everyone else is saying: seeing how you say you've never ridden in a park before, I don't see a benefit to getting a DH bike yet.

Do you really think you're riding at the limits of your bike? (no, you aren't; if you were a bike company would be giving you free bikes and you wouldn't be asking this question). It's always wise to change only one thing at a time; you're talking about very different riding situations than you've done before, taking lessons... doing all that on a new bike that's totally different than your current one doesn't seem smart. Nor does buying a dh bike without first having ridden a few (sizing is nothing like any other bike segment).
    And, since you're new to this, I suspect it will be a little while before you start riding the black trails fast enough that a DH bike will really shine vs what you have now.

Suggestion: I've never been to N*, but a lot of resorts that have better shops have demo programs; where you can ride a few bikes for about what a rental would cost, and you can apply the price to a purchase if you go that route. They also sell their demos at the end of the season. Ride every bike they have, buy your favorite at the end of the year. You'll have a year DH experience under your belt hopefully with the skills to make use of a DH sled, and know what you want from a bike and what fits.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPinReno View Post

Do you guys think used bike prices are going to go up significantly in the beginning of summer compared to winter prices?
    Now is the time. Demand (and, hence, prices) goes up in March / April as tax returns come in.

Ebay has lots of deals, look for:
    - auctions ending at odd hours, no one bids on these
    - sellers who forgot to put 'downhill bike' in their title. Most of the traffic to a listing comes from simple searches like 'downhill bike'. When a seller lists merely 'trek session' they don't get as much traffic. If it's a best offer they may accept a lower offer. If it's an auction you might get it for cheap. Search for every dh bike name you can find and see what you get.

Glad to Be Alive
    You can get smoking deals right now and even low ball people.....I would definately buy a used DH bike....it will be smoother and NorthStar has some really techy trails
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Depends on your riding ability, the bigger you go the more your going to want a bike that can handle it.

My first 6 months of DH were on a Specialized Enduro and it was more than capable of what I wanted it for but fast forward a year and I pretty much destroyed a Commencal Meta in an afternoon of riding (the forks both hubs anyway) while my DH bike was in bits.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've ridden at Northstar on both a DH and a "Lite Freeride" bike. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but I prefer a 170mm bike that I can pedal around easily when needed.

https://blog.bikeparkpro.com/win-a-2...s-4e12ef268836

Northstar is on the app & major prize giveaways for using it (Pivot Firebird, season passes, etc...)

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    every week, then get a DH bike.
    yep ...this is the smart choice...ll those upgrades are equivalent to a good used bike...and you won't beat up the trail bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I was in the same situation as you. I rode the bike parks (Mt Washington and Whistler) last year on my enduro bike, had a lot of fun. I plan to get a season pass for Mt Washington and go to Whistler a few times and maybe even Silver Star this year. Since I ride my enduro everywhere else including road trips I decided I wanted to save the wear and tear on it and get a DH bike just for the parks. I just bought a used DH bike for the parks. I still need to set up the bike for me and get used to it (novice rider), but I'm looking forward to it. I'm thinking a lesson would be a good idea as well.

mtbr member
    Riding Northstar once a week beats up even a full DH bike pretty good. An Enduro bike it's going to beat up even faster. If you want a new bike at a good price go check out a Commencal. Best bang for the buck right now. Been riding one at Northstar for two seasons now and it's holding up well. The new Furious sells direct for $2500 complete.

https://www.commencalusa.com/furious-c102x3221157